• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Why FA was down, but is up again now

dave hyena

A wonderous moorhen
Edit:

See preyfar's post/s in this thread:

http://www.furaffinityforums.net/showthread.php?tid=10970

(Preyfar and the Dragoneer are one and the same person, just different characters/nicks for the same guy, just for reference :) )

RE: Why FA is down

Yay Preyfar for fixing things ^.=.^ you gets a hug *hugs*

and thanks to you to for the update Dave ^.=.^ you also get hugs *hug* ^.=.^

others may be cynical, but i have blind faith in our admins, and thats good enough for me, I haven't seen enough bad from you guys to doubt your ability to pull FA from this debacle.

Good luck!

Bokracroc

Bokra, come out to pla-ay

Haha. This is awesome. Nearly the whole FA team is ran by a bunch of 11y olds with coding skills.
(Ps. Before anyone asks, the forums are on a different server)

DARKWOLFE

Dave Hyena said:
http://preyfar.livejournal.com/667354.html

Fur Affinity is offline temporarily.

Upon coming home tonight, Alkora approached me in IM and said he was having monetary issues due to college and, apparently, an unfortunate case of black mold. He then proceeded to inform me he was considering selling Fur Affinity to the highest bidder and was looking for $10,000, but would "make me a deal" for about $7-8,000.

Naturally, I took great offense to that. It almost felt like extortion. "Here, you pay me a $8,000, or I'll sell it to the highest bidder and you and everybody else will lose!" A rather damned if you do, damned if you don' moment.

I have dumped thousands of my own dollars into Fur Affinity, and all that Alkora has paid for... is the domain registration fee. That's it. Yes, we've all sunk hard earned time and money into the site, but he decided he wanted to sell the site for profit. Profit off of massive money I, and countless contributers put into the site. Over $15,000 worth of donations since June 2006, and that's nothing to laugh at.

Naturally, I hate two words for that, and they both ended with explicitives.

Alkora decided to re-direct his DNS for the site and post a rather nasty message, blaming me. Well, that's right. The blame all lies in me, because I refuse to pay thousands of dollars for what I have been primarily supporting financially by myself since December 2005. Alkora has barely spent a single penny on things, and I have the bills to prove it. I have the invoices for servers and hosting fees in my name. He created it, and for that I am thankful, but I am not going to bend over and pay to keep the community's site alive.

FA is not dead, and will return.

We're working on restoring services right now. Rest assured, your data is safe. I own the servers and they're currently in a secure position, and there's no worry of loss. As co-owner, I have kept the site secure, and as co-owner for FA, I am not going to see the site go under for one person's greed.

The site is a community site, not a business. I intend to keep it that way. I will not see Fur Affinity go under because somebody wants to auction it off to the highest bidder.

thats a bit of relief to know whats going on i was afraid that the site got hacked big time ,i was a bit alarmed at the thought of fa going down for good so shortly after i had joined it and got to thinking of it as my home away from home *so to speak*

themocaw

Question, in other words, the server data and information is safe, but the domain name is the only thing that was lost?

If so, I recommend that, when what was Furaffinity resurrects, the new domain name be "Alkoraisadouchebag.com" Succint and easy to remember.

themocaw

Question, in other words, the server data and information is safe, but the domain name is the only thing that was lost?

If so, I recommend that, when what was Furaffinity resurrects, the new domain name be "Alkoraisadouchebag.com" Succint and easy to remember.

net-cat

Infernal Kitty

$10K says Alkora is fapping to this.

Windows users can run this to work around this fuckery on their own computers:

Use at your own risk

Basically, it adds FA's IP address and domain names to your hosts file. Your old hosts file is stored as "host.prefafix" if it doesn't already exist.

To uninstall, this. Again, your own risk.

SilverAutomatic

The Sound of Madness

themocaw said:

I second this motion XD

I've got half a mind to do a little digging on the net and send a very nasty e-mail or two.

Tensik

Yeah, it is good to know that people who spend good money on keeping this place alive should always have a place to call home, isn't it, Dragoneer. *chuckles* ;)

That said, I'm 3 hours away from the kid, if you need a face to face representitive to help get this place back online, let me know.

Bokracroc

Bokra, come out to pla-ay

sad_kathras said:
Bokracroc said:
a bunch of 11y olds with coding skills.

I sincerely doubt that last bit, but then again I have high expectations.
Ok, fine.
A bunch of 11yr olds with mild collective of coding skills.

Fiz

shut up bitch

Yea, as if sending out nasty e-mails and making an insulting domain name is gonna halp the situation. lol

Artic

Not a Pony
RE: Why FA is down/ How to acess it now

FA was down for an hour... but now people can post pictures of theit characters not being able to eat their sandwiches again XD

All is well.

TORA

Banned
Banned

Not to take sides, but you may want to read this.

http://p4ve.livejournal.com/10812.html

Miriafox

FurAffinity.org is still not reserved. Just buy it, transfer over, done. I bet it won't cost you 8,000$ either.
10,000$ for Furaffinity's domain? LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL.
I mean seriously, this isn't the 90s anymore, Enron stock lost it's worth. It's not NFL.com.

SilverAutomatic

The Sound of Madness

Fiz said:
Yea, as if sending out nasty e-mails and making an insulting domain name is gonna halp the situation. lol

XD

Would sure as hell make me feel better though!

You'd be surprised what kind of info you can find on google Xd

RE: Why FA is down, but safe & how to acess it now

Forgive me, but considering that Jheryn is doing this, I'm really not too surprised. Looks like he's going to have to change his name again when everyone finds out.

Thank you Dragoneer for being so dedicated to us.

iller

TORA said:

If that's the case, then why did he try to SELL a non profit .net site for Profit?? Crap in his walls is no excuse to Pawn off something that was built on Donations. Let's assume Drag overreacted... so what... Over-reacting happens every 5 minutes in "furry". But selling off something that everyone else also kicked money into? For that matter, how acceptable is it to take back something you donated and sell it off based on some bullshit estimation of the latest total-package value? Sorry but that doesn't work with something that is greater than the sum of it's parts: AKA Artwork.

SilverAutomatic

The Sound of Madness

iller said:
TORA said:

If that's the case, then why did he try to SELL a non profit .net site for Profit?? Crap in his walls is no excuse to Pawn off something that was built on Donations. Let's assume Drag overreacted... so what... Over-reacting happens every 5 minutes in "furry". But selling off something that everyone else also kicked money into? For that matter, how acceptable is it to take back something you donated and sell it off based on some bullshit estimation of the latest total-package value? Sorry but that doesn't work with something that is greater than the sum of it's parts: AKA Artwork.

Not to mention the part where selling anything built on donations for profit is ILLEGAL and punishable by jail time. It can fall under Fraud or Misuse of donated funds.

Heh, both should get your name on a little folder marked 'under investigation'.