• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Why Feminism is poisoning the gaming industry and why anita sarkeesian needs to stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Why Feminism is poisoning the gaming industry and why anita sarkeesian needs to s

On the subject of Male and Female emotionality:

Women typically have more intense and frequent emotional responses than men do. It is not entirely clear if this is because Women feel emotions more intensely, or are just more likely to express them.

Feminists claim it's because women have smaller tear ducts XD

There certainly is a tendency to create a 'them and us' exclusive mentality, rather than an inclusive one, though.

At my sixth form college there were pro-gay posters everywhere, encouraging women to accept the existence of their 'inner lesbian'. My straight friends complained that they were fed up of being spammed with posters which were passively aggressive or asserted that they were bigoted, or were secretly repressing internal homosexual desires.

When I joined the student LGBT society I discovered that they were in the process of trying to get a female student formally disciplined because she had said that she thought lesbians kissing was gross, on twitter...as if that sort of thing actually matters or in any way inhibits the well being of real lesbians; why would they even care about that?

Eventually, when 'it's okay to be straight' posters started appearing in college posted by anonymous students, I had to explain to the LGBT society that this was a direct result of their 'them and us' mentality, which spoke-down to straight people as if they were merely either 'homophobes waiting to happen' or gay people repressing their true-selves, and that this was why there was a back-lash among the students that heterosexual isn't a pejorative term.

Exactly. The pendulum's now swung past center and is continuing in the wrong direction. The gay pride thing thankfully doesn't cause many real problems (though it is a pain in the ass), but feminism... blurgh. Feminism has served its purpose and is no longer needed in the first world, but feminists just keep going as if 'Murica is Bumfuck, Iraqistan.

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
Re: Why Feminism is poisoning the gaming industry and why anita sarkeesian needs to s

Female tear ducts genuinely do have a different anatomy to male ducts. So maybe that is part of the explanation of why they're 4 times more likely to cry than men.

Kellie Gator

Moral Minority

Female tear ducts genuinely do have a different anatomy to male ducts. So maybe that is part of the explanation of why they're 4 times more likely to cry than men.
Lol no. :I

Well, it's possible but I seriously doubt it. I'm on HRT as a trans woman, and the estrogen I'm taking sure as hell made me more prone to crying than before I was on hormones. Admittedly I haven't cried much lately but I guess it's that I'm kind of tough. But the idea that women cry more because of different tear ducts is something I'm going to call bullshit on until it's been proven otherwise.

Recel

Mamma Yeena

Tear ducts are there when you cry, not to make you cry. Now if you had said tear gland, the story might be more believable.
Tear ducts channel the tears towards the nose. They are just that. Ducts. They don't dispense Uncle Steve's Hot-sauce.

Last edited:

MalletFace

The slave of the Jlfksjlfl
Banned

Tear ducts are there when you cry, not to make you cry. Now if you had said tear gland, the story might be more believable.

Not that I've a degree in human anatomy, but your arteries are there when your heart beats, not to make your heart beat. Deformations in the arteries still change how your heart beats and how blood flows.

That an organ is not the direct cause of something generally doesn't mean it can't play a role.

Tear sacs are indeed probably what was meant, though.

Fallowfox

Lol no. :I

Well, it's possible but I seriously doubt it. I'm on HRT as a trans woman, and the estrogen I'm taking sure as hell made me more prone to crying than before I was on hormones. Admittedly I haven't cried much lately but I guess it's that I'm kind of tough. But the idea that women cry more because of different tear ducts is something I'm going to call bullshit on until it's been proven otherwise.

First off, I was wrong about ducts; it's actually the tear glands and levels of a hormone called 'Prolactin', which women produce more of. This may explain why female and male likelihood to cry is the same for children, but deviates during puberty.

This article by the American Psychological Association expands on a variety of ideas about crying:
http://www.apa.org/monitor/2014/02/cry.aspx

I'm not sure whether your experiences as a trans woman are relevant. I don't know whether your tear glands remain the same as before, if you produce more prolactin than before and so on.

Tear ducts channel the tears towards the nose. They are just that. Ducts. They don't dispense Uncle Steve's Hot-sauce.

It is the tear gland. I was mistaken when I said 'duct'.

Evidently nobody tried looking it up to check.

Kellie Gator

Moral Minority

I'm not sure whether your experiences as a trans woman are relevant. I don't know whether your tear glands remain the same as before, if you produce more prolactin than before and so on.
I regularly take blood tests to monitor my HRT and one of the things we always test is prolactin levels, so I think it's relevant, yes.

Kit411230

https://twitter.com/femfreq/status/620324929733394433

Oh my god! Arkham knigt is sexist after all, just look at all those dead men strewn around the floor. I wish she would stop being so biased & look at both sides.
It looks to me that her idea of a perfect feminist game is where the protagonist is exclusively female and the only villains, support characters and enemy's you can kill or be killed are only male

Kellie Gator

Moral Minority

https://twitter.com/femfreq/status/620324929733394433

Oh my god! Arkham knigt is sexist after all, just look at all those dead men strewn around the floor. I wish she would stop being so biased & look at both sides.
It looks to me that her idea of a perfect feminist game is where the protagonist is exclusively female and the only villains, support characters and enemy's you can kill or be killed are only male
There's a difference between men killing men and men killing women.

But if I recall correctly she did praise the female enemies in BioShock Infinite because they were portrayed as soldiers doing their job; they weren't killed for their gender and their deaths were never sexualized. My memory's a bit fuzzy to be honest, though.

Kellie Gator

Moral Minority

Isn't killing people in general a bigger moral problem?
That it is, but it's kind of how video games have been made for a long time, so... the lesser of multiple evils, I guess?

Fallowfox

I suspect that, since people have the wherewithall to realise that not all fictional characters' actions would be moral in real life, that there is no need to criticise fictional characters for insulting one another or treating each other with prejudicial attitudes.
They murder, cheat, steal and maim; as if anybody thinks any of those things are acceptable just because they've read about them in fiction.

Troj

Your Friendly Neighborhood Dino Therapist

In this case, I'd say that it's fair to critique or criticize art for a) failing at its basic mission or goal, b) representing a stupid or disagreeable point of view, or c) taking its implicit or unconscious assumptions about the world for granted.

It's not fair to criticize or critique a piece of art for merely representing or depicting something disagreeable, dumb, or immoral, especially if the art itself doesn't condone that view or behavior.

Also, while it might be reasonable or fair to argue that art influences people's values, beliefs, and emotions--especially on a subconscious or subtle level--generally, you sound like like a grade-A lunatic if you try to claim that a piece of art MAKES! people do bad things.

Azure

100% organic vegan hubbas

Anita Sarkeesian is a symptom of a society that has no idea what to give a fuck about anymore. Ignore her and she will disappear, and that right soon. Remember the first rule of the internet, and that is never take feminists seriously because the very NATURE of their being is sexist. Against men. Dont feed the troll.

Zuriak

Designated Bearforce

Anita Sarkeesian is a symptom of a society that has no idea what to give a fuck about anymore. Ignore her and she will disappear, and that right soon. Remember the first rule of the internet, and that is never take feminists seriously because the very NATURE of their being is sexist. Against men. Dont feed the troll.
Ignoring this won't make it go away, though it's unfortunate that criticism of Anita is brushed aside as harassment.

Kellie Gator

Moral Minority

In this case, I'd say that it's fair to critique or criticize art for a) failing at its basic mission or goal, b) representing a stupid or disagreeable point of view, or c) taking its implicit or unconscious assumptions about the world for granted.

It's not fair to criticize or critique a piece of art for merely representing or depicting something disagreeable, dumb, or immoral, especially if the art itself doesn't condone that view or behavior.

Also, while it might be reasonable or fair to argue that art influences people's values, beliefs, and emotions--especially on a subconscious or subtle level--generally, you sound like like a grade-A lunatic if you try to claim that a piece of art MAKES! people do bad things.
I don't see why it's not fair.

The idea that art makes people do bad things is debatable, yes, but otherwise you'll have to elaborate on that.

Fallowfox

The idea that art makes people do bad things is debatable, yes, but otherwise you'll have to elaborate on that.

People who criticise John Steinbeck for using the word 'Nigger' in his novel 'Of Mice and Men' are doing so unfairly, because John Steinbeck deliberately includes racist characters in order to highlight the injustice of racism.

All sorts of such criticisms are made, often by people who haven't even read or watched the content they are criticising.

They're part of the 'everything is prejudiced' parade, who seem to think that merely mentioning unsavoury topics is tantamount to advocating them. :\

Ieono

Uberaffe

They're part of the 'everything is prejudiced' parade, who seem to think that merely mentioning unsavoury topics is tantamount to advocating them. :\

Well, you do perpetuate those things by mentioning them, especially on a platform that is widely viewed by the masses. Some would argue that many social issues still exist because they are given so much attention in society.

Troj

Your Friendly Neighborhood Dino Therapist

Sure.

Mainly, the argument that plays/paintings/novels/music/movies/TV shows/video games will drive people to commit evil and immoral acts is as old as art itself--and each time, with each new form of expression, we find that the doom-and-gloom predictions just didn't hold water.

You can point to some examples of (often mentally-ill or already-agitated) people seemingly being inspired to negatively imitate or emulate some piece of art or media, but in terms of the everyday, most people manage to listen to music, watch TV shows, and play video games without any visible issues.

But, you can rightly claim that, say some forms of media can spark a temporary increase in aggression, because there's research to support that. You can rightly argue that media shapes our beliefs and values, because you can support that argument with examples.

So, in terms of your argument, it's about not biting off more than you can chew, and not making a claim or a prediction you can't defend with research or verifiable anecdotes.

CrazyLee

Biggest buttplug ever

Ignoring this won't make it go away, though it's unfortunate that criticism of Anita is brushed aside as harassment.

Polite criticism is fine. Taking someone's arguments, explaining one by one why you think they are wrong, providing evidence and studies to try to prove your point is fine.

Threatening, harassment, violation of one's privacy and personal info, trolling, and stuff like that is not. It's immature, it's stupid. But of course none of that ever happened in the minds of the gamergaters. It's harder to admit that some people on one's side are being uncivilized because god forbid, then that makes one's position wrong somehow and makes the other side, the side that you're taking an extreme position against in typical tribalistic behavior, somehow right. Nope, easier to blame it on the other side making shit up rather than make your own side look wrong in any way at all.

Zuriak

Designated Bearforce

Polite criticism is fine. Taking someone's arguments, explaining one by one why you think they are wrong, providing evidence and studies to try to prove your point is fine.

Threatening, harassment, violation of one's privacy and personal info, trolling, and stuff like that is not. It's immature, it's stupid. But of course none of that ever happened in the minds of the gamergaters. It's harder to admit that some people on one's side are being uncivilized because god forbid, then that makes one's position wrong somehow and makes the other side, the side that you're taking an extreme position against in typical tribalistic behavior, somehow right. Nope, easier to blame it on the other side making shit up rather than make your own side look wrong in any way at all.
You can blatantly lie if you want to, we've already admitted that there are the bad apples within GamerGate. Thanks for agreeing with me in the second part of your post (the majority, anyway) -- harassment and trolling is simply unacceptable but the SJWs and news media need to reexamine their position on this. It's been said from a reliable source that members of the media are afraid to speak out against these people lest they get harassed themselves. Additionally, to further prove you wrong: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2ih2OuqKXQ

Proof of a false flag operation by Gawker a few minutes in. There's a bunch more online if you want to look yourself, but it's horrible dishonest to use a few messages and emails in order to disregard criticism and what not. Put your blinders on and continue on your merry way, you're obviously not interested in an honest discussion.

Kellie Gator

Moral Minority

You can blatantly lie if you want to, we've already admitted that there are the bad apples within GamerGate. Thanks for agreeing with me in the second part of your post (the majority, anyway) -- harassment and trolling is simply unacceptable but the SJWs and news media need to reexamine their position on this. It's been said from a reliable source that members of the media are afraid to speak out against these people lest they get harassed themselves. Additionally, to further prove you wrong: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2ih2OuqKXQ

Proof of a false flag operation by Gawker a few minutes in. There's a bunch more online if you want to look yourself, but it's horrible dishonest to use a few messages and emails in order to disregard criticism and what not. Put your blinders on and continue on your merry way, you're obviously not interested in an honest discussion.
Don't use random YouTube basement dwellers as a source to back up your claims. Might as well use fucking Wikipedia while you're at it.

Zuriak

Designated Bearforce

Don't use random YouTube basement dwellers as a source to back up your claims. Might as well use fucking Wikipedia while you're at it.
http://i.imgur.com/ctDHjfG.jpg

>implying Sargon isn't reliable and disregarding him entirely because of your feelings
>implying Wikipedia isn't reliable with links to sources and page protection

You've already proven that you're only in here to troll and try to poison the well, so the speak. You don't need to keep convincing us of this, trust that we already understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.