• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Why Hello Error 503!

CinoxFellpyre

Banned
Banned
It seems FA crashed.

Oh woe is us. We are all doomed for the next hour.

Seriously, we need a limit on how to reduce the flood....

BRN

WTB Forum Mod Powers
It seems FA crashed.

Oh woe is us. We are all doomed for the next hour.

Seriously, we need a limit on how to reduce the flood....

Why did you make a thread about this, here, and now?

Hit refresh. Problem solved. Of course it'll be slow for a while; four hundred thousand furs with fap withdrawal barging in at once.

CinoxFellpyre

Banned
Banned
Why did you make a thread about this, here, and now?
Well, I was actually suggesting there should be something to lower the traffic and let it gradually return.

I swear DDoS attacks are nothing compared to a torrent of sexually frustrated furries drowning the site.

BRN

WTB Forum Mod Powers
I'll assume you mean 'lower the traffic so long as I can get mine and fuck the people who miss out'.

CinoxFellpyre

Banned
Banned
I'll assume you mean 'lower the traffic so long as I can get mine and fuck the people who miss out'.
Yes and no.

yes cause I wanna see how long it takes for the site to fully crash, and no cause I'm sitting idly by, clicking F5 every now and again.

L

LizardKing

Almost the entire front page is just "Image not found"

Ouch. Is that just me?

THE SERVER HATES YOU ALL. RAARGH.

WolfGuy100

I got 503 too, damn it. And I was trying to post a damn journal. Geez, admins need to get it right. (No offense to admins.)

BRN

WTB Forum Mod Powers
Yes and no.

yes cause I wanna see how long it takes for the site to fully crash, and no cause I'm sitting idly by, clicking F5 every now and again.

How pissed would you be if FA was up but you were denied access? "Hey guys FAs up but only this particularly country gets access for now, lol"

CinoxFellpyre

Banned
Banned
How pissed would you be if FA was up but you were denied access? "Hey guys FAs up but only this particularly country gets access for now, lol"
Not a big deal, I'm having other things entertain me. Like this forum.

EDIT: I also wanted to put this in off-tpoic but was thinking it'd be wrong forum

Last edited:

Gizgiz

I would love to see some stats about how many pageviews there is per second right now :p And bandwidth and stuff ;>

Aden

Play from your ****ing HEART
Did yak not say in the thread that it'll take some minutes for the site to be up to full capacity again?

CinoxFellpyre

Banned
Banned
I would love to see some stats about how many pageviews there is per second right now :p And bandwidth and stuff ;>
There is a program that is a packetsniffer but it's illegal to use it for anything like the way you'd want to, or any way at all.

Did yak not say in the thread that it'll take some minutes for the site to be up to full capacity again?
I stopped reading it, and I figured hey, why not talk about it, cause I know damn well someone will complain, so I get it before they do.

Ixtu

I'm sad that the outage didn't last longer.
Wanted to build up on stuff to flood.
Aw well, maybe next outage.

Wet Coyote

I've been error/slowdown/503 and such free since I blocked ox.furaffinity.net. Where ever that points, whatever it does, its slow as fug and needs a kick in its nutz... Blocking it did not hurt access or use of FA for me, but stuff loads hella faster and no errors.

marmelmm

Hat...'Stache...Legend.
I've been error/slowdown/503 and such free since I blocked ox.furaffinity.net. Where ever that points, whatever it does, its slow as fug and needs a kick in its nutz... Blocking it did not hurt access or use of FA for me, but stuff loads hella faster and no errors.

That's apparently the server for the ads, near as I can tell.

-MMM-

yak

Site Developer
Administrator

The site has an average of ~6k online users (who requested a page in less 15 min ago), with a spread between 10k and 3k.
A statistic taken one morning a week ago shows 1,075,785 pages served in ~7 hours
Bandwidth consumption averages between 120-230Mbit

ox.fa.net is the ad server. However FA's code has been written in such a way that it's slowness does not affect the speed at which FA loads it's pages, and does not break anything even if the ad server is offline.
The ad server has admittedly been slow lately. This will be looked into the first chance I get.

Pi

There is a program that is a packetsniffer but it's illegal to use it for anything like the way you'd want to, or any way at all..

Hi, I use a packet sniffer on a daily basis as part of my job. Care to clarify your statement?

Yak, is this PHP still dumping core, or would that produce a whitescreen? remember: ulimit -c unlimited; gdb program corefile. :p

Pi

No, if you didn't understand what I meant, then no point explaining.

Really? I understood what you said. I just couldn't derive any meaning from it, because it was a) really, really vague and b) complete horseshit.

Lemme try this again: Under what circumstances is using a packet sniffer illegal?

Remember: a packet sniffer is a tool that I use on a regular basis. If you can't explain what you mean, in a way that someone who is intimately familiar with the TCP/IP specification can understand (hi!), then I'm pretty sure it's not my problem.

PS: a packet sniffer is not usually a tool that is generally used to gather pageload and bandwidth statistics. one usually does that using the web server logs.

CinoxFellpyre

Banned
Banned
Really? I understood what you said. I just couldn't derive any meaning from it, because it was a) really, really vague and b) complete horseshit.

Lemme try this again: Under what circumstances is using a packet sniffer illegal?

Remember: a packet sniffer is a tool that I use on a regular basis. If you can't explain what you mean, in a way that someone who is intimately familiar with the TCP/IP specification can understand (hi!), then I'm pretty sure it's not my problem.

PS: a packet sniffer is not usually a tool that is generally used to gather pageload and bandwidth statistics. one usually does that using the web server logs.

Sure! I can do that!

I know people use packetsniffers like Wireshark to determine what traffic that is unwanted to filter out and blahblah CISCO blah.

But there are programs out there that can sniff in places they're not supposed to.

Simply enough, I mean that if you're unauthorized to go sniffing around, then by law (and I mean derp law) that's illegal.

And I also know what a packet sniffer does =.= Just it was late.

And I was derp

Last edited:

Pi

I know people use packetsniffers like Wireshark to determine what traffic that is unwanted to filter out and blahblah CISCO blah.
Unwanted traffic? Filter out? No. No, no, no. A packet sniffer captures packets. It's just a troubleshooting tool. If you're wanting to, say, build up your firewall rules, doing it with a packet sniffer isn't the best idea; try a port scanner (this is another tool which I use on a semiregular basis).

Also, I'm disinclined to listen to you when you say things like "and blahblah CISCO blah". Try to be precise when you're discussing technical concepts, please.

But there are programs out there that can sniff in places they're not supposed to.
No, actually, there aren't. You can't just say "i wanna sniff the traffic all the way over there today!". Did you perhaps confuse reality with a bad television show? Or are you talking about how one can sniff traffic on shared-medium networks (cf wifi)? Because that's not strictly illegal either.

NB: You might also be thinking of a rootkit, but your phrasing suggests a certain amount of handwaving. Can you perhaps elaborate on this remark a little further? Your vagueness isn't really helping me get a handle on what the everloving fuck you're thinking.

Simply enough, I mean that if you're unauthorized to go sniffing around, then by law (and I mean derp law) that's illegal.
This is what you just said: breaking the law is against the law. Thanks for that elucidating insight!

And I also know what a packet sniffer does =.= Just it was late. And I was derp
I'm pretty sure that you don't, tbqh. But you are being pretty derp. Have fun with that.

Last edited:

CinoxFellpyre

Banned
Banned
Unwanted traffic? Filter out? No. No, no, no. A packet sniffer captures packets. It's just a troubleshooting tool. If you're wanting to, say, build up your firewall rules, doing it with a packet sniffer isn't the best idea; try a port scanner (this is another tool which I use on a semiregular basis).
I didn't say the sniffer filters out. I said "o determine what traffic that is unwanted to filter out." That means you need to do it manually (ACLs....fuck them >.=.<)

Also, I'm disinclined to listen to you when you say things like "and blahblah CISCO blah". Try to be precise when you're discussing technical concepts, please.
No because I don't want to get into a bunch of technical stuff because I really really hate explaining things. I'm better at just doing them.

No, actually, there aren't. You can't just say "i wanna sniff the traffic all the way over there today!". Did you perhaps confuse reality with a bad television show? Or are you talking about how one can sniff traffic on shared-medium networks (cf wifi)? Because that's not strictly illegal either.

NB: You might also be thinking of a rootkit, but your phrasing suggests a certain amount of handwaving. Can you perhaps elaborate on this remark a little further? Your vagueness isn't really helping me get a handle on what the everloving fuck you're thinking.

I'm pretty sure that you don't, tbqh. But you are being pretty derp. Have fun with that.
Thanks for your input about how much shit dribbles out of your mouth.

Pi

I didn't say the sniffer filters out. I said "o determine what traffic that is unwanted to filter out." That means you need to do it manually (ACLs....fuck them >.=.<)
As I said, using a packet sniffer is a pretty bad choice there. Try a port scanner.

No because I don't want to get into a bunch of technical stuff because I really really hate explaining things. I'm better at just doing them.
Y'know, I have never found that to be the case. If you can't explain what you're doing, then you're not smart enough to be doing it well.

Thanks for your input about how much shit dribbles out of your mouth.
Excuse me? Are you going to elaborate upon your claims, or simply assert that I'm full of shit? I'm pretty sure you don't know what you're talking about, and when you make remarks like this, that simply reinforces that impression. Do you have any technical qualifications whatsoever?