• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Why is fa down? (click for information...)

Alkora

Mysql just corrupted itself quite badly...I'm not sure if it's the version that is running or what...gushi also mentioned something about doing a tweak to the server, it may also have gone offline for a few minutes.

Lili Fox

Erf! >.< Man, that really sucks! Hope things work out and all the files and hard work you did was unharmed!

*hugs*

Tikara

The Local Purple Mew
Durn... it's alright, take your time. Heck if we can wait for the months that FA has been down, we can wait another day or two. xD

*slapped*

Dobie

Bummer... Heh... and I've been waiting to post up my comic too ^^;

Ah well ^^ I can wait :D

White

I guess you guys didnt take regular backups from the database cuz it was a test, too bad that happened :/

Alkora

no, this was just for what was uploaded and people who were registered today and today only...

Neonflash

Kinda sucky but ah well x.x hopefully when it's back up I'll be able to log into my old account [or even my new tempory would be good, registered it and it didnt work]

beckaz

Oh, come on, it's not like these guys are getting paid for what they're doing here. Whether you're surprised or not, nobody can predict how something like this will behave when you first try and set it up. So be nice. :wink:

Suule

We have the server, we have the software... All we have to do now is wait for the problems to be resolved.

starlite528

Computer problems.

I don't know about other people who build computers, but in all my years working with them, I have always ALWAYS had some kind of issue when putting together a new system from scratch. You really can never tell if something is going to work the way you hope and plan. My latest computer build, I didn't realize the microsoft is stuck in the past, requiring the use of an internal floppy disk to install a 3rd party scsi driver from floppy. I thought I could get away with using current technology (external USB floppy drive), but NOOOOOoooooo. I ordered a UPS to save my computer and my hair from the constant power issues we have on post here in Egypt, but that didn't work because it thinks that 50hz equals a power failure. So I had to buy a second one. The power supply in my box, which is a PC Power and Cooling supply, has a weird issue (not sure if it is my motherboard, an Abit AX8 or the PS) has a weird issue. If I turn off power to the machine, it wont be able to start up unless I leave mains off for an extended period of time.

Then comes the operating system. Whether you choose linux or Windows. In windows, you always need to go through a bunch of bologna to download updated drivers and software, let alone the windows updates. In linux, it's slightly less tedious if you're using a latest build. All you really need to do for major customization is recompile a kernel for your box.

I put together a system once from brand new parts, and had to replace the motherboard right away due to it being faulty.
One guy gave me a laptop to fix that was dead. Turns out it had a family of tiny (and also dead) roaches living inside.

My point is, and has been made by another, is that you can never expect things to go perfectly when you fire it up for the first time. A lot of effort has been put into making this stuff work, and by God it will be done soon!

Suule

Pretty much I agree with above. There is ALSO an issue with second/third-party software needed to run things (drivers. libraries and such) that can literaly fuck up a perfectly good system.

In the analysis of error - the basic statistic law is that the samll errors will eventualy sum up causing a rather big error. The more complex the experiment - the bigger the error value might come out. The same laws apply to the computers it seems.

Archaic systems as DOS were simple - most program used low-level programming to access the computer features rather than use the kernel functions. When system evolved the kernels and the drivers connected with it started to be more complex, adding more and more code to mantain, more bugs, more loose ends that could affect the effeciency of the whole machine. And now we have second-third party libs to add more bugs to that equation and we have something an engineer would call "Truly unefficient system". Still we have nothing else to replace it with at this time.

My point is, and has been made by another, is that you can never expect things to go perfectly when you fire it up for the first time. A lot of effort has been put into making this stuff work, and by God it will be done soon!

Amen to that

Tabuu-Lion

Good luck with getting everything back up and running again.

Pico

So, will the accounts we created yesterday still exist when the site comes back, or will we have to register again?