• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Why is fa down? (click for information...)

Guppy

My guess is you'll have to re-register, since the database corrupted well before any backups could be made.

Dragoneer

Site Developer
Staff member
Site Director
Administrator
Pico said:
So, will the accounts we created yesterday still exist when the site comes back, or will we have to register again?
Everything should be fine but honestly... we don't know. We can't even figure out why mySQL is corrupting itself repeatedly, but we're fixing it. I think everything should be fine.

Dragoneer

Site Developer
Staff member
Site Director
Administrator
starlite528 said:
My point is, and has been made by another, is that you can never expect things to go perfectly when you fire it up for the first time. A lot of effort has been put into making this stuff work, and by God it will be done soon!
Well, the main problem? The beta server was running on a temp system tha Gushi had setup, and we had never actually run FA on the primary server. We got it up and running, and everything was smooth as far as we could tell - all systems go.

We ran it, everything was fine... for... about 20 minutes, then we ran into issues. Unfortunately, there was no real way to foresee that. Perhaps, in hindsight, we should have run a temp beta on the new system to test it out, but everything seemed to be in order, so... =/

falderal

Preyfar said:
Pico said:
So, will the accounts we created yesterday still exist when the site comes back, or will we have to register again?
Everything should be fine but honestly... we don't know. We can't even figure out why mySQL is corrupting itself repeatedly, but we're fixing it. I think everything should be fine.

I was thinking, one of my instructors said he programs SQL (, and he teaches the SQL class at my schoo,) for Kays Merchandise.

mySQL is something different, is it? Or is it based on SQL?

Anyways, mayhap you could send me the problem spots and I could catch him and see if he'll give a look over it and see what he thinks.

Just wanting to help you out for letting me put my stuff on your servers.

Let me know soon, though, as the semester is coming to a close and I may not be able to catch him after it's over.

gryc_ueusp

I assume the database is randomly corrupting with no real rhyme or reason...

:idea:
If you get stuck and can't figure out what it's doing or why, perhaps you could duplicate the setup the beta had, and slowly change it over to what the server has now.
From there, you can figure out how and why it's freaking out.

Guppy

Hope you figure it out, random things like this can be infuriating... double check the versions between the server and the beta...

Goodluck.

Verona

Verona
Oh man! Most of the Fur Affinity members have been waiting for the update and now this. Not good!

Dragoneer

Site Developer
Staff member
Site Director
Administrator
Verona said:
Oh man! Most of the Fur Affinity members have been waiting for the update and now this. Not good!
It's a slight setback. Not weeks, not months... =P Don't worry, we'll be up soon.

uncia2000

Preyfar said:
Verona said:
It's a slight setback. Not weeks, not months... =P Don't worry, we'll be up soon.
Days or years, then? :D
*g* sry, 'yena ^^

Agree w/Guppy re. double checking all s/w versions on the two platforms, but am sure y'all have that in hand.
thx :)

Darren_Zeraus

Packlion Industries
Well, we've been through worse waiting for Furaffinity to come back up, I think we can wait another week or so for them to get all of this strightened out.

Dragoneer

Site Developer
Staff member
Site Director
Administrator
uncia2000 said:
Preyfar said:
<sarcasm> FurAffinity will be online when Duke Nukem Forever hits stores! </sarcasm>

*snicker*

uncia2000

Preyfar said:
uncia2000 said:
Preyfar said:
<sarcasm> FurAffinity will be online when Duke Nukem Forever hits stores! </sarcasm>

*snicker*
*floofly snow'pard headbutts @ Preyfar* :lol:

Only eight years and counting! :twisted:
http://www.3drealms.com/duke4/
"The release date... is "When it's done". Anything else, and we mean anything else is someone's speculation. There is no date. We don't know any date. If you have a friend who claims they have "inside info", or there's some game news site, or some computer store at the mall who claims they know - they do not. They are making it up. There is no date. Period"

Hey, we're not that optimistic around here, are we? :p

Verona

Verona
Preyfar said:
Verona said:

I hope! Because I miss it! :mrgreen:

Myr

Big Dragon
Is it Halloween yet? Has two weeks pasted yet? Honestly, with all the bug squashing and attention to code that was said around here and on the beta, this time I'm surprised. The delays weren't surprising, but the up and down in a matter of hours was quite surprising.

I would have expected FA or AP to be up by now. You two must be hiding something behind the scenes. It's a conspiracy!!!

I'm glad I have a DA account again. Good luck.

falderal

AuroranDragon said:
Is it Halloween yet? Has two weeks pasted yet? Honestly, with all the bug squashing and attention to code that was said around here and on the beta, this time I'm surprised. The delays weren't surprising, but the up and down in a matter of hours was quite surprising.

I would have expected FA or AP to be up by now. You two must be hiding something behind the scenes. It's a conspiracy!!!

I'm glad I have a DA account again. Good luck.

I think all those candy bars have gotten to yer head. :wink:

But seriously, FA allows more content and less censorship than DA or many other places will tolerate.
You realize how much money goes into these things, with the Domain payments and paying for a permanent IP address, and upgrading?
Then the long and extensive code preparations and fixings.
You're lucky they don't all ask for money upfront.
I really wish they all would. It would help out extensively with some websites, including FA.
Is it really cheaper to go out and buy paper and pencils and draw things than it is to maintain a server online?

So, count your blessings because it's free.

Well, I shouldn't talk as I recently got myself webspace at fortunecity :oops:

Course if you pay for your DA account then I just did one of these as well :-X

Myr

Big Dragon
falderal said:
I think all those candy bars have gotten to yer head. :wink:

But seriously, FA allows more content and less censorship than DA or many other places will tolerate.
You realize how much money goes into these things, with the Domain payments and paying for a permanent IP address, and upgrading?
Then the long and extensive code preparations and fixings.
You're lucky they don't all ask for money upfront.
I really wish they all would. It would help out extensively with some websites, including FA.
Is it really cheaper to go out and buy paper and pencils and draw things than it is to maintain a server online?

So, count your blessings because it's free.

Well, I shouldn't talk as I recently got myself webspace at fortunecity :oops:

Course if you pay for your DA account then I just did one of these as well :-X
Candy bars are delicious. :D mmmm *rubs belly*

And I am well aware of the differences between DA and FA. I am also well aware of the complexity of making all of the coding things work and the amount of time it takes to accomplish such a task and the respective costs of it. But when I make a video game and it has bugs, put it to beta and address the issues, and then finish it off for a full release generally it gets better with each step since things that are not broken are not adjusted. It's a very very very slim chance that something crippling happens and is not addressed by the program or already checked out once it hits that final stage (in fact, it's never happened so far). If EA releases a video game in beta for retail purchase (BF2) and then breaks it with a patch I'm going to be mad at them so obviously the same would hold true against the FA beta and FA release. Fortunately, the game kinda still works rather than deleting itself out.

As for the cost, I used to harp on how things need to be looked at from a business point of view, but that was ignored enough times I have stopped wanting to go down the route of explaining what I mean.

So, basically, you haven't been around to see all the posts I made in the past. While I do appreciate the service and gave my good luck wishes, I do un-attach myself from things after they fail to work for extended periods of time for no obivious reason despite tons of appearant work put into something.

AquaPhin

Banned
Banned
man this sucks! me and cyrin were excited, it went down before cyrin could get on.....damn................so is there anything i can do to help you guys?