• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Why is modern music like farting with a mixture of Arabic, Indian and English?

Seriously, I don't understand modern songs. Lately I have been listening to Chopin very often and modern music compared to that this shit. Bits, someone farting, and some dude I can't see, but I'm sure he's wearing an open jacket and short pants, trying to tell me with chunks of a sentence in some Martian language that he loves his woman.

295S.gif

I recently found a dude who explained Rolle's theorem to me in his song (in Russian). This is the best music I've listened to.

I see three main issues here:
1) Modern technology makes spreading any form of art (including music) easier, so good music and the not-so-good music has roughly equal chances of being spread.
2) The “popularity” of many musicians nowadays largely depends not on their talent, but on the amount of money they (or their sponsors) can spend on marketing and advertising.
3) The degradation of taste. Yes, many modern musicians (esp. rappers) can be IMO bad, but that’s what the masses want. They will stick to stuff that brings in money and ensures attention.

hara-surya

Deviated Prevert
There's plenty of good music. Billboard Top 40 has never been where to find it. Look up the "Payola Scandal" and realize that the labels never stopped bribing radio stations. (Kind of like how American politicians don't accept bribes because they're called "campaign donations.")

For that matter, the New York Times Bestseller List (and other legacy best seller lists) was equally rigged by publishers telling booksellers what to tell the paper, as opposed to what actually sold. Amazon broke the back of the NYT Bestseller list because they simply had their site show what books actually sold in the highest numbers.

dragon-in-sight

mane diva
I'm not a big fan of classic music. Chopin, Mozart and co may have been great artits of their time. But their sound is verry stiff and ivory-towered. It's a kind of music you listen with your mind. But for me, good music has to be felt by the heart. However most modern popsongs aren't much better in regards to that. They are soulless cookiecutter works, plotting meaningless lyrics on the same rythems over and over. I'm more a fan of music that breaks out of the usual norms and patterns. And there are quite some good exemples where classic music was reinterpreted by modern artists. Like the the remake of the 11. century cantata Carmina Burana by Corvus Corox.

Stray Cat Terry

테리 / 特里 / テリー
That's why I only dig into bgms and/or osts...

And by the way, most K-pops are all around love and/or hate relationship stuff, or even with sexual appeals, for years... Which started to give me cringes. (Yes I'm Korean) And not to mention the pronunciations on English lyrics involved are crap too in those songs.

hara-surya

Deviated Prevert
I'm not a big fan of classic music. Chopin, Mozart and co may have been great artits of their time. But their sound is verry stiff and ivory-towered.

In his day Mozart was the opposite of stiff and ivory-towered. He was actually pretty notorious for the low-brow operas he wrote, along with (famously) a popular song about farting.

It's heavily fictionalized, but the movie Amadeus does a good job of showing some of that.

dragon-in-sight

mane diva
In his day Mozart was the opposite of stiff and ivory-towered. He was actually pretty notorious for the low-brow operas he wrote, along with (famously) a popular song about farting.

It's heavily fictionalized, but the movie Amadeus does a good job of showing some of that.

I know his works and biography. It's a staple of music education in every german elementary school, aswell as the works of Beethoven, Bach, Brahms, Strawinsky, Händel and Bedřich Smetana. I still remember that I had to write an essay about the mouldau symphonie in 3rd class for beeing naughty.

D

Deleted member 134556

Eh, there's plenty of modern music I enjoy listening to.

Also props for the South Park reference. That was a good episode.

lemonadevik

Lemonade Goblin
Damn, I do not like the energy this post has made in the studio today lmao. Sorry you don't like modern music but like all of music throughout time there are hundreds of genres with millions of musicians. Just because you have a certain taste doesn't mean you have to insult everything else. Yeah yeah, I am probably just getting butt-hurt from this but its because I am a musician, and a lot of modern-day music, bands, and solo artists mean a lot to me. Just because you're not a fan of what's popular doesn't mean good music stopped being produced in previous decades/centuries.

Last edited:

hara-surya

Deviated Prevert
I viewed this post as someone saying "I don't own a TV." That's cute dear, you can be a social cripple and not understand your fellow citizens and then wonder why you're not invited to parties...

I once had someone try to show how "cultured" they were by saying they don't watch American TV because they only watch anime. The Southern Belle came out of me and I replied, "Well bless your heart. I guess that does make you special." (For the record I'm a Hoosier, but Kentucky is a stone's throw away from me.)

smolmuffin

A teeny muffin
I don't really click with a lot of the newer stuff played on the radio. I haven't listened to the radio significantly in YEARS. Of course back then, I was younger and had a slightly different taste in music.

But this doesn't mean all modern music is "bad", its just finding what you like. Thankfully the internet makes this easier but it can still be a challenge. I think its more of a issue with what is provided to the public (what is played on radios) than what is actually being produced. There's many talented musicians and artists out there, people just need to seek them out.

I try to respect any types of music even if I dislike it because there was time and talent put into it. I've tried to produce my own stuff and its very difficult. So I've learned to respect the most obnoxious beats.