• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Why is this a thing??

SpiritMachine

Butt Sniffer
Its a name of a youtube show that, as its title suggests, questions why some things are things. You may go ahead and wonder aloud here, but heres what I wonder....

Why is coming out as a furry a thing? Like its some sort of sexual identification.
Its almost like I should come out about everything.

"Dad... I have something to tell you, you may wanna sit down for this... I.... am a WEEB"
DUN DUN DUUUUUN

or...

"Mom, I have to come clean, I cant keep this a secret any longer and I just have to get this off my chest and TELL SOMEONE! mom... I enjoy pop music."

I unno. just a thought.

lyar

Its not the human race, its just the human race
I unno. just a thought.
I unno either man. I guess it eats at people. You're examples are made jokingly but that's how it is for some people. Some people hate being secretive about being a furry and feel the need to express it.

Toby_Morpheus

Hello, Proto
Some people just can't handle the cloak and dagger stuff.
Hiding something about themselves from people they love in fear of persecution isn't something a lot people can handle.

At minimum, coming out is a way to ensure what they feel about others is true; whether or not they will persecute them.

Astus

Well Known Foxxo
People treat it like something that is a big deal because of how others have reacted to finding it out before, they think it's important based on the interaction of others when it's really not. The reason that people like to share things about themselves is because one it makes their life easier not having to hide things, as well they get a nice reward to their brain for being honest which most of us have been conditioned to do

D

Deleted member 82554

Well you see, it all starts with your typical furfag and sex. Many furfags feel that they cannot express their fet freely around normies and therefore feel repressed, so they have to make a point of what they're into so they can.

Don't hate, embrace the fet and one day everyone will be like us.
:v

PINK!

A lot of people are afraid of their friends or loved ones knowing they're a furry because of the all of the negativity associated with furries. (At least, that's how it is for me.) Most people assume all furries are perverts, or want to have sex with animals, or have sex in fursuits, or other things like that. I try not to really hide that I'm a furry to others, because I don't feel bad about it. Because I'm not doing anything sexual with animals, nor do I fantasize about it. I just like the fandom and what it involves, and pretending to be an animal. My "normal" friends know I'm a furry, and they don't care, because I don't make it to be something that should be kept secret or is normally creepy.

Why is coming out as a furry a thing? Like its some sort of sexual identification.
People might be interpreting being a furry as a sexual identification (most likely because of all the sexualized anthro art and pr0nz) so some people might feel the need to "come out", whether to admit they're into that or trying to correct others' tainted views on the meaning of being a furry. Well that's what I think.
But really, it isn't a sexuality. Just a hobby/interest in the concept of anthro animals.
It becomes a thing because people make it a thing. Therefore it's a "thing" now..apparently....

Wither

Is honestly confused by life.
Because everyone secretly hopes that their parents are also closet furries and they can convince them to buy the entire family a fursuit and go to cons as a happy family.

Osrik

More-so then general perceptions about furries, I think in some cases it might be the direct hostility encountered in certain communities or among specific people that convinces some people it is something similar to being gay and having to "come out" about it.

Within certain other fandoms, there is at times extreme hatred of furries for very little reason, usually some overenthusiastic fur making art combining the two fandoms and showing it off to them. In my personal experience, the Warhammer 40k community holds a great hostility to furries, and the mere mention of furries brings out quite a bit of hostility.

Some of my personal friends are also rabidly anti-furry, with one having started a witch hunt for furries on our campus (which was humorous to me, as he treated me as a close confidant in this, while I did not get involved), and would tell anyone who didn't know what a furry was that they were people who had sex in animal suits and with animals.

Being part of such a community or knowing such people I think could certainly give someone a greater feeling that they need to "come out" about being a furry, possibly because such persecution often takes forms similar to attacks on gays, and thus they equate the two.

Filter

ɹǝʇlᴉℲ
Because there's a sense, unfounded or not, that the public finds "furry" to be objectionable. People like to talk about what they're into, and feel that they're "coming out" by admitting this interest.

The thing that I don't get is why there's such a strong need to *label* one's self as a furry. Do you like animals, animal characters, or costuming? You can be open about liking such things without raising many eyebrows. Few will even care. Call yourself a furry, on the other hand, and you're potentially opening a can of worms. Especially if you start by telling people that it's not about the sex.

RinkuTheRuffian

Punished "Venom" Rinku
More-so then general perceptions about furries, I think in some cases it might be the direct hostility encountered in certain communities or among specific people that convinces some people it is something similar to being gay and having to "come out" about it.

Within certain other fandoms, there is at times extreme hatred of furries for very little reason, usually some overenthusiastic fur making art combining the two fandoms and showing it off to them. In my personal experience, the Warhammer 40k community holds a great hostility to furries, and the mere mention of furries brings out quite a bit of hostility.

Some of my personal friends are also rabidly anti-furry, with one having started a witch hunt for furries on our campus (which was humorous to me, as he treated me as a close confidant in this, while I did not get involved), and would tell anyone who didn't know what a furry was that they were people who had sex in animal suits and with animals.

Being part of such a community or knowing such people I think could certainly give someone a greater feeling that they need to "come out" about being a furry, possibly because such persecution often takes forms similar to attacks on gays, and thus they equate the two.
Except it's not like a sexuality, and treating it as such is completely disrespectful to any gays, lesbians, bisexuals and transgendered people who's family life is at stake when coming out is involved. If it's truly on the same level as a sexuality to anybody, I'd advise they turn off the computer, get laid and think on it again.

SpiritMachine

Butt Sniffer

These 'hate groups' are some of the most hilarious things (to me anyways).

Oh well, Ive never dealt with any offline hate for it, and normally just admit to it nonchalantly whenever the situation arose. I just dont like how many furries who are being "trolled" online cant handle themselves. Like c'mon, chill before mashing keys and youll find tourself having fun stringing along a little troll.

Saiko

GTWT Survivor
From what I can tell, the furry coming out thing happens when someone wants to start being highly active and open about being a furry but still depends heavily on family. I think it's combination of low self-confidence, the fandom being a large, core part of their identity, and a feeling that is prerequisite to truly participating in the fandom.

Take my thoughts here with a grain of salt, though... People aren't at all my forte.

cyclingswitch

Furry Engineer

Exactly this. After being in the military, I can say there are a lot of rabidly anti-furry people. In fact, some consider furries in the military as the next "big thing" that will "ruin our military"...even though we already serve. You can tell people you are polyamorous and have people flog you with whips until you bleed every Saturday and no one will bat an eye but tell them you are a furry (especially if you own a fursuit) and it's like saying you molest animals. Actually a lot of people assume we do molest animals... Not sure why it is so hard to grasp that we like anthropomorphic animals, not real ones, but some people fail to see it.

Anyway, long story short. Different communities react differently. I keep it out of my workplace but all my close friends and family know. I didn't "come out" with it though. I just had a fursuit and people noticed.

Somnium

The Sparklewolf
Banned
Mom, dad I want to cosplay, can you buy me a costume? I don't see why would anyone be mad for this.

TheMintyBun

The most squishy of the buns.
People just assumed I was, or asked me and I said yes.

My mom asked me if it was a group for gay men, I laughed my ass off.

Thats about it for any kind of "coming out as furry" issue i've dealt with.