• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Main Site why isnt there a way to remove comments completely

Rayd

philosophy & psychology nerd
why does there have to be an ugly "page owner hid this comment" thing left behind that you can't remove. its annoying and it infuriates me.

i'm just curious what's the point, utility or appeal to doing that as opposed to just removing it completely, or at least having the option to remove the "this was hidden" message as well.

KD142000

Leather-clad Lobo
Good point, actually...I'm not sure.

Does seem really pointless considering you can't read what they said anyway. There must be a reason somewhere, though. Otherwise it'd just remove the whole thing and leave nothing, like when someone deletes their post on here.

quoting_mungo

I think it was originally to safeguard against hidden comments breaking comment threads or something like that. In some contexts it could be useful to keep some kind of placeholder, especially if the placeholder comments retain their page anchors (which IIRC they don’t currently, at least not reliably), but it’d be nice if the placeholders had less of a footprint, especially when there’s a large number of them on a page.

Rassah

Just a heads up, even "deleted" threads and supposedly completely nuked areaa of the forums, like the old now-gone politics section are all still there somewhere. People have been getting warnings for posts from those threads from a while ago. Don't post things assuming they'll just go away if the thread gets nuked.

luffy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Just a heads up, even "deleted" threads and supposedly completely nuked areaa of the forums, like the old now-gone politics section are all still there somewhere. People have been getting warnings for posts from those threads from a while ago. Don't post things assuming they'll just go away if the thread gets nuked.
Yes, true. Politics and News forum had over 150 reports left over which I knocked out in the past couple of days. It's an archived forum. I didn't take action on any subforum rules since they're moot now, but I did enact upon COC/TOS/AUP, so I'm sorry if some of you were blindsided by receiving warnings from it. There are no more, though. All are done, and I'm not gonna dig through lookin' for things.

D

Deleted member 82554

why does there have to be an ugly "page owner hid this comment" thing left behind that you can't remove. its annoying and it infuriates me.

i'm just curious what's the point, utility or appeal to doing that as opposed to just removing it completely, or at least having the option to remove the "this was hidden" message as well.
You're ignoring him too? I thought it was just me.

I say bring back the block function!

Zenkiki

The softest little kitty
Yes, true. Politics and News forum had over 150 reports left over which I knocked out in the past couple of days. It's an archived forum. I didn't take action on any subforum rules since they're moot now, but I did enact upon COC/TOS/AUP, so I'm sorry if some of you were blindsided by receiving warnings from it. There are no more, though. All are done, and I'm not gonna dig through lookin' for things.
A little off topic,but how many reports would you say the political thread had, and if you can't say specific numbers can you say the ratio of reports there compared to other places?

quoting_mungo

It's like this so people can't post heinous shenanigans and then delete it to evade trouble. :p We can see all hidden comments.
To be fair, it could probably be set up (“could” as in “this would be a plausible implementation of such a system,” not saying anything about how compatible it would be with FA’s comment hiding system in general) so that the “comment has been hidden” placeholders don’t show up for users but hidden comments still show up for staff. Though that wouldn’t address the concern of it breaking comment threading one way or the other.

Plus, of course, if mainsite comments were instead 100% deleted rather than hidden, that would force submission owners to keep abusive comments up until their reports could be handled, which would be shitty in its own way.

Not naysaying you, just expanding on that side of the reasoning.

Stratelier

Though that wouldn’t address the concern of it breaking comment threading one way or the other.
Simple answer to that: When a hidden comment has at least one non-hidden reply, show the placeholder for a hidden comment.

Comment threads can still "break" (i.e. a visible reply comment may sound out of context if the contents of the parent comment cannot be also read) but that is the cost you pay for having the system at all.

Dragoneer

Site Developer
Staff member
Site Director

This is something we're working on in the future. It will just take some time to implement it. Basically, we want the logic to work like this: if there is no response to the comment hide the notice completely. If there is a response made to the comment, show the placeholder that the comment was removed.

This is on our list of things to implement.

quoting_mungo

This is something we're working on in the future. It will just take some time to implement it. Basically, we want the logic to work like this: if there is no response to the comment hide the notice completely. If there is a response made to the comment, show the placeholder that the comment was removed.

This is on our list of things to implement.
I’d like to request that comment anchor tags continue to be generated/work with hidden/removed comments, preferably regardless of whether the placeholder is there or not. Extra bonus points if an anchor link to the comment shows the placeholder even if it would otherwise be hidden, though I recognize that would take extra logic to implement.

With how scrolling works on mobile (not a problem on FA’s end, just a reality of how mobile browsers work), anchor links just make life so much easier, and they’re an “err on the side of plenty” thing far as I’m concerned.