• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Why so few primate fursonas?

• Thread starter Deleted member 111470
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 111470

I have been wondering recently - why do people avoid making primate fursonas? Apart from a couple of people with ape characters, I hadn't met anyone who has a monkey fursona until a few days ago.

So, why do you think that is? Is it because they are close to humans? Maybe it's how they are portrayed in media - as annoying pests. Thieving capuchins, filfth flinging chimps, aggressive and stupid baboons, sacred temple macaques that attack people, etc.

But then, in eastern cultures, people have monkey deities and folklore figures - Lord Hanuman from the Hindu texts, Sun Wukong from the Chinese story "A Journey to the West". I wonder if people from these parts of the world are more inclined to have a monkey as their fursona...

Anyway, I'd like hear your thoughts :3

Frank Gulotta

Send us your floppy
I know a bunch
Humans do have a weird relationship to monkey, might be uncanny-valley-related

Guifrog

Wafrog
I was torn between having a monkey or a frog for my fursona. I'm fond of both species. The Donkey Kong games were among my favorites, and I made my debut as a remixer on OverClocked ReMix with a Diddy Kong Racing arrangement. Not to mention how monkeys are a common species here, although I do admit to having been exposed more to their stereotypes.

So eventually I figured I had a much bigger connection to frogs. Which wouldn't stop me from creating a monkey character just because.

1575595607.guifrog_macaco-prego.png

It did surprise me when I put on a monkey avatar once for the lulz here and somebody called it "creepy" tho. ;P Twas basically a flat monkey head with sunglasses

D

Deleted member 111470

I was torn between having a monkey or a frog for my fursona. I'm fond of both species. The Donkey Kong games were among my favorites, and I made my debut as a remixer on OverClocked ReMix with a Diddy Kong Racing arrangement. Not to mention how monkeys are a common species here, although I do admit to having been exposed more to their stereotypes.

So eventually I figured I had a much bigger connection to frogs. Which wouldn't stop me from creating a monkey character just because.

1575595607.guifrog_macaco-prego.png

It did surprise me when I put on a monkey avatar once for the lulz here and somebody called it "creepy" tho. ;P Twas basically a flat monkey head with sunglasses

Is he a capuchin? I like his ear-piece!

And I have also had people comment on my sona that he's a gross monkey. Maybe it is because of how they are portrayed in the media.

Stray Cat Terry

테리 / 特里 / テリー
In my case, the lack of creativity on how to make a primate appealing.

So, when I first saw your avatar(your sona) and later having seen several more pics of your sona, I was surprised and also admired that there's someone who is able to make a primate handsome and attractive.

So I guess... creativity matters!

D

Deleted member 111470

In my case, the lack of creativity on how to make a primate appealing.

So, when I first saw your avatar(your sona) and later having seen several more pics of your sona, I was surprised and also admired that there's someone who is able to make a primate handsome and attractive.

So I guess... creativity matters!

Thank you! I am glad you like him. I based his looks sort of on Wukong from League of Legends, and fan art of him.

Mambi

Fun loving kitty cat
I have been wondering recently - why do people avoid making primate fursonas? Apart from a couple of people with ape characters, I hadn't met anyone who has a monkey fursona until a few days ago.

So, why do you think that is? Is it because they are close to humans? Maybe it's how they are portrayed in media - as annoying pests. Thieving capuchins, filfth flinging chimps, aggressive and stupid baboons, sacred temple macaques that attack people, etc.

But then, in eastern cultures, people have monkey deities and folklore figures - Lord Hanuman from the Hindu texts, Sun Wukong from the Chinese story "A Journey to the West". I wonder if people from these parts of the world are more inclined to have a monkey as their fursona...

Anyway, I'd like hear your thoughts :3

I'd guess the closeness with humans, and also that calling someone a monkey is consider an insult to many for religious or racist reasons. Might turn off a few people from it.

MrSpookyBoots

Closeness to humans is probably a key factor, yeah. People have their own reasons for picking a fursona, and perhaps primates fall to the wayside because people have the liberty of choosing one that isn't a potential "relative" to the human species.

I also don't think it's a matter of disgust for most people, but I can't vouch for everyone. Primates are awesome and I have a special fondness for apes especially. I think the fox is the most commonly utilized animal for fursonas for a reason. From what I have observed, a lot of members of this fandom just really like fluffier animals. A lot of primates outside of lemurs and several other outliers (such as the tarsier) are not fluffy. Bright eyes and bushy tails are a staple within the fandom. I think canine and feline fursonas are more common because of that. Who doesn't want to be something that's fluffy? Better yet--why would people generally choose an animal that could be more closely related to humans when there are almost countless other species to choose from? Someone has to get the short end of the stick somewhere along the line.

Last edited:

Guifrog

Wafrog
Is he a capuchin? I like his ear-piece!

And I have also had people comment on my sona that he's a gross monkey. Maybe it is because of how they are portrayed in the media.
Yep! We call it macaco-prego. Or a tufted capuchin last I checked. The ear thing was inspired by the type of accessory worn by the Xavante tribe, as they take the bones of a jaguar and pierce their ears in a ritual to represent the transition to adult life. Plus I like the aesthetics

D

Deleted member 132067

I wouldn't necessarily say that people avoid creating monkey fursonas. I personally like foxes more so fox it is and that's the boring end of it.
If I were to interpret something into it, I'd say that there's simply not that many primate fursonas around, hence why people are a bit short on ideas. I feel like the more art there is, be it from this fandom, cartoons or comics, the easier it is for people to pait a picture in their heads. And frankly, I've seen comparatively few primates. So that might be the reason.

Kit H. Ruppell

Exterminieren! Exterminieren!
I think it's because of how close they are to humans already, leading to "uncanny valley" situations when they're anthropomorphized.

FooFoo4230

I have no idea what the reason is, but 3.1 Species Popularity - FurScience shows how unpopular primates are compared to other species! I wish more people knew about this. This also explains why the AI-generated art is usually somewhat fox/dog/cat like. Well, I guess that I’ll probably be one of the majority of people who have one of the more popular species.

oappo

So, why do you think that is? Is it because they are close to humans?
Pretty much. I think primates sort of enter uncanny valley as far as a concept goes. Alternatively, it could be how mundane they are compared to other species. You know, since they're in the clade humans belong to

Another thing is primates don't really have any special aspects to them. They are known for their intelligence, but that's not a very appealing trait compared to something that's cool or cute.

Guifrog

Wafrog
Pretty much. I think primates sort of enter uncanny valley as far as a concept goes. Alternatively, it could be how mundane they are compared to other species. You know, since they're in the clade humans belong to

Another thing is primates don't really have any special aspects to them. They are known for their intelligence, but that's not a very appealing trait compared to something that's cool or cute.
Zoboomafoo begs to differ :eek:

zoboomafoo-lemur-dead.jpg

I don't know. Besides the lemurs, I find there's many primates with distinctive traits. Love myself some orangutans with those huuuuge arms. Golden lion tamarins are like sentient flames with their bright orange fur. And I like how most species seem to have so much control over their bodies, like natural acrobats, able to move their limbs to achieve whatever they please

D

Deleted member 111470

Thank you everyone for the input so far. I couldn't respond to each person yesterday, so I'm just going to write a single post.

It does seem that the closeness to humans is the most common reason. About it being perceived as racist, I would have never thought it could be a reason not to make a primate character. This does remind me of that scandal with the H&M shirt/hoodie that said "the coolest monkey in the jungle" or something along those lines.

As for monkeys/apes not being cool and cute and cuddly, well I disagree - they can be very affectionate and adorable. But these statements do shed light on my question, so I appreciate them.

Cheers.

Zer0XP1nK

Hay muy pocas fursonas de primates porque como humanos estamos asociados con primates y la característica de las fursonas es ser un animal no antropomorfo y hacerlo antropomórfico, a monkey is anthropomorphic and that is why there are very few

Tendo64

Cat With A Guitar
Personally, I love primates--especially gorillas (Tarzan is one of my favorite disney movies.) I ultimately chose a cat though because I love cats. They're my favorite animals. But I've always liked your fursona, Rimna, and I'd love to see more monkey characters in the fandom.

Loffi

I'm already a primate and I don't like it

Simo

Professional Watermelon Farmer
I've always liked cartoony monkeys since I was a kid; Curious George, Monkichi Monkey...I have a lunchbox I bought, of the latter, that I need to dig out:

497a3a2d162710662b2f014b8150e422.jpg

...proof that monkeys are cute!