• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Why Sonic?

I was surfing around on FA yesterday and I noticed that almost every other random artists icon I clicked on had at least one sonic related picture.
I HATE the sonic style yet I have to endure so many "fan characters" its painful.
The only sonic game I loved to death was "Sonic Adventures" on the dreamcast. That game was great.

kitsubaka said:
I was surfing around on FA yesterday and I noticed that almost every other random artists icon I clicked on had at least one sonic related picture.
I HATE the sonic style yet I have to endure so many "fan characters" its painful.
The only sonic game I loved to death was "Sonic Adventures" on the dreamcast. That game was great.

That was pretty much the only Sonic game I played, was great fun, as a game. But.. it stops there.

XNexusDragonX said:
kitsubaka said:

That was pretty much the only Sonic game I played, was great fun, as a game. But.. it stops there.
Yea it was an all around great game it had a good plot too. I just cant see taking it more than that. Of course I do encourage people to try and get a personal drawing style that might be why I hate it so much lol.

Arshes Nei

Masticates in Public
kitsubaka said:

Well there are a lot of WB based and Disney Based characters too. I dunno I am not a BIG fan of the Sonic style and I had my fun with it before cuz it was cute, I noticed there are a lot of repetitive styles when it comes to franchised characters.

Silverdragon00

Banned
Banned
I, like a lot of other people here, never liked Sonic, but i have always wondered why it was so damn popular in the furry fandom. pokemon makes sense because the games were good (i still play them) and some characters were neat, and digimon a lot of the characters were very cool (never got into it much besides really liking and admiring the characters) but i don't really see whats so great about sonic.

the characters and most of the games (especially the new ones) kinda sucked. i think (and i doubt im the only one) at least the games need to stop coming out, if not the whole franchise to die. there are better characters out there besides these.

angieness

I think for a lot of people it was their first taste of furry art after Bugs Bunny, I outgrew the Sonic style but I still hold the games dear because I grew up with them

i love sonic this much [------------------]
plus i have the sonic the hedgehog movie right here in this huge pile of movies. the games were ok, but i like the tv series and the archie comix as well. oh and the first spinoff of it with them looking for their lost mother and using musical instruments and stuff. that was great tv back in the day. it ranks right up there with the SUPER MARIO BROTHERS SUPER SHOW. (CAPITOLISED BECAUSE HOW THE GUY WHO PLAYED MARIO PRONOUNCED IT).

Stillman

RE:  Why Sonic?

blackdragoon said:
SUPER MARIO BROTHERS SUPER SHOW. (CAPITOLISED BECAUSE HOW THE GUY WHO PLAYED MARIO PRONOUNCED IT).

Lou Albano is my hero.

Kyrre

RE:   Why Sonic?

Stillman said:
blackdragoon said:
SUPER MARIO BROTHERS SUPER SHOW. (CAPITOLISED BECAUSE HOW THE GUY WHO PLAYED MARIO PRONOUNCED IT).

Lou Albano is my hero.

Amen.

Now, I've always liked Sonic. I grew up on the shows, and the Sega games. He just had that "cool" personality that appealed to me. You could change his apperance completely, as long as he maintains his arrogant attitude and affinity for chili dogs, and I'd still be an avid fan.

For me, it was never about him being a blue hedgehod with noodle arms.

TORA

Banned
Banned
I remember actually getting the Sonic comics. I have like the first 30 or so. Also, any of you had the guts to see the "King Koopa's Kool Kartoons" show after the popular "SUPER MARIO BROTHERS SUPER SHOW!" ?

Ruiner

The original Genisis games owned face.

No story... hold own -> on the D-pad, and jab B or C once in a while.

How that spawned a giant inter-galactic fan-clan is beyond me. Although I can understand the whole "The shitty art style is easy to pick up" gig...

I started on DBZ, great for proportions and learning muscles... Hell, the characters were basically walking biceps.

K47

nullenigma said:
The artists in the fandom draw it better than the official art, that's what I find hilarious.

I picked up a sonic comic once, it was worth every penny in lolz.

LOL I agree in full. That first picture nearly killed me. My boyfriend is big into Sonic comics, has been for years. So when he comes home with the new ones, I always check to see if the art is any better. But these two artists (I don't know their names) are among the worst in my opinion. Yeah, fan art can be so much better.

On a completely unrelated story, I got a hearty lawl out of your avatar ;)

benanderson

Banned
Banned
It's sonic... it's popular, people draw it because it's popular. It's style is easy to draw, Circles and some overcooked chinese noodles. It's sickeningly cute, cute thing get snapped up like hot cross buns. It requires little to no imagination, colour knuckles green and name bill bailey and it's apparently "a totally original character I made up myself".
It's just one of those pop culture things that just drives right thinking people insane.
That's my take on it.
*finishes munching his cookie*

Wakboth said:
One of the unanswered questions I have about furry fandom, is why so many people are fans of Sonic the Hedgehog and other characters from the games?

The games are (or were) fast and fun, but I don't think that alone can explain the popularity of these characters. And I can't really see the art as the reason; it's not bad by a long shot, but (at least in my opinion) also very simplistic.

So, all the Sonic fans, please enlighten me: why are this particular blue hedgehog and his posse so popular?

For 15 years I have been a part of this fandom.

The popularity of these characters are similar to that of the popularity of any furry character: because furs like them. That's all.

RailRide

The Real Wheels of Steel
A sudden wave of Sonic fanart was responsible for the ban on commercial character fanart at Yerf years ago. It's still referred to as the "Sonic Flood". Although the ban had already been implemented when I first ran across the site, I understand that the stuff dominated the daily uploads like a dumping ground.

---PCJ, (who only drew the character twice, more than a decade ago, just to see if he could get it on-model)

Bokracroc

Bokra, come out to pla-ay
kitsubaka said:
I've stolen the Sonic Heroes theme and made a quarter-half orignial movie.
TAKE THAT SONIC!

Mr Cullen

I think it's pretty hillarious that far too many people automatically lump the Sonic Fandom together with the furry fandom :D

Ryuusei

I'll answer why I like Sonic just as soon as someone answers what's the dealio with macros, or inflation, or fursuiting, or scat, or footjobs, or the love of cock.

But, since no one will answer that, I like Sonic simply because I've been playing it since I was 6, had all the Genesis games, watched two of the shows, and collected Archie's Sonic and Knuckles series up until ish 57 when the local convenience store stopped stocking them.

The premise of Sonic is very simple. Run really fast and smash things. Robot things. It's a lot more interesting than sitting around shitting a diaper.

When you complain about Sonic being simplistic you're not looking hard enough. While it is indeed true Sonic characters can be very simple creations, most of the time boring characters come from boring or bad artists. The Sonic community is a community unto itself, so you can't really judge Sonic fans every time Runhurd clones a character.

But, I digress, AXXEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!
sonicfrontgroupfinal.JPG

Edit: DISREGARD THAT, I SUCK COCKS
To describe it more accurately; it's a tingly sensation deep down in the bottom of my ASS that tells me "HAY DIS SHIT IZ PRITTY NIFTY"

So then I'm all like "Fucking SQUEEEEEEE!", and then I draw teh Sonics with teh cawks. And then everybody is all like ^__^

But then I'm all like "O NOEZ {=( EETS SONICS SUN", and I'm all like *scribble scribble*, and then suddenly I behold that I have created teh francharacter.

THEN MOMMY SAYS 2 GO OUTSIDE BCUZ I HAV TEH BADS COMPLEXIONZ =(
corn1b.jpg

Mr Cullen

There are truly some amazing Sonic Fanartists out there, Axer being one of the most popular. But personally, I like his non sonic related work better myself.

LOL WHO IS IT?

WolfeByte

I haven't the vaguest clue why sonic is so popular, but I do like the "it's a simple, dumb style so artist wanna-be's use it for ego strokes" theory....

Guildmaster Van said:

And in other news, I'll have what he's having. ;)

SlyFox

Sonics popularity I think hits home with the fact that many of us grew up with him as one of our favorite people to act like. I know when I was a kid I would run around the house smashing stuff as fast as I could :)

Well now a days the sonic genre sucks but you still gota respect what he was, JUST LIKE STARFOX WHOS NEW GAMES BELONG IN THE TOLIET!