• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Why the hate on bronies?

Baalf

Will accept free hugs and tummy rubs.
I have to be honest, I quite respect the Bob's Burgers episode that talked about Bronies. Rare to see an adult animation tackle a minority with a sense of respect. There are a little weird in the show, but portrayed as mostly harmless except for the antagonist of the episode, which might just be a representation of what everyone thinks of bronie is supposed to be.

I would hate to see a Family Guy episode tackling the subject.

Stray Cat Terry

테리 / 特里 / テリー
Nope, it was about "minorities" hating on each other and that also some bronies are lgbt.

Oh now I see...

Oh my.. but LGBTQ+ have nothing to do with hate on certain communities other than their own sexualities which are considered an issue by 'normal' public. And I don't find them bad or anything.

We shouldn't drag LGBTQ+ into a debate about haters...

Mambi

Fun loving kitty cat
I think the main hate on bronies is because they assume a grown man liking MLP for some odd reason. Hey, as an individual who supports whichever path you care to take, I don't mind if you are a brony, just......don't get cringy.

But what if it's NOT an "odd reason"? I can easily defend my reasons for liking the show as I would any other show. Would that make it cringy just because I'm not a little girl? <grin>

Skittles

Queen of FaF. Empress of Fløøf.
Hey. I like the show. It's pretty fun! Wouldn't say I am a brony. But TEAM RARITY YOU FLUFFS!!

Stray Cat Terry

테리 / 特里 / テリー
But what if it's NOT an "odd reason"? I can easily defend my reasons for liking the show as I would any other show. Would that make it cringy just because I'm not a little girl? <grin>

Humanity is easily threatened by those which aren't even a threat. Then people simply gather together and 'defend' their own stuff by offending those who aren't in common with them, even if it means they have to defy the logics of respect. And it's very tragic that their targets are usually another of their kin, humans. Haters come from there, I believe.

And when one side starts a real threat in order not to feel 'threatened', the other side who are actually threatened start to 'defend'. This cycle is usually eternal until one side goes down. And I believe, ten-ninth of the conflicts in humanity is all this.

This is why I hate humanity...

Last edited:

Faexie

Rara for short :)
I think most people don't really care nowadays. The hate ussed to be very strong, at first because the brony fandom was rejecting gender roles by liking a little girls' show, but later on they were disliked because they were EVERYWHERE and too many of them took it too seriously.

Now I think bronies are more or less normalized and seen as just a part of internet culture, and since the fandom calmed down they are far less annoying.

Men differing from gender norms is more normalized than it used to, too, so people are less shocked about it

TrishaCat

The Cat in the FAF
There are people that hate bronies?
I thought all the brony hate died down years ago along with the rest of the fandom.

quoting_mungo

That's the oddest way I've ever heard them being described! I do know some SJW types VERY BRIEFLY tried to impose "pony pronouns" based on their ponysona's "race" and gender. Like pegasister, etc.
That’s... not actually how “pegasister” is actually used by any FiM fans I’ve ever encountered. (And I was pretty active in the Tumblrpon circuit for several years, so my exposure is pretty wide.) The only way I’ve ever seen it used wasn’t at all related to ponysona race, and only related to ponysona gender so far as most people having a sona the same gender they are. It’s literally a matter of female fans not wanting to label themselves with a term that they feel is male gendered. It’s like juggalo/juggalette are both in use for ICP fans.

I personally don’t like either term and just call myself a MLP fan.

S

soro

The incident where bronies sexualized a certain character despite being requested not to by the creators of MLP probably contributed to the hate. They even went out of their way to create more Rule34 out of spite.

Toby_Morpheus

Hello, Proto
Every fandom has its fragheads.
I've seen the old stuff and watched the first episode of the new stuff.
Not my thing.
Don't get mad at me for not wanting to see it or not believing you when you say "It gets so much better after the third season"

I don't care. Not my thing.
I'll continue watching Street Sharks, thanks.

TyraWadman

The Brutally Honest Man-Child
Don't forget the part where kids wouldn't actually get their desired toy because a group of older men bought it out right in front of them. It was hard enough dealing with the scalpers.
Then the rampant sexualization. People not realizing the darker themes of war until someone inserted a MLP into the pic and made it black and white.
Pretty sure someone actually married one of the Twilight Sparkle plushies.

Extremists. Extremists everywhere.

R

Ruki-the-Zorua

Well....n-no....no, not at all! If it's a justified reason as to why people could enjoy the show, hence becoming bronies, or any reason at all that doesn't deal with the...err...'clopping' part, then it's all reasonable!

Mambi

Fun loving kitty cat
Well....n-no....no, not at all! If it's a justified reason as to why people could enjoy the show, hence becoming bronies, or any reason at all that doesn't deal with the...err...'clopping' part, then it's all reasonable!

The reason is because the characters are intelligent and well written, and the things they DO in the show aren't fluff but often emotional journeys with major arcs, real stakes, and a great heart to the show. The world they created (Equestria) is fantastic...a well defined blend of magic and distinct races of creatures all living together in harmony. Usually they are up against serious nature threats like total destruction of their homes, the devastation of trying to save their friends, solving a magical problem, learning to work together, etc...no different than any other great show based around dynamic personality. They have all this emotional range with the comedy top notch...not just fluff jokes but real well thought out humour in all forms (cutsy, ironic, deadpan, it's all there!) On top of that each character shines in their own light...the drawing style allowing each to express themselves easily and leaping off the screen/page.

The drama, adventure, comedy, it's all there in well written scripts, performed by excellent voice actors. The characters interact off each other perfectly and the show builds a world that fills with joy, actual intelligence, real threats and challenges, and characters you can't help but to love...all well drawn with good music to boot. Can you say all the same about Family Guy? Simpsons? X-files? Bones? Friends?

The age and gender the show was made for is irrelevant if the effort and message is universal to everyone, and the threats and problems the characters face are ones that anyone could relate to regardless of age or gender. Therefore, I watched the show the first time with an open mind, I loved it right from the start, and can easily defend why because to me it's just obvious why it's no different than any other show I like. No shame in it at all, and I'm not creeping on anyone nor shoving it in anyone's face ever. I just simply like the show and the books...and sometimes that's all there is to it. <LOL> How's that? NO clopping required to justify, and that's why I like the show. <giggle>

Kurushimii

Depressed Monster
But why is clopping such a horrible thing? So long as it's not posted anywhere where kids will see it, then it's none of our business, right? It's still a pretty dumb reason to hate an entire group of people over something a select few members of the community does in private. That's like me going out and saying that I hate all Trekkies just because two Trekkies argue over how many episodes there are in total.

Kurushimii

Depressed Monster
I dont hate bronies however I know a kid in school who is a bronie but hates furries but arent bronies and furries almost the same thing because what he said makes no sense.
Pretty much. The Mane Six are considered furry characters because they're anthropomorphic ponies, ponies being animals. Spike is a dragon which is a fantastical animal but still an animal nevertheless. He's still anthropomorphic.
I would definitely consider bronies to be a subcategory of furries, just as I would with Mobians.

R

Ruki-the-Zorua

The reason is because the characters are intelligent and well written, and the things they DO in the show aren't fluff but often emotional journeys with major arcs, real stakes, and a great heart to the show. The world they created (Equestria) is fantastic...a well defined blend of magic and distinct races of creatures all living together in harmony. Usually they are up against serious nature threats like total destruction of their homes, the devastation of trying to save their friends, solving a magical problem, learning to work together, etc...no different than any other great show based around dynamic personality. They have all this emotional range with the comedy top notch...not just fluff jokes but real well thought out humour in all forms (cutsy, ironic, deadpan, it's all there!) On top of that each character shines in their own light...the drawing style allowing each to express themselves easily and leaping off the screen/page.

The drama, adventure, comedy, it's all there in well written scripts, performed by excellent voice actors. The characters interact off each other perfectly and the show builds a world that fills with joy, actual intelligence, real threats and challenges, and characters you can't help but to love...all well drawn with good music to boot. Can you say all the same about Family Guy? Simpsons? X-files? Bones? Friends?

The age and gender the show was made for is irrelevant if the effort and message is universal to everyone, and the threats and problems the characters face are ones that anyone could relate to regardless of age or gender. Therefore, I watched the show the first time with an open mind, I loved it right from the start, and can easily defend why because to me it's just obvious why it's no different than any other show I like. No shame in it at all, and I'm not creeping on anyone nor shoving it in anyone's face ever. I just simply like the show and the books...and sometimes that's all there is to it. <LOL> How's that? NO clopping required to justify, and that's why I like the show. <giggle>

Well, you see, as a person who has a sister who has a profound interest in the show, I can see what you are coming from. Now, the overall meaning of the show and how it is done, ex. the life lessons, the moral, the ideals that revolve around it all, etc), can all be a good meaning and teacher to those of the faint of heart. Now, I'm not saying the show is bad of anything, or that the people who enjoy it are 'cringy', I'm merely stating that those who take the appreciation of the fandom to the levels unbeknownst to most tend to trail off into a completely different world. Furthermore, I am alright with the show, not something I would generally watch myself, but it's meanings and teachings are understandable. And for that, the show is commendable. But I merely take into the accordance of the people who take said fandom, twist it in with their own ideals, and overall populate it with the unnecessary items that nobody really asked for. The show itself has good intentions, it's just the select few of people who make it awkward. Take this one....expedition for example, where you could see a common scenario between two people, one a normal person and the other a brony, as they watch the show. I'm not saying all bronies are weird, but the ones who do make it an oddball move with certain quotations like, "Twilight is my wife," or ," Having a crush on one of them taken to body pillow levels," is where it just grows slightly more questionable, ergo, the bronies can sometimes have some.....unpleasant reactions to certain scenes that tend to heighten the level of tension when watching it. There's nothing wrong with the show, and that I must stress, it's merely the select individuals who take it's idealism and spread it with their own twisted adulterated versions of what they have done to the original concept of the show. So, no hate to the show, or the good ones out there, it's just the ones that take it to a concerning level, in that regard. You kinda see it?

R

Ruki-the-Zorua

But why is clopping such a horrible thing? So long as it's not posted anywhere where kids will see it, then it's none of our business, right? It's still a pretty dumb reason to hate an entire group of people over something a select few members of the community does in private. That's like me going out and saying that I hate all Trekkies just because two Trekkies argue over how many episodes there are in total.

Well, you see, clopping is not the thing that I hate. I don't mind those who do it, it's no taboo upon reality or anything. It's just when the publicity of it all makes it a bit unnerving to see. You see, for those who clop, I have nothing against it. If that is what they prefer, then they can go ahead with it. It was their choice to make, and therefore, they should be fine with said affliction. But for those who tend to make it weird, like attempts to make other people enjoy it as well when you have a designated interest set in the range of specifications, then it becomes.....a slight issue. Either that, or I'm just speaking because I seemed to have met all the wrong ones, the ones who took it to another level and thus embraced something far darker than I presumed. Nothing against those who do, I'm just saying those who make it abundantly clear that it is the main thing, or trying to force it upon others, then it gets...odd.

Kurushimii

Depressed Monster
I think the brony hate thing is literally over 5 years old at this point. No one really cares anymore. I personally love the show.
I've seen people in 2020 who still hate bronies over the same stupid reasons. "They're adult men who watch a show meant for little girls". Didn't the creator of MLP:FiM say in a Deviant Art comment that she made the show for everyone, not just little girls?
Also, I don't get how the entire brony community consists of "adult men". Women watch it. Actual kids watch it, you know the very people they're saying the show is aimed towards? But then they'll nitpick that and say "no, young females only! Not adult females or little boys!"
Adult females are still females and little girls watch boy shows all the time so boys should be allowed to watch "girl" shows. I don't care if my future son decide to watch Winx Club, as long as he's not forcing his opinion down other kids' throats, it's fine by me.

The-Courier

Dreamer of Cheese
I've been around the brony community for nearly a decade (actively engaging in populous chatrooms, roleplaying, forums, etc). I can safely say that nearly all of the chatrooms I've been in have devolved into rapid toxicity and a dog-eat-dog mindset within just a few years after its inception.
I dislike bronies not because of what they are, but because of what they've become to be.