• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Why The Hell Are Fursuits So Creepy Lookin'?

SkyboundTerror

Thrashing About
The cuties from Game of Thrones. ^

GoTdragons.jpg

Crunchy_Bat

Incoherent Babble Master
Telephone is well respected because she actually does something: she performs. -That girl puts in work. And she did it in a way that was different enough (at the time) to make a name for herself. I think that's pretty cool.

Agreed, the commitment to her character is what makes her memorable, not her body or suit or dance, its the whole shahbang.

IAN

So for le shit's and giggles I decided to look up fursuits and stuff since I was bored as fuck and sorta curious how a fursuit would look like if I for some god forsaken reason plopped down $3000 for one. Boy oh boy, why the fuck do all look so unsettling and same-y?
It's likely because most mainstream-makers have incorporated "that" expression to all their newer heads. You know the one, you see it in just about every Don't Hug Cacti head,, several Made Fur You heads, and some more recent Fursuiting.com heads (which breaks my heart because they're one of my favs T_T) and occasional smaller/growing fursuit maker who's using the aftermentioned as basis.

It's the expression that when pointed out, it becomes a nuisance to every suit you look at that contains it. It's the one where they look almost like they're smiling but not really, more-so as if they've fallen into a trance and don't know where they are. Like they're just like "durr pretty lights" or something, minus the crosseyes.

There are still many suit makers that don't contain it, and even with the ones that do contain that expression I can forgive if the fursuit performer actually makes up for it. Like I've seen some suits with absolutely terrible construction but still manage to bring life into the character with the performance they put on with them.

Joey

It's likely because most mainstream-makers have incorporated "that" expression to all their newer heads. You know the one, you see it in just about every Don't Hug Cacti head,, several Made Fur You heads, and some more recent Fursuiting.com heads (which breaks my heart because they're one of my favs T_T) and occasional smaller/growing fursuit maker who's using the aftermentioned as basis.

It's the expression that when pointed out, it becomes a nuisance to every suit you look at that contains it. It's the one where they look almost like they're smiling but not really, more-so as if they've fallen into a trance and don't know where they are. Like they're just like "durr pretty lights" or something, minus the crosseyes.

There are still many suit makers that don't contain it, and even with the ones that do contain that expression I can forgive if the fursuit performer actually makes up for it. Like I've seen some suits with absolutely terrible construction but still manage to bring life into the character with the performance they put on with them.

I do admit I like "that" expression. Though mine is probably going to be something else (I did ask for it)...

Teckolf

Drank ALL the Coffee!!!
Weird. I thought that normal reaction would be an irresistible desire to kill her.

If you actually live up to the hype... Although, when the almost universal answer to what suiters you like is Telephone it can get a hair annoying. I really like Telephone but there are quite a few suiters that are just as good imho.

To the OP: I see why you would think they are creepy. It is definitely the lifelessness of the faces, but for some reason I still love them.

TrishaCat

The Cat in the FAF
I figure its because most are in a sort of uncanny valley where they just look weird and out of place. Not quite human, not quite animal, and not made to look cute and cuddly like a stuffed animal.

But I think you're looking at all the wrong suits. There are ze cute ones.
5auOg7s.jpg

Or is this still creepy?

EDIT: Moar-
http://31.media.tumblr.com/4f67f45fab2090b48577e61c766c5f7c/tumblr_mlf9fpGNsu1soy316o1_500.jpg
http://ic.pics.livejournal.com/aoiinu/19339862/750/750_original.jpg
http://adjectivespecies.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/2.png
the japanese do fursuits best

Last edited:

Filter

ɹǝʇlᴉℲ
^ That's adorable.

I like some fursuits better than others. When I discovered the fandom about 15 years ago, none of the designs I saw online appealed to me. Other than being anthropomorphic animals, they didn't resemble the art styles that I was into. If I was going to dress up as a furry, then I wanted to look more like what I had in mind. Fast forward to the present, and I've noticed that there are many more styles and options to choose from. Fursuits have become more of an art in their own right, and builders like Monoyasha and Quarrezel have made the kind of suit I envisioned more accessible. I'm currently working on a semi-realistic fursuit with a resin head and a brightly colorful fur pattern. It may take a while, but it's giving me what I want. And that's what a lot of this is about. Those "creepy" fursuits are what their builders/commissioners like. Although most probably want to be entertaining and likeable, aesthetic tastes vary.

Telephone is well respected because she actually does something: she performs. -That girl puts in work. And she did it in a way that was different enough (at the time) to make a name for herself. I think that's pretty cool.

You mean she doesn't just phone it in?

;D

Last edited:

PastryOfApathy

I figure its because most are in a sort of uncanny valley where they just look weird and out of place. Not quite human, not quite animal, and not made to look cute and cuddly like a stuffed animal.

But I think you're looking at all the wrong suits. There are ze cute ones.

Or is this still creepy?

Okay, that doesn't look like something hell bent on murdering me in my sleep.

Calemeyr

Vere Adeptus
Fursuits are creepy because they are often rushed and furries are stupid. If they took their time, they might look better, though this also requires intelligence and not seeing cons and the fandom as the only point to human life and existence on Earth, which may be hard for some furries.

Dorito looks good (partly because I wanted that suit, I can fit in it because short.). I would have commissioned the suitmaker, but then I learned he charges way too much. $4000 for something with no NFT fur? Ridiculous.
http://www.furaffinity.net/view/4136025/

I'm mostly a "realistic" suit guy, though. Those GoT dragons have recently become my favorite suits in the fandom. So much so that my suit after this sergal will be a dragon, perhaps something from Skyrim.

Last edited:

TrishaCat

The Cat in the FAF
Okay, that doesn't look like something hell bent on murdering me in my sleep.
Then Japanese fursuits are your answer to this problem.

forgive me if I sound like a massive weeb
but that's what that was and all the ones I linked are from there

Last edited:

1000bluntz

mark ass trick
For a time, I thought they were creepy too. I dunno I guess you just get used to it, after chilling with a few at cons you kinda get over it.

Croconaw

#1 Most Requested Croconaw

Calemeyr

Vere Adeptus
They look more like the fatties that ate the cuties from the game of thrones.
Here's a question: how many furries are watching GoT just because it has dragons in it? (And when will Martin start WoW?)

And those suits definitely aren't fatties, considering furries or North Americans in general.

Maugryph

Here's a question: how many furries are watching GoT just because it has dragons in it? (And when will Martin start WoW?)

And those suits definitely aren't fatties, considering furries or North Americans in general.

That is a good question. I am curious about that as well.
I've never read or watched GoT. I tired the card game. Much of it didn't make sense to me due to being unfamiliar with the source material. The only thing that I know about Got (Thanks to my friend who is fanatical about it) is
1. It has 3 dragons in it.
2. George Martian is a sadist who enjoys creating characters you will get attached to and then kills them off.
3. And George will write pages on pages about food and people eating it.

shteev

Lol how do I delete this account
Maybe it's because pictures don't do them justice? Think of it like a mascot, seeing the thing hung up and immobile might be a little creepy but having the person inside moving and acting might make it a little more approachable.

Perhaps you should go to a con and rid of your fear the old fashioned way! Face it!!

Volkodav

Dad****er
Fursuits are required to have a creepy, dead-eyed, smiling face because such an expression hides the true, pained expression of the wearer, who is forced to endure being stuck in a cloth bag surrounded by hotel-food farts.

Brazen

Terrorist Scum
That's why unless you're an incredible faggot you don't go with a cartoony fursuit but try to get a semi-realistic one, those can look pretty decent if made well.