• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Why The Hell Are Fursuits So Creepy Lookin'?

Maugryph

I do not like the fluffy full suits with those big eyes and that creepy derpy expression that is so popular in the fandom nowadays. When I see them all I can think of is those creepy mascots at sports games. When one of those creepy things starts coming towards me in the bleachers, I want to hightail it out of there. I don't mind partials or more realistic costumes, granted some can really go towards the creepy valley end of the spectrum.

SkyboundTerror

Thrashing About
Creepy done right, right?

Clockwork Creature is worth checking out when "creepy" is the intention.

Here's a question: how many furries are watching GoT just because it has dragons in it? (And when will Martin start WoW?)

And those suits definitely aren't fatties, considering furries or North Americans in general.

The dragon costumes are fatties compared to the actual dragons, though I'm sure Croc was making a joke. The GoT dragons are easily my favorite suits as well due to large amounts of bias, though I've never actually seen the show or read the books.

They're just so well-made, and I'm very jealous I don't have one sitting in my closet. The group image doesn't do the costumes justice. A CLOSER LOOK DOES. Imagine how many livers had to be sold.

Maugryph

Creepy done right, right?

Clockwork Creature is worth checking out when "creepy" is the intention.

That is the ultimate Halloween costume.

The dragon costumes are fatties compared to the actual dragons, though I'm sure Croc was making a joke. The GoT dragons are easily my favorite suits as well due to large amounts of bias, though I've never actually seen the show or read the books.

They're just so well-made, and I'm very jealous I don't have one sitting in my closet. The group image doesn't do the costumes justice. A CLOSER LOOK DOES. Imagine how many livers had to be sold.

Wow that is impressive.

lefurr

It kinda depends on the suit. Some are horrid and some are awesome to look at.

Bonobosoph

4 hands good 2 hands bad ;)
I'm not keen on toonies, they look a bit blegh. I like realistic ones.
I wouldn't ever get a suit unless it was crap-your-pants uncanny. I want people's first reaction to start dialling for animal control. xD

Kane01

I've never found them to be creepy. Then again I don't find clowns creepy either (unless you count Pennywise and that clown from that 50s cereal commercial).

Maugryph

The uncanny valley is a bitch, that's why.

Indeed. That's why realistic looking robots creep the hell out of us.

I think letting your own eyes be part of the mask allows for more expression and allows you to see where the heck your going.. however a human's giant cranium is a difficult thing to blend in a costume like that and no doubt can create that uneasy feeling.

This awesome dragon costume is very well made but still has a bit of creepiness to it.
http://th08.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/i/2011/220/b/e/dragon_costume_by_prancingdeer722-d45w0nj.jpg

Calemeyr

Vere Adeptus
Indeed. That's why realistic looking robots creep the hell out of us.

I think letting your own eyes be part of the mask allows for more expression and allows you to see where the heck your going.. however a human's giant cranium is a difficult thing to blend in a costume like that and no doubt can create that uneasy feeling.

This awesome dragon costume is very well made but still has a bit of creepiness to it.
http://th08.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/i/2011/220/b/e/dragon_costume_by_prancingdeer722-d45w0nj.jpg
I think that one is supposed to be creepy. And yes, very awesome.

Renarde

Little Fox
I don't like most fursuits because of the creepy factor, but recently I've been looking at Japanese ones and... I may be swayed yet.

Pantheros

you are me, and i am you
Well, personaly when i go onto the mainsite and browse fursuits by date i find that the majority of them are creepy as hell. Though most people just make it by themselfes with little to no prior experience hence the fact they don't look that great. Not many people are willing to plop down 3000+ dollars for a quality fursuit that would be visually apealing. But... hell... even some expensive ones are creepy so i guess it's all a matter of taste.

UrsusArtist

Hurr durr I'm a Big Black Burr

Kinharia

Drunken Irish Snow Leopard
I always loved Mascots. Thought it was fun. My sister on the other hand is absolutely terrified of them, she still can't understand why there is conventions dedicated to them ^.^

Renarde

Little Fox

jorinda

Well, personaly when i go onto the mainsite and browse fursuits by date i find that the majority of them are creepy as hell. Though most people just make it by themselfes with little to no prior experience hence the fact they don't look that great. Not many people are willing to plop down 3000+ dollars for a quality fursuit that would be visually apealing. But... hell... even some expensive ones are creepy so i guess it's all a matter of taste.
When I go to the mainsite and browse art by date I find the majority of it is ugly as hell. Though most people just make it by themselfes with little to no prior experience hence the fact it doesn't look that great. Not many people are willing to plop down 100+ dollars for quality art that would be visually apealing. But... hell... even some expensive art is ugly so I guess it's all a matter of taste.

:p

Flavur

I figure its because most are in a sort of uncanny valley where they just look weird and out of place. Not quite human, not quite animal, and not made to look cute and cuddly like a stuffed animal.

But I think you're looking at all the wrong suits. There are ze cute ones.
5auOg7s.jpg

Or is this still creepy?

EDIT: Moar-
http://31.media.tumblr.com/4f67f45fab2090b48577e61c766c5f7c/tumblr_mlf9fpGNsu1soy316o1_500.jpg
http://ic.pics.livejournal.com/aoiinu/19339862/750/750_original.jpg
http://adjectivespecies.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/2.png
the japanese do fursuits best

Holy shit this is too adorable.
Now I have to google Japanese fur suits..