• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Why wear a collar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bir

Dream a little dream of me..
The only collar I ever cared to wear was a gift from Skahlly. It was a three inch wide black belt before it's time, and was studded with metal rings. She hand sewed bells to every one of the rings, and I had a lovely jingly collar. I wore it to gym.

I don't wear collars now, because I mostly wear bells in some fashion. Either attached to something I'm wearing, or in my jewelry... I just like bells.

However, I do have some really really awesome collars I /could/ use if I wanted to. One is a green leather collar, studded with one jewel. Another is a rusty red leather collar lined with bullet shells, similar to the one shown:

il_170x135.226163087.jpg

And I like to order dog tags all the time. Mostly just to add to random things of mine, but they are pretty sweet and would make pretty cool additions to any sort of collar. They're from FetchaPassion on Etsy and come in about a bajillion designs.

il_570xN.232043364.jpg

stratkat

Daydream Anatomy
I'll wear studded collars that just snap/button, those ones you get at spencers for 10 bucks. I have one with tiny pink studs, and one with black/red studs.

I think they look good, and I find them attractive on other people. Half the time I just get w/e girl I'm with to wear 'em.

S

Sar

Another is a rusty red leather collar lined with bullet shells, similar to the one shown:

il_170x135.226163087.jpg

Im starting to see more items of clothing like this. Its a good change from the tradional 'studded' collars.
(Also, the picture looks like a top-hat.)

I had a look through the etsy page. The designs are indeed interesting.
I would get something like this for the winter:
il_fullxfull.228150553.jpg

israfur

YES PLEASE
Oh God Bir your shop is wonderful, I just got a collar really recently and I've been looking for the perfect taggy to go on it. D:
When I get a job ima pay for one of those.

meowtacles

i just think it's cute. mine's purple with fake diamonds, and a heart tag from petsmart with my name on it. i don't wear it much anymore, but sometimes i do.

Conker

Destroyer of Nazi Teddy Bears
Either wear one at a convention or a BDSM event. Or be prepared to get looked at strangely.
Depends on where you wear them. I wore mine a few times at college, and most people didn't seem to notice. I got a few looks, but not the exaggerated amount I expected or most people mention. Granted, there were some pretty odd moments over them, but nothing too bad.

I don't think most people really care in the long run, if they even notice at all.

Uro

Bringing reality here since 08
Depends on where you wear them. I wore mine a few times at college, and most people didn't seem to notice. I got a few looks, but not the exaggerated amount I expected or most people mention. Granted, there were some pretty odd moments over them, but nothing too bad.

I don't think most people really care in the long run, if they even notice at all.

Well in an adult community such as college you aren't likely to run into overt actions such as blatant name calling and etc as you would in a setting such as high school.

With that being said though I'm sure there was plenty of covert hostility such as gossiping "did you see what that person was wearing? wtf?". I know I've ran into quite a few tweets and facebook status updates along the lines of "some weird kid on campus is wearing a tail and footpaw slippers" (true story, and I knew who it was). Followed by a chain of at least 30 comments of people ridiculing the person.

So while you may think no one thinks it's odd or talks about it, there is a slew of mediums in which you're probably being talked about (that is if it's obviously noticeable).

Conker

Well in an adult community such as college you aren't likely to run into overt actions such as blatant name calling and etc as you would in a setting such as high school.

With that being said though I'm sure there was plenty of covert hostility such as gossiping "did you see what that person was wearing? wtf?". I know I've ran into quite a few tweets and facebook status updates along the lines of "some weird kid on campus is wearing a tail and footpaw slippers" (true story, and I knew who it was). Followed by a chain of at least 30 comments of people ridiculing the person.

So while you may think no one thinks it's odd or talks about it, there is a slew of mediums in which you're probably being talked about (that is if it's obviously noticeable).
I suppose that's true :V There are reasons why I stopped wearing my collars so :p

I would wear one but my parents would strongly disagree with it :(
Do you know for sure that they would disagree with you wearing one...?

Show them pictures of people wearing collars quietly, say that you think it's cool and you want to try it or something. be suddle and slow with this. That's how I got my cell phone, showed them the benifits slowly. They end up remembering it and getting what I wanted.

Plan it well, either that or they know about goth and bdsm, unlikely that they know about the furry fandom.

.. I would let my kids get one if they wanted.
When I was in high school I knew this guy who wanted one, so I got him a black collar for Christmas.
My forth grade teacher got me one for Christmas too (when I was 10.) It was black with Rainbow borders<3
You're so cool. And lol, your 4th grade TEACHER GOT YOU ONE??? How the hell did that even happen? Your teacher is either weird or something. were you a furry back then...?

I used to wear a collar, simply to show I was part of the furry fandom. My parents thought it was a bit odd, but didn't mind, but then my dad pointed out: "You're a wolf, wolves don't wear collars out in the wild." Aaaand, I haven't worn a collar since :p
your a trained wolf...

...right...?

...and your in the wild? Cool.

People in high school have too much free time, like me.

When it's like university or college, they really don't care because they are too busy with more important things than making a big deal about it.

buni

Novelist
Enh. I wear a powder-blue leather collar and cuffs as part of my day-to-day attire, and have for about two years, I think. Before that, I had a metal chain I wore for... oh, jeez, probably close to eight years or so. They started out as a replacement for a wedding ring. Both of my mate have matching sets (in fuschia and dark blue).

Happy that I dont use Facebook. HeH I hate when I see someone or something being ridiculed in such a way. Always make the person look bad to everyone even though one never meet the person which creates perception and prejudice.

Enh. I wear a powder-blue leather collar and cuffs as part of my day-to-day attire, and have for about two years, I think. Before that, I had a metal chain I wore for... oh, jeez, probably close to eight years or so. They started out as a replacement for a wedding ring. Both of my mate have matching sets (in fuschia and dark blue).
Wants to see pics

Xeno

I would probably wear a collar if I wouldn't get weird stares from the people at my school and just because I like the feeling of something around my neck.

Ozriel

Inglorious Bastard
Arctic, I am going to have to ask you to use the multiquote button when making posts, or merge other posts you have into one.

It also depends on what you wear it with too.
I have a collar that has spikes and a silver Gaelic dragon charm in the middle, and I tend to wear it appropriate clothing that makes the collar blend in. When I wore it, people's eyes were more drawn to the charm and they asked questions of "Where did I get it" or "Did I make it". I stopped wearing mine after while and lost interest in wearing collars.

Those that wear the nylon collars with generic clothing are the ones that get gawked at because of how it looks.

Arctic, I am going to have to ask you to use the multiquote button when making posts, or merge other posts you have into one.

I have a collar that has spikes and a silver Gaelic dragon charm in the middle, and I tend to wear it appropriate clothing that makes the collar blend in. When I wore it, people's eyes were more drawn to the charm and they asked questions of "Where did I get it" or "Did I make it". I stopped wearing mine after while and lost interest in wearing collars.

Those that wear the nylon collars with generic clothing are the ones that get gawked at because of how it looks.
Okay, I though that it would auto merge Sith the previous posts...

Looks like it didn't...

Anyways, the only collar to wear around is a leather collar because nylon looks bad on one's neck. It might be difficult to clean than nylon but it just looks and feels better to walk around with. And I think it lasts longer...?

either way, I would go for a leather collar.

Conker

True. Granted, I don't have any punk or goth or any clothing like that, but I did try and color coordinate so the damn thing didn't stick out like a sore thumb :p

SquiRoFL

I tried on a really nice collar at Anthrocon, so i can see why people would like wearing them. It's just a personal choice I guess. Freedom of expresion.

The point is to wear stuff that is monochromatic or simular colours. A bright green collar would fit with white pants and some bright shirt such as light green or yello or orange. A black collar wouldn't be so noticible with dark clothing such as black shoes, jeans, shirt, ahir, hat. Basically everything goth. You can do a lot to not make the collar so noticible. Or you can hide it but whats the point of wearing it if your not going to show it. Either way if you want to hide it, hide it under a turtle neck sweater in the winter or even under a scarf.

either way, if you try to make it less noticible, good luck with that. People are still going to see that nice collar you have on when they look up into your eyes, saying "wow, someone is wearing a dawg collar!"

You really have nothing to worry about, you will get used to it and hell, if you wear it to school or whatever, you might just start a trend. Wearing collars, now that would be cool, but difficult to achive.

Status
Not open for further replies.