• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Will I be picked on for being a fur?

imaclooser

Pootis Eater
Hey I was just wondering if people find out that I'm a fur, if I will be picked on or bullied. Have any of you guys been picked on for being a fur?

Butters Shikkon

Patron Saint of Queers
I've never been, no. Like my friends and I joke about it sometimes...nothing malicious though.

Mentova

I live, I die, I live again
Depends on how obnoxious you are about it. If you're a total annoying shithead about it then yes you will be mocked, but that applies to anything.

Most of my friends know but since I'm a pretty normal guy nobody gives a shit except for ragging on me about it now and then.

IT'S A STICKY. IT'S JUST SITTING RIGHT THERE AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE. HOW ARE PEOPLE MISSING THIS?

Here, I'll help you out. You're clearly incapable of lurking and might hurt yourself along the way.

Hold tight...

Strap your special helmet on...

Yes, the one with the Spongebob stickers on it.

Ready?

CLICK THIS LINK

C

Cid_Nielcen

I was in a gaming guild for homos, and one day in guild chat, things got kinda raunchy. Someone said, "It could be worse, we could be talking about fisting and furries." I was like, "whoa whoa whoa, those two things don't even belong in the same sentence." There was some fall out from that, with me trying to explain what being furry means.

It's sad that a large group of homosexuals wouldn't even listen. They consider being furry to be just a sick fetish. You'd think they would've learned something, considering that gays themselves have been thought of as being just a sick fetish by so many close-minded people.

From the impression I got, yes you will be picked on for being a furry. Not only that, but you will be picked on BY furries. There are assholes everywhere, you cannot get away from them. People are always trying to draw a line and say, "People past this line are too different from me and I wont like them no matter what." The exeption I guess is if you pretty much keep it to yourself and close friends and family. If anyone else finds out about it, your best bet is to say its nothing important, just some stupid cartoonist hobby.

Umbra.Exe

Revolver Snocelot
It's hard to say, really, considering I don't know you or the people you interact with. Some people are real jerks about it, or so I've heard. Some people are absolutely okay with furries. Some just don't care. In my experience, I've never been picked on, but most people don't know I'm a a furry anyways, so there's that. I'll only bring it up if it's relevant.... And it's rarely ever relevant.

Like Hewge and Mentova said... Just don't be obnoxious or "weird" about it, it's really just a hobby or interest. I recommend you not treat it as anything more than just that.

Kashou

The Lone Wolf~
I don't see the big deal about being a furry to even be picked on about it, I mean, all it is is a classification of a group that enjoys your anthropomorphic styles of drawings and cartoons and junk. What's the big deal. Half the world enjoys things like that but won't ever admit to being a furry due to its well-known rep of, basically, yiff. But I seriously see no problems with it. Not even like you have to tell anyone as the other thread suggests. It's no big deal. If you want a personal response, I did, in fact, tell everyone, aside from my family because they don't know what it is anyway, that I was a furry just to see how they'd react. They just laughed and some others said it's about time I said it. My personality apparently fitted that of a furry but I never knew it myself. Denied it for a while because all I knew about was the sexual mess that is so publicly displayed all willy-nilly. Once I looked into what a furry actually was, I was more than happy to call myself one. The way I see it, if you're afraid to be something openly, you shouldn't pursue it at all.

O

Outcast

Hey I was just wondering if people find out that I'm a fur, if I will be picked on or bullied. Have any of you guys been picked on for being a fur?

Shh, don't tell anyone; it'll be our dirty, little secret...

Seriously though, I have never been ridiculed for being a "furry". Unless you take it to "THE NEXT LEVEL", you shouldn't have to worry.

Anyways, how would anyone legitimately find out?

Here's a handy tip from the pros: Don't wear your Furfag t-shirt.

Aetius

It's Me Gordon, Barney from Black Mesa
Yes, you will be fursecuted for decades.

Armaetus

Nazis, Communists and Antifa don't belong on FA
Just keep it to yourself / Listen to Mentova and don't furfag it up by telling EVERYONE. It's a damn hobby, not everyone needs to know.

I know I this is a long shot, but is that eversleep?

Last edited:

Calemeyr

Vere Adeptus
If you treat it like a lifestyle that replaces all others in your life (talking about furry "pride" all the time and wearing a tail to school, being a drama queen, and posting everywhere online how everyone is a troll and how only the love of the furry fandom understands and accepts you) then yes, you will be bullied.
If you treat it like what it is, a hobby, and tell people (if they find out) something around the lines of: "yeah, so, what's your problem?" I think you won't be treated as bad. In fact, I think people won't care at all, because, well, it's a nerdy hobby, and "nerd" is in right now. Though otakus may try to "bully" you...though they're lifestylers of another fandom who tease furries to make themselves look better. Ignore or laugh at them. Your choice.

You don't have to go around telling everyone like its the only thing that defines you either. Because if it is, then, again, you will be teased. Or at least ignored by everyone. But if someone finds out, just act normal. Normal people are cool (at least that's how it was when I was in school).
As for me, no I've never been picked on as a furry, because I've never told anyone. Parents found out and my dad said "no no stop it it's all too silly" (personally I think "weirdness" or "childishness" based on age is entirely subjective), my mother cares less about the suiting and more about creepy people at cons (she thinks there's perverted old men there...when it's just stinky nerds). Other than that, no-one knows. And I'm not going to go parading down mainstreet telling everyone that I am.

Last edited:
My friends barely know what it is, and they only gain knowledge when I explain an aspect to them. As far as I can tell, Furry is a concept/society that most people know next to nothing about, or can make very few assumptions about; so it's fairly safe to be one, because most dunno wtf it is.

Mikhal18

Best. Custom User Title. Ever.
Like everyone said + the sticky thread, you don't have to "come out" as a furry, since being a furry isn't a sexual choice. It's a hobby. (and a nice one).
This applies to probably every hobby, every activity you might remember.

Just like playing soccer or badminton. You'll only be bullyied if you take that seriously, have no sense of humor about it or just can't take any kind of jokes that people may throw at you...

badlands

drunken pirate
there is a difference between getting bullied and having the piss taken out of you. if my friends where to find out that i am a furry they would take the piss mercilessly, you have to accept things like that. back to the OP, yes you would get bullied for it. bullies will pick up on ANYTHING that makes a person different and use that against them.

benignBiotic

Banned
Banned
Depends on how obnoxious you are about it. If you're a total annoying shithead about it then yes you will be mocked, but that applies to anything.
Forever this.

OP if you don't make a big deal out of you being a furry then people won't have a reason to mock you for it. Unless the person knows about and hates furries, then I'm not sure there's anything you could do about it. But most people are ignorant of or ambivalent toward furries.

Basically: Be cool about it.

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
Forever this.

OP if you don't make a big deal out of you being a furry then people won't have a reason to mock you for it. Unless the person knows about and hates furries, then I'm not sure there's anything you could do about it. But most people are ignorant of or ambivalent toward furries.

Basically: Be cool about it.

My brother and our mutual friend both know about furries and think they're gross.
His friend managed to ask the question 'so you like drawing animal people then?' in the most incriminating way I've ever heard it, as if he was asking whether I like to role around in poo.

Apart from situations like this nobody knows or cares about furries, just like steampunk or animé.

Riho

Your brain cells are mine
Well, I do have a book full of failed drawing "experiments."
I once dropped it, and it opened. My friend laughed at me for days, but I found out that it was because the drawings were really shitty.
So be cool, bro, and don't carry your drawing book with you.

N

nonconformist

My friends are all well aware that I'm crazy, so it wasn't much of a big surprise. I think the less of a big deal you make it, the less of a big deal others will. You're part of a fandom, so what?

S

Sar

You will most likely not be picked on for being a furry because a lot of people do not know what a furry is.
However, everyone knows obnoxious stupidity. So you are probably gonna be picked on for that instead.

Dreaming

Just like anything else that's unusual, you'll get the shit beaten out of you if you make a big deal out of it a.k.a. Make it yo lief. You know, stuff like wearing tails and ears to school are a big no, doodling little anthro animals all over the places... not so bad

Batty Krueger

DJ Nailbunny
Shh, don't tell anyone; it'll be our dirty, little secret...

Seriously though, I have never been ridiculed for being a "furry". Unless you take it to "THE NEXT LEVEL", you shouldn't have to worry.

Anyways, how would anyone legitimately find out?

Here's a handy tip from the pros: Don't wear your Furfag t-shirt.
Hey now, I wear my furfag tshirt everywhere. It just makes the day that much more fucking interesting.

T

TheMetalVelocity

Jesus christ, the threads that people post lmfao. I love it how people answer them too.