• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Will I be picked on for being a fur?

Ames

it smells like dust and moon light
Yes, you will. Your friends, family, acquaintances, and random people on the street will despise you with the fury of a million suns for being such a perverse fuck. You are the cancer of society. Have fun.

C

Cid_Nielcen

If you behave like you have something to hide, or like you have something to be ashamed of, people will sniff that out and react to it.

I find it interesting that anyone with half a brain knows that everyone has something to hide, something to be ashamed of, and it's not necessarily a bad thing, it's just how people are. Like you said, the trick is don't behave like it.

Ok Mr. Politicallycorrect.

Since I am confident about talking about furry-related things, I would tell them outright if they ask. If they were "true friends", they would still be friends with you, even if what you do is weird to them.

I feel like every time I post something, I'm setting myself up for some ass to make a facetious comment which will, undoubtedly, be supported by a mob of trolls. I'm still not afraid to post, because people who react badly to what I have to say (just like people who would hate me for being furry) are people I'm not interested in being friends with anyway. People who respond to my posts in a mature manner, whether they agree with me or not, are people I could potentially be good friends with. It is a dangerous path to walk, and I would be hesitant to recommend it to anyone else. There is such a thing as being too open and honest. Sometimes it's better to keep your secrets secret. If the path is walked incorrectly, you could find yourself being alone.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ozriel

Inglorious Bastard
Spoiler alert: Some kids are cruel.

If kids won't pick on you for being a furry, then they'll pick on you for looking/being a dork, creeper, whiter than copy paper, etc.

Troj

Your Friendly Neighborhood Dino Therapist
Right, Oz. Bullies gonna bully.

Since most furries are geeks anyway, even if they don't know you're a furry, they may still give you trouble for being a geek.

When I was a kid, I was teased for being geeky, socially awkward, gay-seeming, smelly and sweaty as a pre-adolescent (I'll give 'em that one), and physically disabled.

The fat kids were trolled because they were fat. One of my best friends back then was teased for being nerdy and playing the viola. The kid who knew all of the countries and capitals received both admiration and ribbing, weirdly enough. The angry, vaguely suicidal kid was mocked for being grouchy, depressed, and not much fun.

The only time people stopped teasing and gossiping about me was the week Columbine happened. Then, all of my classmates avoided me like the plague. It was like a nifty little holiday ;).

Mikhal18

Best. Custom User Title. Ever.
^dahel?
So people thought you'd get tired and shoot them all as well? That was a strange way to get a "break" from bullying. I wish I had one day of those <_<
My school time, hell started in the exact moment I knew I had to get up and get ready for school... It's almost 8 years that I surpassed that weird feeling though...

Troj

I think so, Mikhal. The first things that came out about the shooters was that they were a) weird, b) bullied, c) wore odd clothes, and d) listened to freaky music.

I was weird; I was awkward; I socialized mostly with one friend; I wore ugly, ratty, baggy shirts and jeans in an attempt to hide; and I listened to the Beatles, NiN, and Manson.

I'm not sure if they had the insight and self-honesty to admit they'd been bullying me--who knows--but the fact that the shooters were strange outsiders with freaky taste in music definitely rang a bell ;).

But, after my brief holiday, they resumed their regularly scheduled gossiping and mockery. Because school shooters are like werewolves, or something, and only kill people during a certain time of the month, I suppose.

Mikhal18

Best. Custom User Title. Ever.
Meh that sucks. Fortunately I believe there were no school shootings (at least that I recall) here in my country. But bullying... meh, that is something that exists everywhere... unfortunately. I believe you eventually got used to those nasty days huh? (pretty much like everyone who's bullyied gets used to...). I know I did, regrettably.

Troj

It's certainly not a nice thing to get "used to," because it can colour your whole perception of yourself, others, relationships, and ethics, and not often for the better.

When I emerged from middle school, I was paranoid, depressive, jumpy, defensive, and aggressive, and I had a very difficult time trusting others. Even today, I have strong visceral reactions to people, places, objects, and other triggers which remind me of that period of my life.

I think what made it more difficult for me was that the bullying was executed in a mostly underhanded, sneaky way, which made it harder to pin down--lots of rumors, side comments, giggling, double entendres, veiled insults, snarky pseudo-niceness, thefts of my medical supplies, etc., and I didn't always know who was involved, and to what degree.

At some level, I would've preferred if people had been more overt and direct, because then that war would've been easier to fight, in theory.

I was excessively afraid of calling out people who weren't involved, and excessively afraid of causing the rumors or the teasing to escalate by doing "the wrong thing," so I mostly kept my head down and pretended everything was kosher.

In retrospect, I should've walked up to the main male ringleader, and bopped him in the nose. If anything, it would've been cathartic.

I also should've told my parents or other adults what was going on sooner. At the time, I believed that most adults either a) didn't know what was going on, and would make things worse in their goofy, invasive, "adultish" attempts to 'help,' b) knew what was going on, and had chosen not to intervene, for whatever reason. So, I erroneously believed that I had to shoulder it all myself, and that this was for "the best."

Azure

100% organic vegan hubbas
Right, Oz. Bullies gonna bully.

Since most furries are geeks anyway, even if they don't know you're a furry, they may still give you trouble for being a geek.

When I was a kid, I was teased for being geeky, socially awkward, gay-seeming, smelly and sweaty as a pre-adolescent (I'll give 'em that one), and physically disabled.

The fat kids were trolled because they were fat. One of my best friends back then was teased for being nerdy and playing the viola. The kid who knew all of the countries and capitals received both admiration and ribbing, weirdly enough. The angry, vaguely suicidal kid was mocked for being grouchy, depressed, and not much fun.

The only time people stopped teasing and gossiping about me was the week Columbine happened. Then, all of my classmates avoided me like the plague. It was like a nifty little holiday ;).
i remember when columbine happened, it was my junior year in hs, and boy did people steer clear of me, but that was more reputation than any fear of me shooting up the school. they put in a metal detector a few days later, and it stopped nothing.

you know its odd i see lots of people talking about being physically bullied, or verbally bullied, but i experienced very little of that. i guess it was because i was physically intimidating, and i had proven myself to be violent when provoked, and invariably more intelligent when verbally bashed. i was more socially cut off really, by a great swath of people, they simply wouldnt have shit to do with me, despite any sort of friendly overture on my part. i was sort of a cast out, despite my participation in many social activities and school sports. i am not convinced it was an altogether bad thing though, it sort of made me who i am today. i met a lot of interesting, thoughtful, intelligent people by being forced away from the majority; and though it led me down a dark path for some time, i credit it for a lot of the strengths i have today. i cringe to think where i would be if i managed to fit in, go with the flow, and live up to expectations. probably happy with some shit job, some crap social circle, and a fat girlfriend who smells like cheetos and fryer grease. then i really would have committed suicide x3. yeah, kids are cruel because they are innocent and know no better, along with being very easily influenced by those they perceive to have social power over the cliques that are inevitable formed in the school system at all levels. mind your p's and q's OP, and what i mean by that is only SHARE with people you think the information will be beneficial too. don't just pick up your furry trumpet and blast it all around the place. tact and subtlety are part of everything in life.

Troj

When life gives you shit, use it to fertilize your garden.

When life gives you grief, loneliness, anger, pain, and confusion, you can use those experiences to become wiser, stronger, shrewder, and kinder, if you so choose--though, it may take time and distance before you're truly able to do that.

If we allow it to, adversity can teach us not to sweat the small stuff, can help us to cultivate empathy for those going through similar stuff, and provides us with opportunities to dig deep within ourselves, and make use of strengths, talents, and a certain courage we might otherwise have never realized we had.

The folks I've known who've met with adversity or struggle later in life have actually suffered more for it, I think. Much like you said, Azure, they're often folks who just went along to get along, until something happened to make them question who they were, what they'd been doing, and the people they'd been trying to impress on a fundamental level.

Symlus

Sophisticated Snake
Simplest answer: No, as long as you don't make it weird. Fact: I was afraid of telling my friends that I was a furry at first, but as time went on, I developed *some* self-confidence. Told them, and they accepted it quickly, telling me that some of them were furs too. Anyways, that's not important.

My thoughts on being made fun of is simple: people making fun of you are idiots, and shouldn't be given any attention. Also, you telling us that you are still afraid of society's opinion of you is slightly disconcerting. Once you realize that society has no affect on your life whatsoever, then you will understand that being made fun of is just a ant on the mountain of life. If anyone ever has a problem with me, tell me how girly a bike I'm riding is, etc., I just laugh at them. They are just looking for some reaction, and if they receive a positive one rather than a negative one, you might make friends rather than making a mob of ants that may look large. To me, no one has ANY power over my emotions (least of all, the society's pop. culture, and the ones who enforce it). So. My mini rant is over.

Troj

^^^^Hell, even I'd be somewhat tempted to poke fun at somebody, in that case ;).

Lev1athan said:
Also, you telling us that you are still afraid of society's opinion of you is slightly disconcerting.

Well, it depends.

It's absolutely understandable that people would want to maintain good ties with those they love, like or respect.

It's certainly understandable that people would want to avoid becoming victims of actual violence.

It also understandable that people would want to remain on good terms with employers, teachers, supervisors, and the like.

So, there are people and institutions in the world that can make our lives more difficult, if they so choose, so it's reasonable to be wary of them.

But, yes, in other cases and contexts, society's opinion isn't worth much, and the ribbing or sneers you might get from irrelevant people (strangers in particular) won't amount to a hill of beans in this crazy world.

Zaraphayx

Banned
Banned
Part of the requirements of being a furry is to get picked on a lot in high school and then convince yourself people were afraid of you when more entertaining targets came along and everyone just ignored you instead.

Fuzzle

Two scoops of Fuzz
You will be picked on for everything. Red hair, glasses, acne, liking soccer, liking theater, liking spongebob, liking my little pony, liking rap, liking Tom Jones, liking furries, being white, black, asian, hispanic...Just everything. You do something that's different and you will get picked on, there is nothing special about Furries but a bigger punch line.

Toshabi

Banned
Banned
Hey I was just wondering if people find out that I'm a fur, if I will be picked on or bullied.

Yes. You will. You'll also be banned from visiting any pounds our pet adoption centers for that matter. Better to be safe than sorry.

Not to mention your uncontrollable need to gain weight, refuse to shower and wear faggy apparel like collars and tails in public won't make things any better. Better jump off a cliff while you still have a chance!

DevDawgTact.

It all boils down to who you say it to. I was once having a cinversation with a friend of mine about different fandoms and such, and I brought up the furry fandom and my involvement and she's all like, "You don't plan on screwing my dog do you?"
... Instant face-palm...
Well, I compared it to an anime fandom and she apologized. I don't know; people can be slighty closed.

Corwin Cross

Unofficial FAF Welcome Person
Yes, OP. You will be mercilessly ridiculed for being a furry. Your life will become a swirling torrent of anguish and misery. Day after day, you will pray for the mockery to end, but to no avail. Until at last, sweet Death will come for you, and cast you into the depths of Hell, because furfaggotry is obviously a sin. Then, all of your bullies will burn your corpse in effigy, stomp on you, and yell...

"Yiff in hell, furfag!"

So prepare your anus.

And if your body is ready enough, take up your furry cross. And walk with us, into our path.

mojisu

Probably, but not for the fact itself - most likely because you thought it was something that you had to confess or keep a secret as opposed to it being something of no relevance to other people such as which sock you put on first.

Bluey

Or you can have it my way of dealing back in highschool, let them hate us as long as they fear us.
-Yo dowg we heard u like animals an'd shizz
*Yea whats wrong with it*
-Us dont like u typo here

Well I used my fist at first event and a wooden stick at second never seen third one.
Entire school called me "mad" after that but that shouldnt be matter cause if someone is gonna be your friend he or she will be your friend, regardless you'r a furry or not.

Damn technology evolved so much since then now pepper sprays fit your pocket.Aka Anti bully repellent.
Ignoring them might be a nonviolent way too.

I thought of leaving fandom several times cause of people but its a part of me so I made peace with it..---**--*-*-* people keep on having your way :3

mojisu

Or you can have it my way of dealing back in highschool, let them hate us as long as they fear us.
-Yo dowg we heard u like animals an'd shizz
*Yea whats wrong with it*
-Us dont like u typo here

Well I used my fist at first event and a wooden stick at second never seen third one.
Entire school called me "mad" after that but that shouldnt be matter cause if someone is gonna be your friend he or she will be your friend, regardless you'r a furry or not.

Damn technology evolved so much since then now pepper sprays fit your pocket.Aka Anti bully repellent.
Ignoring them might be a nonviolent way too.

I thought of leaving fandom several times cause of people but its a part of me so I made peace with it..---**--*-*-* people keep on having your way :3

So basically you beat a guy qith a stick for thinking youre weird for liking animal people. Then
people inexplicably thought you were mad.

You know, irl the more seriously you take this the weirder youll be thought of and thinking that irl exists a 'we' puts you in that category, except you crossed the line thst takes you to zealousy. Theyre not afraid because you're strong or intimidating, they're afraid because they thonk you're an insane, unpredictable loonie that takes shit too far.

Wanna know how society sees it? Its like two guys at a restaurant, one orders salad and the other a burger. Salad man says "You know, that burger can make you fat." and the burger man says "It might but you know, it doesnt really matter." Saladman says "It does too!", Burger man awkwardly tries to change the topic to avoid drama "Well, I don't really care."
Then someone from a different table says "What a weirdo." to his tablemate about the salad man.
Salad man gets up from his chair and starts pointing guns at people screeching "YOU WILL TAKE DIET SERIOUSLY"

Basically, dont beat people with sticks. Being a furry should never EVER come to the point when it is necessary to overpower someone with a blunt weapon.