• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Win 7 installation problem

MrPhox

I'm trying to install win 7 on a Dell com (desktop) that I found on the garbage a few days ago and the few "problems" was the bios was lock with a password (I manage to fix that) and one ram was defective. The com is like 7 or 8 years old (again another old com) but the 1TB HD is ok.

Win 8 was in it normally, but I format the HD and install Linux in it, but its too complicated for her and the installation of the software she use. So I'm trying to install win 7 but its stuck and wont go beyond this sta.sh: Photo 2019-05-26 12-50-23

Tec

Quantum Guitar String Theorist
What can I say,

Try with other installation media, or format the drive if you didn't. Sometimes even trying to install of pendrive on old mobo is impossible. Try making the installer with RUFUS (configured as MBR+BIOS - not UEFI - as it may also cause issues on old computers), it may help.

MrPhox

I install Linux without problems, but I can't format the HD to put windows.

I use a 2 Bay HD dock to check the HD but its not show. The HD is there, but not display, maybe because of Linux on it?

Anyway I need to go to the computer show and get another ram since one was defective.

Also I will get win 7 install on it. Linux was faster to install and not required so much supervision. Also I discover that the tower have wi-fi in it (no antenna card) I was surprise ^^

That com will replace the one my sister's using, its a AMD and not going well.

Not saying it's the case since you said it's fine. But I've had systems lock or go through just loading for ages on that same screen with a bad HDD. Some drives can manage to run Linux even if it's a bad one as long as it isn't completely dead. Best of luck either way.

CaptainCool

Lady of the lake
If it's an OEM machine then downgrading to Windows 7 isn't that easy, secure boot is probably the issue.
Purely for security reasons downgrading to Windows 7 is a bad idea though.
With the Windows Update Assistant that you can download from the Microsoft website you can also still upgrade from 8.1 to 10 for free.

MrPhox

If it's an OEM machine then downgrading to Windows 7 isn't that easy, secure boot is probably the issue.
Purely for security reasons downgrading to Windows 7 is a bad idea though.
With the Windows Update Assistant that you can download from the Microsoft website you can also still upgrade from 8.1 to 10 for free.
I went to a computer store and got win 8 installed on it. Its auto update to win 8.1 and going fine.

MrPhox

I also found a old Dell, it got IDE HD on it. Remind me of a old computer I once have. Its older and useless.

I found in pretty good condition some computer desk and even today I found one. Peoples trow away what they no longer want.

For the computer, they no longer wanted it and trow it away. I know its weird, but its working fine, so its good for my sister and replace a old AMD that she have and was not working well.