• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Windows 7: Even more reasons to love it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runefox

Kitsune of the PC Master Race
Yay, We have quicklaunch on the taskbar once again!

Well, technically, the new Superbar or whatever they're calling it is also a quicklaunch, but honestly, I'd prefer the distinction between running and non, thanks. Though without the Superbar, you can't get that nifty display of all the running windows, AFAICT.

Marticus

Brit-fur
Well, technically, the new Superbar or whatever they're calling it is also a quicklaunch, but honestly, I'd prefer the distinction between running and non, thanks. Though without the Superbar, you can't get that nifty display of all the running windows, AFAICT.

I hate what it does to Messenger, its like theres always that window down there. [To fix that you just run messenger in Vista compatibility mode.]

Aurali

Banned
Banned
LOL we all ignored that mac guy starting wars.

only annoying thing I've found about win seven is the media player and that it maximizes windows that get too close to the top of the screen. but it's faster than vista, and looks a hell of a lot better.. When I find a free legal version, I'll switch.

Verin Asper

The Smart Idiot
I'll stick with my Illegal copy of Win XP, cant even upgrade my comp these days right now anyway

Runefox

Pfft. Pirating Windows XP is the single most-done bit of piracy in the history of computing. Try pirating Ubuntu Linux. Now there's something I'd pay to see!

Unless you're the one cracking the protection, you're not doing anything in particular except depriving Microsoft or (insert company name here) of their meat and potatoes. Which isn't really cool. Even if Microsoft is a software giant and morally reprehensible in most possible ways, the people who work for it are not.

But anyway, yeah, I'll be getting an OEM copy when Win7 is released. If they're still around, I might be able to just pick up a COA of Home Premium from my old job on the cheap. It's sounding good to me so far, and if it's Vista Lite (or "Vista Done Right"), then I'll be glad to have it, since I'm not having any trouble with Vista as it is.

Tyc_00n

Killing Ennui is Boring
Hmm....

It seems interesting that you "geeks" (I'm assuming since we are on the geek section) are talking about/ debating Windows 7. Really, I don't expect anyone who calls himself a geek to not know that any Windows OS is going to be really bad unless from some miracle or Steve Jobs coming to Microsoft (which would be a miracle IMO). Considering 7 is more of a performance hog than Vista is, that should turn you off, if not simply because it's Windows. I could say more, but I'd rather not, considering I could write pages of things wrong with 7. -sigh-

Runefox

Hmm....

It seems interesting that you "geeks" (I'm assuming since we are on the geek section) are talking about/ debating Windows 7. Really, I don't expect anyone who calls himself a geek to not know that any Windows OS is going to be really bad unless from some miracle or Steve Jobs coming to Microsoft (which would be a miracle IMO). Considering 7 is more of a performance hog than Vista is, that should turn you off, if not simply because it's Windows. I could say more, but I'd rather not, considering I could write pages of things wrong with 7. -sigh-

Aww, are you hungwy, widdle twoll?

Eleziek

Master of the Score
I've been rather accustomed to using Windows Blue (research it) for a while now, but I think once 7 rolls around I may indeed upgrade...

After playing around with it I really do enjoy all of the features it offers, and how it isn't as much of a system hog as Vista... I understand people praaaise Macs and Linux, but for some of us it's not about hating those OS's and the like, it's about being able to do as much as we're able to do with Windows.

Runefox

I've been rather accustomed to using Windows Blue (research it)
No hits for Windows Blue. Did you mean Windows Azure, the cloud computing service that will purportedly someday be every Windows PC's "operating system" with a monthly service fee? :p I suppose it's not much different from the used-to-be-bi-yearly upgrade tax.

Last edited:

Carenath

Cynical Dragon
No hits for Windows Blue. Did you mean Windows Azure, the cloud computing service that will purportedly someday be every Windows PC's "operating system" with a monthly service fee? :p I suppose it's not much different from the used-to-be-bi-yearly upgrade tax.
Meh.. if that happens I'll stick with Linux.. Im not paying a subscription to use my own damn computer >.-.>

Carenath

Cynical Dragon
Love... it? Windows?
eek7.gif
What drugs are you on, and where can I get some that powerful?
Seconded. *still finds your username and avatar interesting*

Eleziek

Master of the Score

Ah, really? May not be researchable xD It's a '3rd party' version of windows, pretty much all hacked up and modified... Works insanely well, is fast, and sleek!

Runefox

does this mean to imply that Windows 7 does not go so great with "only" 4GB of RAM

Yeah, it has a routine that detects when you don't have a predetermined amount of RAM and then goes ahead and disables the extra cores and throttles the CPU to 233MHz/66MHz FSB. It also places your video card in framebuffer-only mode.

ToeClaws

PEBKAC exterminator
Oi... the thread is still going. :rolleyes: Okay, let's sum up the facts on Windows 7:

• Better than Vista? Yes
  • Better than XP? Not a fair comparison given XP's senior citizen status
  • Good for Games? Yes
  • Good EULA? No (downright vile, but then, it is Microsoft so should it really surprise anyone?)
  • Price? Expensive (but again, normal for Microsoft software)
  • Interface? Good (improved and less annoying than Vista, but not as simple as Win2K)
  • Performance on older hardware (32 bit version): Good (much, much better than Vista, but not as good as alternate OS's)
  • Support and updates? Once a month, same as current offerings
  • Pro-DRM? Yes
  • Open Source? Hahahahaha... no

Further to that...

Reasons to get it:

• You love PC gaming and want to run the latest games
  • You enjoy specific software not available to other operating systems and/or that don't run under emulators
  • You actually like Windows
  • You're not overly concerned about security
  • "It came with my new system" (IE, the Microsoft Tax)

Reasons to avoid it:

• You don't care about PC games or specific programs as much
  • It costs money
  • It's the least secure of the major OS's.
  • Though smaller than Vista, it's still bloated in size
  • You hate Microsoft
  • You have ethical issues with DRM and corporations controlling too much in the OS
  • You want an OS that is extremely functional and versatile
  • You enjoy tinkering with the OS at an advanced level
All in all, the beta looks to be a vastly needed improvement on Vista. Windows 7 is basically Vista Second Edition, but they didn't call it that since no one would then buy it. It's faster, less annoying, more compact and just a flat out better OS than it's predicessor. I have big time ethical issues with it, but that's just me. It's worth upgrading to if you fall more into the pro list above, otherwise, skip it and change to another OS.

:mrgreen:

Aurali

Banned
Banned
\

these two bug me a bit..

Windows can be even more functional than the other big OSes. but at the same time it can be less. Depending on your needs. (Unless you go 64 bit.. I can't find anymore annoying thing as running a game that won't install because the installer is still 16 bit)

The second one also depends on what "advanced" level is.. but at the same time, it is not really available to be tinkered with inside a code system, you can still do a LOT of modding to Windows; especially if you turn off it's fail-safes. (something I wished my Kubuntu box had more of :p)

Carenath

Cynical Dragon
Oi... the thread is still going. :rolleyes: Okay, let's sum up the facts on Windows 7:

• Good EULA? No (downright vile, but then, it is Microsoft so should it really surprise anyone?)
  • Price? Expensive (but again, normal for Microsoft software)
  • Pro-DRM? Yes

• You don't care about PC games or specific programs as much
  • It costs money
  • It's the least secure of the major OS's.
  • Though smaller than Vista, it's still bloated in size
  • You hate Microsoft
  • You have ethical issues with DRM and corporations controlling too much in the OS
All in all plenty of reasons for me to avoid it... Windows Server 2003 makes a better desktop OS than both XP and Vista, asside from a few annoyances, like Eset refusing to install on a 'server' OS unless I shell out for the Business Edition of the software *rolls eyes*. And yes, college students can get WS 2003 legally for free through DreamSpark.

Once I unlazy myself, setup my FTP server, and image my XP install, I'll switch back to WS2003 on my desktop, only reason I switched was to rule out the OS for what ended up being a hardware fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.