• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Windows cannot find MSIEXEC.exe

Xaerun

"toxic and negative"
Lolwut?

Trying to install certain programs gives me this error (see attachment).
Anyone got a solution?

CaptainCool

Lady of the lake
Last edited:

Xaerun

"toxic and negative"
Vista. Installed that update, didn't work.
Upon digging through system32, MSIEXEC DEFINITELY exists, and is definitely in the correct location.

SnowFox

Since the error message says it doesn't exist it's probably unlikely but....

Type services.msc in the run box and see if Windows Installer is disabled. If it is set it to manual.

EDIT: oh, and I sometimes get messages like that if my firewall blocks a program from starting up. Got anything that could be doing that?

Xaerun

"toxic and negative"
It was set to Manual but not started. Tried it both stopped and started.

If it's significant, the path to exec is
C:\Windows\system32\msiexec /V

What's with the V?

SnowFox

What's with the V?

That must be the problem, it's in :V mode.

You try to install something, windows says

:V

Windows cannot find 'C:\Windows\system32\MSIEXEC.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again.

I don't really know then. It depends on the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service, but I'm pretty sure it's impossible to not have that running.

Sorry.

The only other thing I can think of is check for viruses and stuff.

Enjoy your vista :V

Last edited:

Runefox

Kitsune of the PC Master Race
Does this happen with every MSI-driven installer, or only a few? It could be a case of UAC or even your antivirus taking a dump.

Xaerun

"toxic and negative"
Runefox: I use Avira, but the problems were around before I started using it. And yes, it seems to.

I can run .msi installers though, IIRC. Not sure if that means anything.

Runefox

Kitsune of the PC Master Race
Has anything else unusual been happening recently? Have you tried giving your computer a scan with both Avira and MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware? How long has it been happening?

Anyway, you might want to try this:

->Reboot your computer into Safe Mode (Hold F8 before the Windows 7 logo appears and choose it in the menu).

->Hold the Windows key, then press R. The Run Command dialogue box opens. Release the Windows key.

->Type the following and press enter: msiexec /regserver

->Reboot back into normal mode and try again.

If that doesn't work, you can try your luck with this Microsoft Knowledge Base article - The Run command isn't available by default in Vista, but you can substitute it for holding the Windows key and pressing R, as above.

Last edited:

Irreverent

It was set to Manual but not started. Tried it both stopped and started.

If it's significant, the path to exec is
C:\Windows\system32\msiexec /V

What's with the V?

Verbose...interact with the the user, the other option is (from memory) /S for silent....install without prompting active user.

Did Rune's sugguestion to re-register it fix the problem?