• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Winter Sports and Furry Art (Or .... Shiny Things and Special Snowflakes)

Coyote Club

El Gordito Burrito Bandito
I've been watching the Winter Olympics in Sochi (from the comfort of my living room) for the past few days, and I noticed a few things:

The snowflake headdresses from the opening ceremonies look like something ripped out of the song Springtime for Hitler (NSFW image), dogs are plentiful in Sochi and the skis/ snowboards used in the freestyle events have very bright graphics on their undersides.

The competitors' attitudes are almost always colorful too. :v

What I'm wondering is this:

1) Is it worth it to promote our hobby through sports equipment graphic designs like the big companies do?

2) Is most of the furry art that finds its way onto sports or personal products based on private art commissions?

2a) Would externalizing your hobby through artful graphics on your personal items be worth it to you (personally)?

Assuming I ever decided to seriously go skiing or surfing, it'd be cool to channel my inner "snowflake" and add some furry art to my sports apparel and equipment.

These are furry art designs along the same lines as I was talking about:

1) SFW Skateboard Design

2) NSFW Skateboard Design

3) Dicey At Work Skateboard Design ketch

4) Reddit Post on Kitty Loves Monster bandannas (the company is now closed)

-CC

Harbinger

The Last of Us.
I think its hard to pull off subtle furry imagery on every day things without making it a "look at my obscure interest" kinda thing, but if somehow you get the balance right and its tasteful, not obnoxious to non-furs, and looks great to the owner then sure.

TobyDingo

Pasties, Cider, Surfing.
Furry art is everywhere!
Turn on your TV. Every other advert has some sort of 'Furry' mascot animation.
Take a walk through the supermarket. Every box of cereal has an anthropomorphic animal on the front of it.
Take a look at some modern artwork, for example, something from Juxtapoz magazine. Half the featured artists have artwork that could be considered 'Furry'

Putting furry art on any sort of sports apparel/equipment wouldn't even turn a head.

Last edited:

powderhound

Sup CC. Good thread.

I like your decks man.

Animal stuff's cool and in general everyone loves it. Last year Volkl was running full body dragons on their top sheets and everyone loved'em. I had several friends who don't know WTF a furry is buy'em just for the graphic and constantly talk about their dragons on the slopes. To the point I started to wonder if they might become furries.
image3493.jpg

I rock the KLM bandana on the hill as you said, see my profile pic. Again everyone thinks it's cool and asks where I got it. Problem is they don't breath well enough for sport. The rubber print blocks airflow so you have to punch holes in it other wise it robs your wind when charging.

If KLM made a fleece ski bandana it would have been hugely popular with the non furry ski/boarder crowd. I shit you not they could have sold thousands at an event in a weekend easy.

I've got some furry stickers on my ski's. People ask about'em all the time. I've never had anyone recognize something as connected to 'furry.' You don't have to be a furry, I have found everyone digs furry stuff for the same reasons you do. There just not in as deep you.

Custom ski companies now let you upload your own graphics to your skis! I have given serious thought to commissioning an artist for something sick. I was skiing day before yesterday with a fur that had his own art on his custom skis and it was pretty rad.

You upload the design online and they make the ski with it. Someone did a fricken MLP recently

Pony-Up.jpg

Now I'm not into MLP but that's pretty sick looking!

The custom graphic is free on a custom plank usually. They can do it on top sheet and bases. Ckeck it out:
https://www.codaboards.com/topsheets.php

As bad as I want one I haven't found a custom ski that performs the way I want. You just can't get the same engineering and technology in a boutique ski yet as a big name pro maker. Laminating sheets of titanal (hehe :p) into the layup has made a huge difference for beefy chargers and the equipment for that is well beyond the reach of custom makers. But honestly there are very few people that need that.

However I think the future is being able to order your custom graphic from the pro's.

Last edited:

Coyote Club

Sup CC. Good thread.

I like your decks man.

Animal stuff's cool and in general everyone loves it. Last year Volkl was running full body dragons on their top sheets and everyone loved'em. I had several friends who don't know WTF a furry is buy'em just for the graphic and constantly talk about their dragons on the slopes. To the point I started to wonder if they might become furries.

[Vokl Dragon ski graphic]

I rock the KLM bandana on the hill as you said, see my profile pic. Again everyone thinks it's cool and asks where I got it. Problem is they don't breath well enough for sport. The rubber print blocks airflow so you have to punch holes in it other wise it robs your wind when charging.

If KLM made a fleece ski bandana it would have been hugely popular with the non furry ski/boarder crowd. I shit you not they could have sold thousands at an event in a weekend easy.

I've got some furry stickers on my ski's. People ask about'em all the time. I've never had anyone recognize something as connected to 'furry.' You don't have to be a furry, I have found everyone digs furry stuff for the same reasons you do. There just not in as deep you.

Custom ski companies now let you upload your own graphics to your skis! I have given serious thought to commissioning an artist for something sick. I was skiing day before yesterday with a fur that had his own art on his custom skis and it was pretty rad.

You upload the design online and they make the ski with it. Someone did a fricken MLP recently

[MLP ski graphic]

Now I'm not into MLP but that's pretty sick looking!

The custom graphic is free on a custom plank usually. They can do it on top sheet and bases. Ckeck it out:
https://www.codaboards.com/topsheets.php

As bad as I want one I haven't found a custom ski that performs the way I want. You just can't get the same engineering and technology in a boutique ski yet as a big name pro maker. Laminating sheets of titanal (hehe :p) in to the layup has made a huge difference for beefy chargers and the equipment for that is well beyond the reach of custom makers. But honestly there are very few people that need that.

However I think the future is being able to order your custom graphic from the pro's.

You and Toby have blown my mind. I guess furry stuff is everywhere.

Volkl's dragon graphic is friggin schweet. I immediately thought "Dragon Ball Z", but I guess dragons sorta span a spectrum of fandoms. As for the MLP ski graphics, my Canadian buddies would probably go nuts if they got a pair of those skis. I know I would. ;)

FYI: I didn't make the decks, I just found 'em on the net. If I had that much artistic skill it would be fun to open shop and churn out a few custom items. :cool:

I'm going to go play with the custom graphic template stuff and see what happens. Woot woot!

Thanks for sharing guys,
-CC

Edit: Check this out! Awesomeness!

[video=youtube;rvPIL7LI36s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvPIL7LI36s[/video]

Last edited:

TheRH100

阴茎 :V
Furry art is everywhere!
Turn on your TV. Every other advert has some sort of 'Furry' mascot animation.
Take a walk through the supermarket. Every box of cereal has an anthropomorphic animal on the front of it.
Take a look at some modern artwork, for example, something from Juxtapoz magazine. Half the featured artists have artwork that could be considered 'Furry'

Putting furry art on any sort of sports apparel/equipment wouldn't even turn a head.

They've even managed to make it 'sexy'. http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-NzzTGEJcHec/UuFT3ydallI/AAAAAAAACwc/Pyv1pG_EvZ8/s1600/skinny-cow.gif
I saw this product while shopping at walmart to pick up some ice cream and it turned my head, I was kinda surprised to see that there, but oh well, if businesses want to appeal to furries, then so be it. Okay jokes aside, this logo was PROBABLY a coincidence anyways.
http://www.lovemarks.com/media/image/skinny_cow_html.jpg

Coyote Club

They've even managed to make it 'sexy'. http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-NzzTGEJcHec/UuFT3ydallI/AAAAAAAACwc/Pyv1pG_EvZ8/s1600/skinny-cow.gif
I saw this product while shopping at walmart to pick up some ice cream and it turned my head, I was kinda surprised to see that there, but oh well, if businesses want to appeal to furries, then so be it. Okay jokes aside, this logo was PROBABLY a coincidence anyways.
http://www.lovemarks.com/media/image/skinny_cow_html.jpg

I forgot it, but they sell Skinny Cow at H-E-B (our local grocery store) too. She's ..... quite the looker for what she is.

-CC