• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Wireless Problems

I am using a NETGEAR wireless adapter my power went a little funny a bit ago but now it seems to be working for every other gadget in the house except for mine.

My iPod and my Windows XP will not connect to the internet, although the wireless adapter is fine (as you can tell by my being online)

I'm not the most internet savvy but from what I can tell when I get the error "Limited or no connectivity" and my iPod cannot load pages and mail and other things that use internet, I am not receiving a DNS server.

I went through some common fixes for this. Restarting the modem and computer, using a set of commands that were supposed to refresh all this, checking to make sure my TCP/IP automatically gets an IP address and DNS...nada.

Some more info I guess: Using Qwest, Security is a WEP key 64 bit, it has worked up until this point. :/ Help plz?

The usual fix for this is releasing and renewing the IP address.

So I ran cmd and did ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew

D:\Documents and Settings\Rose>ipconfig /release

Windows IP Configuration

No operation can be performed on Local Area Connection while it has its media di
sconnected.

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::222:3fff:fede:6028%5
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::ffff:ffff:fffd%6
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

D:\Documents and Settings\Rose>ipconfig /renew

Windows IP Configuration

No operation can be performed on Local Area Connection while it has its media di
sconnected.
An error occurred while renewing interface Wireless Network Connection : unable
to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out.

fuck it.

Okay I fixed it I pulled the most retarded thing ever.

When I was looking at the WEP key I mistook B for an 8. Heh.

Anyway, it kind of baffles me that I needed to re-enter the WEP key at all last week and it baffles me that it never gave me an incorrect password error on my iPod until now. Oh well.

Carenath

Cynical Dragon
I'd also suggest you ditch WEP which provides no security at all, in favour of WPA-2. Your iPod Touch will support it, for Windows XP you'll need to be running SP3 and you can then download the update from Microsoft's website.