• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

wolf shootings

Slayn

bang your head.
recently I heard something terrible :shock:

go to - callofftheguns.org and stop the shooting

T

Tycho

I heard about it a little while back.

Maybe there should be an open season on the hunters. I think it would be kinda fun to shoot down the bastards.

Kommodore

well what is it?
Well, if their numbers have been replenished, why not shoot them? To say that they might be endangered in the future, when they currently are not on the list seems silly. Kill them under the legal limit until it becomes obvious they need to be protected again. Besides, if it gets out of hand, they can always bring them back, again.

lobosabio

Dance the Mussolini
They've been delisted (or will be in the very near future). There's nothing to stop people from shooting them. It's sad but true.

SoulEmber

What's especially ironic is that here in MT, where they have been delisted, each wolf cost the state 1 million USD. So for each wolf shot, that's a deficit of 1 million USD that the state is losing.

sgolem

God... This again?

You guys are only making a big deal because they are wolves. People shoot deer all the time, why don't you go protest that too?

Seriously, wolves are bieng delisted because they are thriving. You should be happy they made such a comeback.

SoulEmber

One possible reason might be that there are more than three times as many deer as there are wolves. Not to mention that killing the wolves is damaging my state's economy, which depends quite a bit on tourism. Then there's the issue of taxes being raised to pay off the landowners.

T

Tycho

sgolem said:
You guys are only making a big deal because they are wolves. People shoot deer all the time, why don't you go protest that too?

Before one shoots an animal in the first place, one should ask one's self "Do I have a good reason for doing this?" I can't think of a SINGLE good reason to shoot a wolf. TBH, the only real reason to shoot deer/elk is to get venison, if you have a taste for venison, and personally I think that's actually kind of absurd - go to the fucking supermarket, buy a porterhouse and take it home and enjoy it. Hides/pelts? Why? We have plenty of other materials with which to fashion clothing and such. The wolves pose little to no real threat to ranchers. They're simply "in the way". Not a good enough excuse to shoot them.

Seriously, though, WHAT GOOD REASON DO THEY OR ANYONE ELSE HAVE FOR SHOOTING AN ANIMAL? Mankind has developed these creatures, domesticated creatures like cattle, pigs and chickens, that can supply us with all the meat and hides we need. Shooting any wild animal except out of self defense or to eliminate a dangerous habituated animal, for conservation purposes (keeping animal numbers in balance - of course, the imbalance was probably our fault to begin with), or to put a suffering animal down is quite frankly absurd. Hunting? Sport? Pah. Give the deer/wolf/elk a gun and teach it how to use it, THEN let the human hunters go after them. NOW it's sport. You really want to hunt for sport, pick up a throwing spear and atlatl, or bow and arrow, and learn how to REALLY hunt without the crutch of 10x scopes and gunpowder.

sgolem

I'm not for hunting purely for the sport of it, but if I was a farmer, and wolves were killing my livestock, I'd sure as hell want to be able to do something about it. Say what you want, but the reality is, wolves do cause trouble for ranchers. Granted, there are non-lethal ways to deal with it, but I'm curious how easy it is to be in their situation. I don't want wolves to die, but I wonder what it's like to be in the ranchers' shoes. Keep in mind, while wolves were gone, people adapted to an environment without them. Now that they're back, and it's obviously going to cause problems.

If animals get guns, then it would only be fair for people to have claws, killer teeth, and stronger bodies. Humans are weak, so we have to build tools to compensate for it.

I want to make this clear: I'm against wolf hunting. I just know there are reasons besides sport that people shoot them.
Anyway, here's the same exact discussion on the matter from two months ago. I thought it was more recent, so I apolologise for my blunt response before.

http://forums.furaffinity.net/showthread.php?tid=11163&page=2

T

Tycho

sgolem said:
If animals get guns, then it would only be fair for people to have claws, killer teeth, and stronger bodies. Humans are weak, so we have to build tools to compensate for it.

A gun renders all of those things pointless 95% of the time. Gun trumps all of those for lethality. A gun turns a fat redneck with a bad heart and a beer gut into a definite threat. Give the animal the gun, and somehow make them understand what it's capable of, and you can bet they'd start using the gun instead.

Also: It's one thing to shoot wolves who you see threatening your livestock, it's another to take aerial incursions into their territory, hunt them down, and kill them.

T

Tycho

sgolem said:
You seem to have missed the point, but whatever. I already stated I was against hunting for sport, so I don't know why you're still arguing with me about that.

I thought I had addressed the points you were making, but if I missed one, elucidate me please. IMO the wolves shouldn't have to change to accommodate farmers, rather the opposite.