• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Words that sound funny to you

TyraWadman

The Brutally Honest Man-Child
You mean "GHOTI", that's how you spell "fish" really, that's why it's such a funny word!

Really, I mean it, totally phonetically, G-H-O-T-I spells "fish"

Take the sound of "gh" in the word "enough", and you get the "F" sound.
Take the sound of "o" in the word "women" and you get the "I" sound.
Take the sound of "ti" in the word "nation", and you get the "SH" sound.

Ergo..."ghoti" spelled "fish"! <lol>

Isn't the English language just all rightly messed up? Even the word phonetically isn't spelled phonetically.
Phish is a harmful stereotype to all ghoti!!!

Idk about anyone else but i think the word "Funny" is pretty funny in and of itself, like, it just sounds really dumb and funny, specially if you pronounce it "funnee".

Band1t

Mostly Harmless.
Agreed^
Mt. Nicaragua

O

O.D.D.

You mean "GHOTI", that's how you spell "fish" really, that's why it's such a funny word!

Isn't the English language just all rightly messed up? Even the word phonetically isn't spelled phonetically.
The English language is an absolute trainwreck, but the core reason for this is that English has long had a habit of mugging other languages in dark alleyways for their ever-so-useful words... though those words don't necessarily follow English rules and weird things happen when you make them do so.

Minerva_Minx

Explosion loving skooma cat
Forte. It literally changes meaning based entirely on pronunciation.

Homophone and heterophone. Just so weird.

Last edited:
O

O.D.D.

Are non-English words allowed? Because I would like to mention Russian характер/kharakter (pronounciation). Say it a few times and it totally stops sounding like a real word.

Also I think English "us" is really cute. Just us.
That happens with all words.

There's a name for the specific phenomenon, where you repeat it aloud and after a bit you have trouble recognizing what you just said was a word, it starts sounding like incoherent nonsense.

CaitlinSnowLeopard

In that case, here's a few German words I find funny:

Rindfleischetikettierungsüberwachungsaufgabenübertragungsgesetz. Yes, this is a real word. Yes, it's 63 letters long. It means "law relating to the regulation of beef and delegation of supervision."

Dummkopf. It's an insult, roughly translating as "dumb head". This one got picked up among English speakers as well, but few of them know how hilariously literal the actual translation of it is. (I took German in high school.)

Lioedevon427

Very tired animator

Rindfleischetikettierungsüberwachungsaufgabenübertragungsgesetz. Yes, this is a real word. Yes, it's 63 letters long. It means "law relating to the regulation of beef and delegation of supervision."

Dummkopf. It's an insult, roughly translating as "dumb head". This one got picked up among English speakers as well, but few of them know how hilariously literal the actual translation of it is. (I took German in high school.)
Try saying Rindfleischetikettierungsüberwachungsaufgabenübertragungsgesetz 5 times fast

Pomorek

Antelope-Addicted Hyena
"Blog". Sounds awfully ugly to me, like gagging or spitting out something disgusting.

On the other hand, "jaundice". If I didn't know any better, I'd think it's a rather beautiful female name!

That's not the end, there is also silent "GHOTI". Take the “gh” from “though,” the “o” from “people,” the “t” from “ballet” and the “i” from “business” - and there you go, "GHOTI" with no sound at all!

we doing place names now?
Man, that's too bad. But at least nearby Petting on the German side survives.

Mambi

Fun loving kitty cat
That's not the end, there is also silent "GHOTI". Take the “gh” from “though,” the “o” from “people,” the “t” from “ballet” and the “i” from “business” - and there you go, "GHOTI" with no sound at all!

<the cat drops his catnip bag in shock, his brain exploding as he works it out and confirms> WOAH!!! That's so cool! A fish with a pause...ghoti-ghoti! <lol> I bow to you...

Yastreb

We doing long words now? In my native Finnish you can make arbitrarily long compound words. I personally like neliväriarkkirotaatiolaakaoffsetpainokone (a type of printing press). It is still beaten by lentokonesuihkuturbiinimoottorimekaanikkoaliupseerioppilas and taisteluvälinealiupseeriyhdistystoimintakoulutuskeskus (military terms both). All these have been used in actual serious contexts as far as I know so they are not just made up.

Mambi

Fun loving kitty cat
We doing long words now? In my native Finnish you can make arbitrarily long compound words. I personally like neliväriarkkirotaatiolaakaoffsetpainokone (a type of printing press). It is still beaten by lentokonesuihkuturbiinimoottorimekaanikkoaliupseerioppilas and taisteluvälinealiupseeriyhdistystoimintakoulutuskeskus (military terms both). All these have been used in actual serious contexts as far as I know so they are not just made up.

Linguists are funny. If the point of language is to communicate ideas, what's the point of a large word that nobody would ever use in daily conversation, nobody could reasonably pronounce or spell correctly, and it's actually larger than the idea it's trying to convey??? <lol>

No wonder it's a military term, they probably use it as a disciplinary device! ("When you can speak this word perfectly, you're free to leave your barracks. Most people take a week or 2, good luck!")

Ash Sukea

High functioning everything...most days.
Lately I’ve been bemused by the word ‘Gaboon’. Just think if it were an onomatopoeia.