• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Worst Game Endings of ALL Time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bokracroc

Bokra, come out to pla-ay
psion said:
Ahem, the Illuminati ending WAS the ending where you kept the world the glorous little hovel it was presented as in the first game.
IW's endings may have been less open-ended, but the endgame question was no longer "how do I want to change the world?" and was instead "What do I believe Transhumanism should be like?" (If you go back and try to listen to different NPCs, you'd find that each group subscribes to a different view (Apostle Corp:Brave New World, Omar: Neo-Darwinism, etc...) on the topics of bio- and nano-technologies such as the nano-augs that were front and center in the game.
I won't get into which ending was the worst, I wasn't a *true* Deus Ex fan and earned all the endings yet. There, I'm done.
That's why the first DX was better. Less of three evils. There was no soild ending but you have a general idea on the shit you'll cause.

IW endings are final, the end, game over:
Templar: Bio-mods ARE TEH EvIl RAWwararrrAarr.
Illuminati: We control the world and theres nothing you can do about it bitches! Hahaha!
JC: LeT's All Be ThE Same lolololol!
Omar: WE KICK ASS! DIE FOO'S!!!

psion

Bokracroc said:
psion said:
Ahem, the Illuminati ending WAS the ending where you kept the world the glorous little hovel it was presented as in the first game.
IW's endings may have been less open-ended, but the endgame question was no longer "how do I want to change the world?" and was instead "What do I believe Transhumanism should be like?" (If you go back and try to listen to different NPCs, you'd find that each group subscribes to a different view (Apostle Corp:Brave New World, Omar: Neo-Darwinism, etc...) on the topics of bio- and nano-technologies such as the nano-augs that were front and center in the game.
I won't get into which ending was the worst, I wasn't a *true* Deus Ex fan and earned all the endings yet.  There, I'm done.
That's why the first DX was better. Less of three evils. There was no soild ending but you have a general idea on the shit you'll cause.

Illuminati: We control the world and theres nothing you can do about it bitches! Hahaha!

And look how they made the sequel, they smashed the first three endings together and managed to extract a halfway decent story out of it. Can you imagine the nightmare of making a game that included all FOUR of those faction's philosphies? I imagine Spector must have said something akin to "there is no way we can make a third game out of this and call it decent, let's just make the endings final and leave it at that."
PS: Out of the four, the Omar were the only ones halfway decent in my mind. Their beliefs on cybernetic and genetic adaptation left plenty of wiggle-room for individuality (unlike JC) yet left it open to everyone (unlike the Illuminati.) That and their frog suits were freaking awesome!

psion said:
Bokracroc said:
psion said:
I won't get into which ending was the worst, I wasn't a *true* Deus Ex fan and earned all the endings yet. There, I'm done.

And look how they made the sequel, they smashed the first three endings together and managed to extract a halfway decent story out of it. Can you imagine the nightmare of making a game that included all FOUR of those faction's philosophies? I imagine Spector must have said something akin to "there is no way we can make a third game out of this and call it decent, let's just make the endings final and leave it at that."
PS: Out of the four, the Omar were the only ones halfway decent in my mind. Their beliefs on cybernetic and genetic adaptation left plenty of wiggle-room for individuality (unlike JC) yet left it open to everyone (unlike the Illuminati.) That and their frog suits were freaking awesome!

Those suits are awesome.

But yeah, what you said was the thing that bothered me a lot. IW just went it's own take on the endings and the story wasn't all that bad... But most of the game it felt like you made lil progress story wise and then, when your close to the end you suddenly get flooded with all kinds of information and it goes so fast that it seemed they just wanted to wrap up the game asap.

Out of all those the Templar ending was just uber funny and suckage at the same time. Alex went suddenly nuts out of nowhere making it just so unbelievable and out of character for him that it was a pure mismatch.

No, i did try out all the endings but IW never made me come back afterwards. However, i still play DX a lot. I still find new secrets, info and hidden passageways i didn't see or used before. This game still is to me the best (single player)PC game ever made. I never saw a game so deep and filled with info i was compelled to actually read then DX.

foreverwhiteknight

Floppy Disks!
Valoc Darkmyre said:
Pokémon (Core games RBY, GSC, RSE)

:lol: technically Pokemon doesn't really end. The "core" games (i.e. Gameboy) didn't really end, you just ran around, catching all the lil critters you could, and then you drug them to fight other lil critters :lol: Even when you beat all the gyms and "elite" people all you could do was keep fighting and keep catching more Pokemon. Which yes.. that does suck.. its like.. I spent hours.. and hours doing this.. and wtf.. what do I do with all these things I caught now? ^^;

kitsubaka said:
Resident Evil 4 - I have beaten the game twice I LOVE it, the ending is just kinda, eh? The things that you unlock after you beat it make up for it though.

Game was great, girl was whiney (I forget her name) but yes.. ending sucked very much.. and here I though it would be better cuz it was different than the other RE games.

kitsubaka said:
Legend of the Dragoon - ....

Love the game, loved the armor, especially his white armor at the end.. but yeah .. the ending thing sucked ^^;

Myr said:
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas -- Final mission was lame.

Yeah it was, especially if you weren't fireproof. Ending the GTA games kinda suck anyway because kinda like the Pokemon ones.. even though you're outta missions you still just.. run around and kill things ^^;

Myr said:
Need for Speed: Most Wanted -- And for that matter, all EA games...if there's even an ending at all. NFS:MW's ending was ok, but it's too bad the cops weren't better.

:lol: the cops weren't bad in the last mission.. after you beat all the blacklist.. but the rest of the game they were horrible. the whole game was just too easy to me. I have a hope that NFS Carbon will be better. At least in some ways. I already know it has better cars, and I'm hoping to pick it up sometime this week.

Argon

Power Ranges for the SNES..... black ranger doing his 2-d tastic dance! ><

Someone should make a joke icon out of it

psion

Killy the Fox said:
Those suits are awesome.

But yeah, what you said was the thing that bothered me a lot. IW just went it's own take on the endings and the story wasn't all that bad... But most of the game it felt like you made lil progress story wise and then, when your close to the end you suddenly get flooded with all kinds of information and it goes so fast that it seemed they just wanted to wrap up the game asap.

Out of all those the Templar ending was just uber funny and suckage at the same time. Alex went suddenly nuts out of nowhere making it just so unbelievable and out of character for him that it was a pure mismatch.

And the end battle in the bowels of Area 51 wasn't a sudden deluge of intel? You had the obvious (stop Paige) but as you go down both Tong (let's bring back the Dark Ages) and Helious (I changed my mind, I want to do the fusion dance with you instead) were both a sudden "huh-wha?" moment. I still can't believe I initially found myself nodding to Tong's rational for trashing the Aquinous server Bob Paige set up down there.

Back on topic, another crappy ending belonged to a fairly obscure PC game called Hardwar. It was a futuristic flight sim where you were a mercenary pilot on the moon of Titan. Corporate backers pulled the plug on the colony and left you stranded with everyone else there. It was a beautifuly deep story-driven game that didn't get the polish or the respect it deserved. The ending sucked because it was a cliff-hanger with your home being destroyed and your only safety was a alien ship you hitched a ride on (long story.) The game was so obscure it never sold enough to justify a sequel.

foreverwhiteknight

Floppy Disks!
another one that no one has mentioned yet is Flashback: The Quest For Identity (SNES version). Once I figured out how to get past the first lil bit, I loved it but the ending kinda disappointed. Going through all that just to get a spaceship flying off and a journal entry. It left you wanting more and then they finally did make it (Fade to Black on PS1) it was like.. not that good ^^;

Ropii

The worst ending in Akumajo Dracula: Gallery of Labrinth(castlevania PoR). Its not even an ending really, just ahint on how to get the good ending and the game over screen.:?

Hokay, worst game ending ever goes straight to Colossus. I think that's the right name... your enemies were pretty much the boss AND the level. The one that involved you crawling your ass all over some big grass-and-dirt enemy to stab it in a sweet spot til' it died a whole bunch of times. Well, the whole point is that you do this to bring your girlfriend back to life through some strange dirtgrass-thing killing magic. You do all this, it'll take you about three days if you don't sleep or go to work. I watched my friend do this on and off for a few days. In his plight, he almost gave himself a nervous freaking breakdown trying to kill some of these mothers. So the ending comes, and after you pretty much turn into a demon to kill some would-be human interlopers, you turn back to tiny human form and go over to your still dead girlfriend, thinking there's gonna be some sweet, sweet reverse snuff nookie lovin', but OH NO! You start getting sucked backwards into this big bowl-thing at the back of the temple. Now the part that makes that REALLY bad is that you'll have control of your character for the whole process: So you fight and kick and drag your ass across the floor to the pedestal of dead girl holding, only to find an invisible wall. Oh joy. At that point it takes another ten minutes to just give up and roll backwards to the bloody bowl, now knowing that that was exactly what was meant to happen. There's a big flash of light and a fade and... GIRL WAKES UP! YAY! Thinking there's gonna be some coitus when she finds you in the bowl, hopefully unharmed, you watch her get up and walk across the room and look in the bowl to find that you have been turned into a baby. With horns. Then there's a cutscene of her walking around with you in her arms, taking up the position of mother. CHRIST! You spent all that time trying to get her in the sack and now she's playing like she's your MOTHER! Worst of all, the assholes who tried to kill you earlier destroyed the bridge back to civilization on their way out, so you're stuck in colossus land with what is now basically your mother, your injured horse, and some birds. To hell with that. Really, nowhere near worth the effort. ,,I,, And that's a big bird flip to all the people who made that game. No deal.

SageHusky

HL2 was supposed to end like that cause they're sequaling it but still / my vote

Final Fantasy 9 the ending was good, but the final boss was the WORST of any game and had the least to do with the storyline...

W

Wiegraff

Any of the GTA games

and all other continuous game worlds.

The absolute worst being Gun.

People will argue that these games dont count cause they dont have endings, and I argue thats why they're the worst. Games should end damnit...

I say Gun because the game kinda half assed continues on, but there comes a point (Not hard to get to in a few hours) where there is literally nothing left do do but roam around and get ambushed by the same scripted bandits over and over.

Charha

Ultraviolet said:
Soul Reaver .. I love the whole series and the game itself, but you could just feel the end was rushed *and they admitted it was*

After the very first game of the series I got the feeling that ALL LoK sequels were rushed one way or the other. Things started going downhill when they introduced all that Raziel stuff. :p

Anyone ever played Drakan? It was a pretty fun game, but the ending sucked. I bought Drakan II just to see if they'd bother to explain what the heck it was all about. As far as I can tell the ending will remain something of a mystery. Or how about Jogging Instructor 2000 - *cough* I mean Crusaders of Might and Magic? I can't believe I actually played that game.

But well, I recently finished playing the latest Call of Cthulhu, Farenheit and Condemned. They were all kinda cool, but the endings weren't all that great. They got tedious, repetitive and their plotlines more like diluted than thickened.

The worst ending i have come accross thus far is the ending to The Matrix Path Of Neo.

It completly re-writes the ending to The Matrix Revolutions and basically makes a total mockery of everything the movies ever did to the point where your left wondering if you should laugh histerically or blow chunks and cry that such a great franchise has finally been ruined beyond repair!

Urgh...makes me cringe just thinking about it!

Rouge2

The had to rewrite it because the hero dying in the end wouldn't make a good game with a Final Boss that you cannot win against.

MistX

C&C RA2 was meant to have corny acting, as the whole game was set up to be more like a B movie, and the ending was very well deserved. Yuri's revenge set up for the 3rd faction C&C games like Generals and Zero Hour. Renegade had a very bad ending as well. Halo, and Halo 2 has a cliffhanger ending [Which the book: Ghost of Onyx, so far has not tied into.] The reason for the cliffhanger is obvious, Bungie wants you to be excited about Halo 3.

People are going to hate me for this, but I think HL2 was a sorry game. The only fun part was at the end, and even then the ending sucked.

dave hyena

A wonderous moorhen
Grim fandango

*has just completed Grim Fandango*

Well, maybe not the worst of all time, but considering the quality of the game, I was expecting something more. :(

Stillman

In regards to many of the titles being thrown around:

Deus Ex:IW: While the game was lacking in every respect when stacked next to its predecessor, the Omar ending was delightfully, pragmatically creepy. Not the ending video itself, mind you, but what the Omar Rep tells you right at the end. Something along the lines of "Your assistance is much appreciated. You will receive a discount at all of our vendors world wide." As though damning 95% of humanity to a slow, inevitable death was nothing more than a common transaction.

Hey, I dug it.

Anachronox: Yeah, the ending was crap. But it was preceded by one of the best one-liners of all time, fighting the second-to-last boss. You know which one I'm talking about.

Half-Life 2: Hey now, to the G-Man's credit he told you it was gonna happen during the initial train ride--basically "hey dood wake up you need to do something real quick, aye?" I can also forgive it because G-Man is one of the bitchin'-est characters from a game in a long, long time.

System Shock 2's ending was a bit of a let-down, but it's all good.

Bokracroc

Bokra, come out to pla-ay
Stillman said:
Anachronox: Yeah, the ending was crap. But it was preceded by one of the best one-liners of all time, fighting the second-to-last boss. You know which one I'm talking about.
Anachronox had a let-down ending because it was unfinished. They only got to make half of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.