• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Worst OS Ever?

Lexiand

Werewolf
I like windows 10
But when updates slow downs the computer and makes the disk usage high and even kill my computer
Im ripping my disc copy up

Hara Surya

Writer of Furry Smut
Worst OS I ever used was GEOS on the Commodore 64. It was a windowed operating system for a computer with a 1 MHz processor and 64KB of RAM. It took 10 minutes to load, to do anything it took several minutes to load even a window to manipulate files and while it had a WYSIWYG document editor simply turning the page took more than a minute. Also, I used a joystick to do everything rather than a mouse.

Redwulf16

Android OS. Androids are trashy poor-people phones and their operating system shows it. ome to think of it, iOS isn't too great either. Linux and windows FTW. Desktops 4 life.

Yumus

Remember; Wherever you go, there you are.
Temple OS

Its an os made by a schizophrenic basically

Ripped straight from wikipedia:
"Development for TempleOS began in 2003 after Davis suffered from a series of manic episodes that left him briefly hospitalized for mental health issues. Davis is a former atheist who proclaims that he has had "communications" with God, and that God told him the operating system he built was for God's third temple. According to Davis, TempleOS is of 'Divine' intellect due to the inspired nature of the code. According to Davis, God said to create the operating system with 640x480, 16 colors display and a single audio voice. The operating system was written in a programming language developed by Davis in C and C++, called "HolyC"."

Lopaw

Wandering artist weasel
I know a load of people grew up with it but I hate MS-DOS with a passion because of how clumbersome it is having to type tree and cd a awful lot without any typos just to get to what you want to run. Also hate it for making a load of games awkward or impossible to run without emulation.

Hara Surya

Writer of Furry Smut
I like windows 10
But when updates slow downs the computer and makes the disk usage high and even kill my computer
Im ripping my disc copy up

I've found Windows Defender to be the main cause behind a lot of the disk-access slowdowns in Windows 10. In one case involving a large manual "drag and drop" backup it slowed the transfer rate by more than 90%. I downloaded the copy of McAfee my ISP provides for free and saw a huge boost in performance.

And yes, the same McAfee that people make joke about being such a system hog. Either it's been fixed or Microsoft screwed the pooch on Windows Defender so badly it actually make McAfee look good.)

Connor J. Coyote

¥otie ¥otezer
The free Windows 10 upgrades (offered about a year or 2 back ago) - reaked *absolute hell* on several of our systems.. and were an absolute nightmare to deal with.

Like most folks, we were using 7 (for several years) - but the free upgrades we got (to Windows 10) - was *so awful* that we actually *downgraded* (one of our now former) PC's back to 7 - because 10 kept crashing the system (over and over again) and eventually - the whole OS became too unstable to make the PC even operable anymore.

Horrible. The Windows 10 free upgrades were very poorly executed - and many other users probably had the same fate that we did.

It screwed everything up so much - we now have to put in a new HDD and re-install 7 (or pay and install 10 from scratch) - just to get the system (on this one PC) workable again.

If I had the legal guts - my partner and I would've taken MicroSoft to "small claims court" - in order to get compensation for both the lost PC and the many hours of headaches and hassles we dealt with.

I was not a happy camper, with the free upgrades. ;)

Hara Surya

Writer of Furry Smut
If I had the legal guts - my partner and I would've taken MicroSoft to "small claims court" - in order to get compensation for both the lost PC and the many hours of headaches and hassles we dealt with.

I was not a happy camper, with the free upgrades. ;)

I'm pretty sure if they even bothered showing up (they might not) their lawyer would pull out the EULA, say you implicitly agreed to this and it forbids the claim and the judge would find in their favor. (That assuming it wasn't dismissed due to venue, you're probably bound to arbitration.)

Also, they haven't used the camel case in their name since Ronald Reagan was in office.

Eli Wintershade

Starting fires 1 by 1
If we are going to go by the mainstream OS than I would say that Windows Vista. It was just total trash and I think we all know what the problems, and I do not want to go into it as I do not have time to go over everything. I used it back when it first came out and I BEGGED my grandparents to find the windows XP install disc. 2 Gig of ram for an OS was just too fucking much.

As for the non mainstream OS than I would say that the North Korean OS Red star is horrendous. Due to the OS spying on the citizens of North Korea it fucks with security and makes it very possible to send a virus through just an email link. Like that is a SERIOUS flaw in the OS that is caused by them basically installing spyware that rips it apart. I am glad we do not use it just for that reason.

WarriorWhispers

.Pedigree.
I generally can't stand any of the Windows systems. I've never gotten good reliability out of them
I like MacOS but the hardware and price suck. I much honestly prefer Linux(either Mint or Elementary), but use Windows 10 for things like Photoshop and a few games. But my daily laptop runs Linux.

Littlefoot505

AKA Durango Thunderfoot
I'd say the worst OS I've ever used was the initial release of OS X Mavericks. It kept crashing and stuff, and was just crappy all around. Now I buy Windows 10 PCs. I don't like Windows 10's automatic updates, but I do like the OS all in all, and I also love Linux (I have Ubuntu and Q4OS on my laptop alongside Windows 10)

Last edited:

Foxy Emy

PFP by ScaratheWolf | Scarlett & [Selena]
Here's another rant that I'd like to hear. What do you fellas think the worst operating system ever is? My vote goes to Windows ME, because not only was it super unstable and crash-prone, it was also a cynical attempt to cash in on the fears surrounding y2k. What do you guys think?

I have said it before when asked my favorite OS, I will say it again now: it depends on who is using the OS and for what purpose.

I like Linux Distros, but you quickly learn that an OS which is good for one user's purpose may be awful for another user's purpose.

Take VyOS an example. It is made specifically for handling low level network traffic as a router/switch/firewall/etc.. It doesn't have a GUI; a GUI would take extra resources that could be spent on forwarding network traffic faster, anything beyond that is an extra expense. There is soooooo much stuff that you can do with it... at least in regards to networking at OSI layers 2-3.

However, pfSense does much of the same things as VyOS, but pfSense has a GUI and the shell commands are drastically different from those of VyOS. This doesn't make it better or worse; it certainly requires more from the hardware to do the same basic tasks, but it is easier to use... at least for some people.

VyOS is made to closely resemble the operating systems used in traditional corporate routers and switches, such as Cisco IOS. VyOS even shares many of the same commands as Cisco IOS, which is what most networking professionals learn on as they study for their CCNA exams. As such, VyOS is preferred by people who are familiar with such traditional office/ISP routers and switches; they don't have to do as much relearning if they choose it over pfSense.

Sunburst_Odell

Some weird teen on the web that likes cartoons
I'm not unique, my vote goes to Vista. YOU CAN'T PLAY SOLITAIRE

OK but in all seriousness, I remember my mom having a Vista back in '09-'11 and it would crash all the time. It was annoying.

Foxy Emy

I'm not unique, my vote goes to Vista. YOU CAN'T PLAY SOLITAIRE

OK but in all seriousness, I remember my mom having a Vista back in '09-'11 and it would crash all the time. It was annoying.

Meh... That had more to do with the Hardware than the OS. Vista was very resource intensive for it's time. However, it still takes less resources than Widows 10 does today. Consequently, Vista runs pretty well on newer hardware. It just didn't work on old hardware that wasn't powerful enough to handle it.

Sunburst_Odell

Some weird teen on the web that likes cartoons
Meh... That had more to do with the Hardware than the OS. Vista was very resource intensive for it's time. However, it still takes less resources than Widows 10 does today. Consequently, Vista runs pretty well on newer hardware. It just didn't work on old hardware that wasn't powerful enough to handle it.
I guess that makes sense.

MEDDL3r

I would have to say Windows Vista is the worst. I remember programs crashing, blue screens, issues re-installing the os and windows update issues. When the Windows 7 beta came out, I switched and immediately had a better experience.

Foxy Emy

Those really old, mechanical computers like The Antikythera Mechanism. Basically the human operating the device was the OS.

Oaker

Beacon of bad luck
Most people hated and still do today, window ME, even at the time I was aware of it and knew it, and followed along the whole "this os is baaad", also Y2K BUG FIX LOL AM I RITE GUYS? END OF THE WORLD. But to be honest, I lived fine with it, what I did with it in is day was play games on emulators (yarr harr do what you want 'cause a pirate is free!), use microsoft chat, and visit ye olde internet, I had to look up the stats on how to get my digimans on digimon world on gamefaqs. Also the occasional office for school stuff and such.

The little I've used windows 10 I've hated it more than I hated windows ME, which is nothing, I didn't reaaally hate it due to personal experiences, only went along with what everyone said.

Right now I'm using windows 7, I only changed from XP 4 years ago because my tablet didn't come with drivers for it.

R

Red_Lead

The worst operating system I had to use, dear God, was Windows Vista. It was SLOW as f**k.
Still remember the days of running games on the OS, most of them not working or was slow as sh*t.

rekcerW

red hat way back when it was still free. probably the same for most linux distros back then, but it was the only one i'd ever messed around with.
didn't support fuck all. no drivers for nothing. wireless card? good luck.

inkycoils

windows-freakin-10, just based on the goshdarn spying.
nixos is also remarkably frustrating to use.
(not mentioning older OSes / ones I haven't personally used. :) )