• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Night.Claw

I was big on keeping cactus for a while. (Is cactus thorn even counts as a splinter?)

So when i moved to my current home, i bought a few cactus, because i like them more than most flowers. There was this pretty one, called Fig Cactus, or Opuntia. That thing grows like crazy. The kind that grow thorns in bunches. So... mine was around 1m/3.2feet tall, and weight around 20-25kg/40-50lbs. And during the winter, they need to be kept inside, so it won't freeze and die. I was good at moving it. Did it for 2 years in a row. I had this ceramic pot i was planting it in, so i can bring it inside. Digging it out from the ground was okay. Covered it in some thick fabric, while i layed it onto the ground, the roots went into the pot, and then make it stand up. Thick welder glows, thick fabric around the cactus, and i was wearing double pullovers(thanks cold weather). Went like a dream. Then when it was finally stable into the pot, fabric down from the cactus, ready to lift and time to bring it inside. Yea... that's what i thought. As soon as i lift it, the side of the pot gave in to the weight, and broke dow, and cactus decided to "lean" on me for support. I suffered around 200 stings, burning sensations in my left arm, shoulder and left side of the front of my chest for days, and since in my pain, i dropped the cactus, what fell onto the ground, and got damaged from the fall, poor thing got brown, started to turn woodlike thick on the middle, and died in a few weeks.

Stacking garbage wooden pallets that are falling apart, sometimes you just get like 4-5 in one dang lift, it's fun having a job where you unironically bring tweezers with you. Worst was one I missed and the skin grew over it, hurt for like 2 days before eventually biting the bullet and digging it out.

That cactus story though, wow feels bad.

MCtheBeardie

Queen of Laziness
It’s not really a splinter, but a loose nail stabbed clear into the pad of my right foot. It didn’t hit anything vital, so it surprisingly didn’t hurt much, but there you go.

TheCynicalViet

It's definitely not a splinter but I was really drunk one time and one of my friends dared me to stick a toothpick in my big toe's toenail and I kicked the wall and embedded it into my toe. That hospital bill was not fun.

driftingdragon

It's definitely not a splinter but I was really drunk one time and one of my friends dared me to stick a toothpick in my big toe's toenail and I kicked the wall and embedded it into my toe. That hospital bill was not fun.
Jesus fuck! I can feel that, but hey I asked for it! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

driftingdragon

Does a 2' long steel rod count as a splinter? Had an olympic fencing weapon break and run through my leg.

Past that, the most problematic was super tiny, but ended up infected just right that I had a red swollen painful finger for a week. But I think @Night.Claw beats me.

That must have been a super problematic splinter if it's right next to you getting some steel in your leg :c

Funny how the little things can matter just as much as the big ones. ;-;

driftingdragon

I was big on keeping cactus for a while. (Is cactus thorn even counts as a splinter?)

So when i moved to my current home, i bought a few cactus, because i like them more than most flowers. There was this pretty one, called Fig Cactus, or Opuntia. That thing grows like crazy. The kind that grow thorns in bunches. So... mine was around 1m/3.2feet tall, and weight around 20-25kg/40-50lbs. And during the winter, they need to be kept inside, so it won't freeze and die. I was good at moving it. Did it for 2 years in a row. I had this ceramic pot i was planting it in, so i can bring it inside. Digging it out from the ground was okay. Covered it in some thick fabric, while i layed it onto the ground, the roots went into the pot, and then make it stand up. Thick welder glows, thick fabric around the cactus, and i was wearing double pullovers(thanks cold weather). Went like a dream. Then when it was finally stable into the pot, fabric down from the cactus, ready to lift and time to bring it inside. Yea... that's what i thought. As soon as i lift it, the side of the pot gave in to the weight, and broke dow, and cactus decided to "lean" on me for support. I suffered around 200 stings, burning sensations in my left arm, shoulder and left side of the front of my chest for days, and since in my pain, i dropped the cactus, what fell onto the ground, and got damaged from the fall, poor thing got brown, started to turn woodlike thick on the middle, and died in a few weeks.

This is a heartbreaking story, both for your arm and the cactus. Prickly pears are delicious.
I'm sorry the pain lasted for so long, like holy shit that's one evolutionarily powerful being!

Did you ever get a replacement cactus?
Also a moment of silence for the passed cactus. *raises paws*
51lc0bbwT5L._SX425_.jpg

driftingdragon

l was at the beach, and I ran my hand down the railing. Big mistake. I had a large piece of wood lodged under my thumbnail, and I had to get my thumbnail removed completely.
Fuck that sounds rough.

I lost a fingernail once but not from a splinter from stooooopidly rolling over it while trying to pick something up while going fast as heck on the streets on my skateboard. It was slow, and fascinating, and painful, but it was a learning experience!

Night.Claw

This is a heartbreaking story, both for your arm and the cactus. Prickly pears are delicious.
I'm sorry the pain lasted for so long, like holy shit that's one evolutionarily powerful being!

Did you ever get a replacement cactus?
Also a moment of silence for the passed cactus. *raises paws*
51lc0bbwT5L._SX425_.jpg

61W6KeOaDSL._AC_SY450_.jpg

It was similar to this one. :p

Tallow_Phoenix

Totally not a vampire
I don't remember the specifics, but I once had a splinter so bad while camping that my guardian's attempt at removing it caused me to black out. (I was kind of a sensitive kid though.)

Ziggy Schlacht

Hasn't figured out this "straight" business
That must have been a super problematic splinter if it's right next to you getting some steel in your leg :c

Funny how the little things can matter just as much as the big ones. ;-;

Placement of the broken weapon was lucky - outer thigh. Not as many nerves as your finger. The second one honestly hurt worse.

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
I once thought I had a splinter in my butt when I was a kid and one of the teachers had to go looking to pull it out. ><
Turned out it was just some bit of grit that had got in my pants.

So that was the most embarrassing 'splinter' I ever had. Now its story will haunt the rest of you to your graves. :}

AppleButt

I stepped on a nail once, and the pain ran all the way up to my thigh. Hurt so bad. I guess that's not a splinter though, so...

A long time ago I remember walking on a wooden bridge barefoot, and then a splinter 1/2" long or slightly longer stuck right into my foot. My dad tried to pull it out with tweezers but it'd just break off more. So he got a pocket knife and cut the skin a bit to pull it out. It worked, but it hurt, haha.

malibu

I've had my fair share of splinters, but the most memorable was a piece of wood about the size of a thumb tack that lodged itself under my middle fingernail. It was hard to get out since some had broken off and I had to dig to get a large sewing needle in and remove it.

I'm very prone to splinters. I eat quite a bit of cactus and prickly pear, and my house is all old n falling apart.