• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Would it be Weird to have a Fursuit of a Character of the Opposite Gender?

Sunburst_Odell

Some weird teen on the web that likes cartoons
In the likely distant future when I finally get a stable job, I've been thinking about saving money for a fursuit because it's been my dream to own one since I joined the fandom. But it's been bugging me about what character my suit would be modeled after.

The obvious choice is my 'sona, Sunburst, but I've been wondering if it would be weird because he's a male character and I'm female. Of course, I have other characters, but it would just be weird to me to have a suit of a character that is not Sunburst, because I may end up losing attachment to said character (I probably won't ever of Sunburst)

So... would it be okay? Or would it just be really awkward and confusing?

G

Ginza

Why not?? Pocari roo is a female wearing a male suit. That’s the beauty of this fandom, and fursuiting in particular. You can be who or whatever you want to be! If I were to get a suit, it would be of a male character, despite me being female :p

Sunburst_Odell

Some weird teen on the web that likes cartoons
Why not?? Pocari roo is a female wearing a male suit. That’s the beauty of this fandom, and fursuiting in particular. You can be who or whatever you want to be! If I were to get a suit, it would be of a male character, despite me being female :p
I don’t think it’s weird.

I say do what ya want!
It's your character and you have complete create freedom to develop it.

Although male myself with my sona/OC my choice for it not to be of any biological sex.
Nope! Plenty of people have opposite-gender characters. It's not weird at all.
Your fursona can be whatever gender you wan't it to be. There are no limits.

Thanks, I feel more assured now. :)

Pompadork

Bowman
Not at all! I’ve seen men with female fursuits that have tiddies for fucks sake, that’s nothing compared to that. :D

Skakuna

Got tea?
It's perfectly okey to have a fursuit of the opposite gender :) Why limit yourself in any way? Just go for it ;)

x_eleven

The obvious choice is my 'sona, Sunburst, but I've been wondering if it would be weird because he's a male character and I'm female.

It's not only wierd, but the Committee of Fursona and Fursuit Design(tm) has expressly forbidden it. :D

Seriously, it's been done lots before.

This character (Renamon) is female. It's a guy under all that fur. It's not a problem.

Fursuitsandmore1022

A Sorta Experienced Fursuit Maker (•̀ᵜ•́)
I have a gender fluid character but I dont wear her much, But I say go for it! Who cares what other people think?

Skychickens

Late Healer Ferret
Not at all. Being genderfluid myself that’s normal for me.

My favorite youtube fursuiter is female wearing male and looks great.

Dax Cyro

Not weird at all. I know plenty of people whom have fursuits of the opposite gender.
I have 2 male and 1 female fursuit myself .
Based on my own positive experience I say go for it.
All characters have brought me equal amount of fun and joy :)

Nihles

Pet foxxo
My comment is actually just me quoting everyone. Seriously, go for whatever you want! Something to consider - make sure that the suit maker knows to accent male characteristics - broad shoulders, straight hips, etc. Otherwise the suit will fit your biological anatomy and make it harder for people to tell the character. Someone who has more experience, feel free to contradict or correct me.

Nihles

Pet foxxo
Also, is there anyone in the thread NOT a Pocari fan?

Varg Stigandr

If you're at a con and concerned about the person rather than the character you're in the wrong place. About 30 minutes into a con and my brain gives up on trying to see suiters as people wearing costumes and accepts the character presented as a person. It's wonderful. I love it. Go for it.