• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Would Weres Count as Furries?

B

BloodyBonez87

A new werewolf character concept! Sounds like fun! The books I mentioned though, they may not be of much help in that regard — they detail original werewolf lore and legend, which is very different from how werewolves are seen today. The lycanthropes of today are shaped very much by the stories that have been written about them, in film and books, which I've been steadily collecting. Not to say original werewolf lore isn't interesting, though. I'll happily volunteer if you wanted to bounce around any ideas/thoughts/e.t.c. on the new character you're working on ^^.GoldenWolf had a really great sketch where she showed her interpretation of the difference between werewolf, anthro wolf, and furry wolf, but she must have taken it down or something as I can no longer find it… It was a great drawing though, I shoulda faved it. I remember the “furry” was drawn with a carton of soda pop, which was a nice touch ^o^. But regardless, I think most use “furry” and “anthro” interchangeably. I find myself more inclined to use “anthro” over “furry” for digitigrade forms, and always “furry” for plantigrade forms.
Oh yeah, and as Ellaerna said, there's “ferals” too, a term usually ascribed to quadruped forms.
…Gosh, so many terms… I think someone even posted a Furry Glossary around here recently XP
I agree, the soda pop was an excellent example of the difference. furry art tends to be more cute and made out to be relatable rather than savage and scary. basically, if you say "awww..." when looking at a werewolf, it's furry. if you are scared s***less, it's not.

E

ellaerna

I agree, the soda pop was an excellent example of the difference. furry art tends to be more cute and made out to be relatable rather than savage and scary. basically, if you say "awww..." when looking at a werewolf, it's furry. if you are scared s***less, it's not.
Eh? While the furry trend is towards cute, I'd hate to say that scary sonas aren't really furries.
Sometimes, who you are is just a terrifying beast so horrendous that it's the stuff of nightmares. ;)

Eleven-lyc

Elder Werewolf
I agree, the soda pop was an excellent example of the difference. furry art tends to be more cute and made out to be relatable rather than savage and scary.
Ah, you remember it! Do you know if the artwork is still around anywhere? I wanna fave it :3
basically, if you say "awww..." when looking at a werewolf, it's furry. if you are scared s***less, it's not.
*Notes down under the heading "How to explain the difference between a werewolf and a furry"*
Raises an interesting thought, though, on scary/savage/e.t.c. characters… Would I consider Eleven a furry? Probably not, and mostly for that reason, although there are other sides of me that I feel are "furry". I guess not everyone would agree with that definition, though, which might in turn link in to why GoldenWolf's drawing might've been seen as controversial.

B

BloodyBonez87

Eh? While the furry trend is towards cute, I'd hate to say that scary sonas aren't really furries.
Sometimes, who you are is just a terrifying beast so horrendous that it's the stuff of nightmares. ;)
Truuuue... I remember once saw a guy whose sona was some kind of acidic eel-alien-beast and he made a lot of gory vore "art" I had forgotten I had seen his stuff... kind of sad that in this fandom stuff like that isn't shocking or memorable in the least.

B

BloodyBonez87

Ah, you remember it! Do you know if the artwork is still around anywhere? I wanna fave it :3*Notes down under the heading "How to explain the difference between a werewolf and a furry"*
Raises an interesting thought, though, on scary/savage/e.t.c. characters… Would I consider Eleven a furry? Probably not, and mostly for that reason, although there are other sides of me that I feel are "furry". I guess not everyone would agree with that definition, though, which might in turn link in to why GoldenWolf's drawing might've been seen as controversial.
actually no, I was just going off the description given. I'd love to see that pic too.

E

ellaerna

Truuuue... I remember once saw a guy whose sona was some kind of acidic eel-alien-beast and he made a lot of gory vore "art" I had forgotten I had seen his stuff... kind of sad that in this fandom stuff like that isn't shocking or memorable in the least.
I'm not big on vore gore, but I do love a good creepy character.
Vore is pretty darn common, but with all the sexy stuff, I feel like a truly horror based character would stand out pretty well.

dogryme6

Duality Fluff Dragon
Jeez, what the heck happened here, especially in that first part? What with the argument over wikipedia articles no longer being accurate or non-biased, that's just messed up mate. Wikipedia's supposed to be what I said it was supposed to be, and if these movements are blazing through and shuffling everything around to fit their views, it won't be long before wikipedia itself is defaced beyond recognition.
As for the whole were-anything, thing? Well, I'd certainly approve of more wolves, different species though I'd have to take on a case by case basis.
... But this depends on what your definition of a werewolf is. If it's those hoomins that turn into mindless violent wolf-like beasts every full moon, that's a pure werewolf that may not be welcomed with open arms by furries, since they'd probably fear for their own safety instead. If it's a hoomin that just so happens to turn into an anthropomorphic character every night or something, that's probably a furry. If it's an anthro animal that's one animal / character at day and another at night, that's when the definition starts to get really mixed up, because that's no longer a werewolf by the meaning of the name, sharing only the mechanics in it's own little way.

tl;dr, a shame about wikipedia, and werewolves can be whatever you think they are, as long as they aren't hostile in the fandom.

E

ellaerna

You're a little late to the party, friend.

As for the whole were-anything, thing? Well, I'd certainly approve of more wolves, different species though I'd have to take on a case by case basis.
You talk as though you're the authority on this. Haha. Though I did ask for opinions so, eh. Why would you only approve of wolves and not necessarily other creatures?

. If it's those hoomins that turn into mindless violent wolf-like beasts every full moon, that's a pure werewolf that may not be welcomed with open arms by furries, since they'd probably fear for their own safety instead
I was asking about the community view, not anthro as individual people. Furries can't really be scared for their lives since they're fictional. A werewolf I create couldn't attack your dragon unless I write that, which would be pretty dickish of me, but ultimately would have no affect on your boy.
or something, that's probably a furry. If it's an anthro animal that's one animal / character at day and another at night, that's when the definition starts to get really mixed up, because that's no longer a werewolf by the meaning of the name, sharing only the mechanics in it's own little way.
That is true. The were in werewolf comes from the word for man in some language, I forget which. So if we lose the man, we lose the were.

dogryme6

Duality Fluff Dragon
You're a little late to the party, friend.

You talk as though you're the authority on this. Haha. Though I did ask for opinions so, eh. Why would you only approve of wolves and not necessarily other creatures?

I was asking about the community view, not anthro as individual people. Furries can't really be scared for their lives since they're fictional. A werewolf I create couldn't attack your dragon unless I write that, which would be pretty dickish of me, but ultimately would have no affect on your boy.

That is true. The were in werewolf comes from the word for man in some language, I forget which. So if we lose the man, we lose the were.

Maybe I took it all in the wrong way then...

E

ellaerna

Maybe I took it all in the wrong way then...
Maybe, but that's okay. You made a good point about nonhuman weres not being weres.

And I'm still curious as to why wolves are ok, but bears or mice or whatever would have to go under review.

dogryme6

Duality Fluff Dragon
Maybe, but that's okay. You made a good point about nonhuman weres not being weres.

And I'm still curious as to why wolves are ok, but bears or mice or whatever would have to go under review.
Well, there's a lot of species that I'd end up being neutral on (not caring about), some I would support for liking them (Rodents, I think they're cute), some I would not for disliking them (things like snakes, if they eat living things alive). Just my opinion though... It's not like I have control over what anyone does...

Eleven-lyc

Elder Werewolf
“Old English”, aye, “wer” meaning “man”. At least, it's the most popular theory; the truth is we just don't know where the “were” comes from (so yes, even the Great Professor Snape technically gets it wrong : P). It could be a corruption of the word used for “werewolf” in a different language; “varg” appears in the word for some languages, from “vargr”, meaning “fiend”, and similar utterances for other languages. Another popular theory, one that appears often in sayings from the middle ages, is that it is called a “ware-wolf” because one must “be ware” of them.
My only input is “woof” =P
Werewoof =3
Wereworths are still anthro, they stand up right on two legs and make use of grabby hands.
I know it's just a typo and I'm not making fun of you for it, but "wereworth" sounds like a werewolf support group. And I love that mental image.
Nono — Wereworths is a British convenience store chain that went bankrupt during the financial crisis, very similar to another chain but specializing in products for weres. Extra-size clothing, anti-flea shampoo, claw-resistant upholstery, that sort of thing.
*… runs off and hides from Versive*

GarthTheWereWolf

Captious Lycanthrope of Forum Legend
358.jpg