• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Would you ever bring up any furry-related stuff in a conversation with a non-fur?

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
Nobody I know is interested in esoteric content I happen to like, so why would I bore them with that?
A couple of acquaintances have, when they've seen me wearing bunny ears or pajamas with tails on, asked me whether I'm a furry- and I'll naturally say yes, but I don't go bringing it up all the time.

Punnchy

Feed Me Pizza
I do all the time, most people and friends find it goofy or interesting. Sometimes both.

In our training class, we had to write 2 truths and a lie. I made one of my truths that I'm a furry, because I was trying to throw people off. We ended up having a conversation about it for about 10 minutes or so and it stalled the class :|

Troj

Your Friendly Neighborhood Dino Therapist
If I think the other person will find it interesting, cute, compelling, or at least inoffensive, sure.

After all, I'm very proud of my fursuiting, proud of the talented artists and fursuiters I know, and fascinated by the culture of the fandom in general, so of course I'm keen to talk about it with people who seem keen to listen.

But, this means that I sometimes have to actively restrain myself from just idly babbling about fursuiting or the fandom, and double-ask myself whether this is TRULY and REALLY the right place, right time, and right person with whom to bring this up. If I didn't monitor myself, I'd probably pester a lot of people with it :).

Eh, I have found that most people don't automatically have a negative preconception of furries. Most of the time they have no clue that such a fandom even exists.

Kokoro

I do all the time. Nearly all my friends have a better appreciation for furries because of my explanations. My interest in the furry fandom is the same as my interest in any video game or anime. And if someone says it means I like bestiality, I make the point that if they like anime it makes them a pedophile. Changes their minds pretty quickly.

The only difference between the furry fandom and other fandoms is that we are based around the creativity within the community instead of some intangible third party.

Alexxx-Returns

The Sergal that Didn't Vore

If I had a pound....

Besides, the Furry Fandom is just a sexual thing for allot of people, and since when is it okay to bring up your sexual fetishes in everyday conversation.

...When it's not a sexual fetish?

It's just a hobby. On my training course that I'd been on for the third day so far, I was reading a thread here at lunch and lol'd a fair bit. One of the other people attending asked what was so funny and I explained what. I mentioned it was a furry forum, but didn't go any further than that.

On the next break, she asked me if I had a fursona, I showed her some pictures of Calli (SFW and NSFW) and she asked if I had a costume. I said pending, and another dude there joined in the discussion.

The way I see it is, any opinion they have on the fandom is irrelevant when they talk to me, because they know I'm infinitely more awesome than the worst. And if they can't get past the negative images they might have, that's their problem.

Pinky

AKA Allie or Aouzy
I'd really only bring it up if the person said they liked animals, that's it. My family sorta knows I'm a furry anyway.

Plastic-Fox

TWould you ever bring up "furry stuff" in a conversation with someone that isn't one (or, alternatively, should any prerequisites be met before it is something you should talk about)? I know it can just be a hobby / interest like anything else...

I do all the time, most people and friends find it goofy or interesting. Sometimes both.

I'd say depends on your comfortability with the person you are talking to and if there is a place in the conversation that it just fits. For example hobbies/interests. It's like anything else you like... you don't just go around screaming at everyone "I LOVE _______ !"

S

Selachi

Maybe for you it's a hobby, but I'm merely a pervert. My hobbies are way more interesting than drawing cartoons.

Honestly, it took me longer than I would care to admit to realize that not all furs are on the same page in terms of what the fandom means to them. For some people it is squeaky clean, and it seems they are simply drawn to the cute "bubbly" artwork and atmosphere. Then you have your school kids who desperately feel the need to cling to a niche or sense of unique identity, but usually don't stick around. Then you have "furverts" like myself, where it's more of a fetish that is deeply ingrained whether you like it or not (it isn't "just a hobby" for people like that). The only thing that bothers me is how many higher-ups in the community seem very eager to let everyone know that the fandom is something completely innocent, and how the furverts are this "fringe" group that are in NO WAY representative of most of the fandom at all. I've been lurking long enough to see that while not exclusively so, there is an undeniable and prevelant sexual element to fandom, and that furries have the tendency to be into some pretty kinky stuff.

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
When people make extensive arguments to prove they're not obsessed with furry stuff or furry sex, it rather comes across as 'the lady doth protest too much' to be frank.

Gronix

Catless Cat Lady
It's hard to bring up furry stuff in a conversation when they haven't got a slightest idea of what it is. Not even bronies.
Once I almost cried when they asked me "What is a fandom?"
I don't bother explaining anything, because they don't care anyways

VintageLynx

Analogue fuzzball
I have mentioned my interest in the subject to people I know well but not my family (they blab too much). I blend it into conversation so I'll show them my photos I have taken and mention that I like fantasy art too. If they show interest then I'll show them some. I've not had a negative really yet - why should I?

Kokoro

I always make a clear distinction that "yiff" is a subset of the furry fandom rather than a base quality. While a significant portion of people might incorporate anthro art into their sexuality, sexuality isn't what the fandom is at its core; merely a supplemental quality.

Last edited:

Lucidus

Banned
Banned
You can bring up anything and talk "about" the subject. You don't have to talk in the first person but rather look at it as an outsider would to get their feel of it before you think on going deeper... I mean you can do that with almost anything. start by talking about random things and work your way into it. Ive talked about alot of taboo subjects with people from a analytic perspective and it make for good conversation.

Harbinger

The Last of Us.
With people i trusted yeah casually, like if we were talking about art i would say "yeah that anthropomorphic art is bad ass", but i have anyone i trust who isnt inside the fandom already.

Troj

Your Friendly Neighborhood Dino Therapist
I'd really only bring it up if the person said they liked animals, that's it. My family sorta knows I'm a furry anyway.

Yep--I'm typically bring it up with people who've already shown that they're interested in animals, cartoons, cosplay, cute stuff, unusual or obscure subcultures, improv, identity development, or alter egos/avatars.

Fallowfox said:
When people make extensive arguments to prove they're not obsessed with furry stuff or furry sex, it rather comes across as 'the lady doth protest too much' to be frank.

Agreed. When someone devotes more energy to explaining what they're NOT than they do to explaining what they ARE, that's more than a little suspicious.

Of course, at the other end of the spectrum, you have the people who project their own kinks and sensibilities into everyone else, often because they're deeply insecure about possibly being a "party of one." So, they'll get pissy and defensive with anyone who just casually shares that they're not into kinky or sexy stuff, and insist that such people are just in denial.

Bottom line, though, the fandom offers a broad range of potential experiences. If you want to stay on the G- or PG-rated side of the street, you can do that with no problem. If you want to go dabble in R- or X-rated stuff, there are outlets for that, too--but, just because that stuff is available doesn't mean the fandom is absolutely and totally defined by it, any more than the otaku fandom is purely defined by hentai.

It just means that there's potentially something for just about everyone, and that people aren't (or at least, shouldn't be) compelled to partake in things they don't personally care for.

RedLeFrench

Writer extraordinaire
To answer the question, I kinda do most of the time, since my book has a lot of furry-esque elements past the midway point. And most people I talk to don't seem to mind or object, since they only see Disney when I talk anthros, which makes conversation that much easier. Then again, that is also why I write the book in the first place : to convert everyone to the Great Fur God, so that's that.

Nataku

Shapeshifting alien dragon
It comes up in conversation regularly for me. But I'm rarely the one that starts said convos. I carry a sketchbook with me basically everywhere I go (boredom, I draw, a lot) and there's lots of furry stuff in there. People regularly look over my shoulder at what I'm drawing and go 'what's that?' to which I then answer it is an anthro ~insert species here~. Which is, at least a good 80% of the time, followed by another 'what's that?' - this is when a conversation about furry starts.

Am I at all concerned about talking about furry with people? Nope. I'm self confident enough I really don't care if they want to take it the wrong way. Also, I'm on the squeaky clean side of the fandom. So there's no yiff or anything of the sort to be found in any of my sketchbooks - despite some people being sure that I must draw 'that stuff'. I've had my sketchbook taken from me numerous times to have every page looked through because 'I know there's got to be some smut in here somewhere!' ...and then when they had my book back five or ten minutes later with a defeated look on their face, the usual comment is 'you know, I hear they make this magazine called playboy for folks like you.' So yeah, usually if someone already knows (or thinks they know) what furry is but isn't a fur themselves, they often have bad preconceptions and assume it is nothing but a sexual fetish. To which I must counter that I didn't know they thought of Micky Mouse that way. But the majority of folks I meet have no idea what 'furry' even is, so I explain the fandom, and then its up to them where they want to take it from there.

Kleric

Well, being relatively new from the shadows, not only would I not bring it up, but I probably also wouldn't admit to it. I'm still sitting comfortably in my hypothetical closet. :confused:
If I were, I apologize. I would be one to contribute to the stereotypical view that furry's get from the general public; I'm a complete pervert when it comes to this stuff. o_O

(This small of a step, and I'll admit I am far from my comfort zone already.)

PriestessShizuka

Dragon Master
As long as I don't call it "Furry stuff", I can talk about anything with my friends, and just simply express my love and fascination of animals and animal morph art to anyone. Sometimes they find the anthro art a bit strange, and maybe they'll wonder "Why is this girl obsessed with animal characters so much?" but it's always harmless, especially friends who pretty much EXPECT me to show them all my quirks! :p
With most people, if I say I'm a furry, 99% of the time, the response is "What's a furry? (You don't look furry. Just your head has hair from what I can see O:)"
Though if I specifically categorize my interests and call it "Furry Stuff" or say things like "I like this because I'm a Furry" THEN it gets awkward and others begin worrying for their moral standards, and I have to make sure they understand what a Furry actually is. DON'T LET THEM LOOK IT UP ON THEIR OWN!! XD

F

FangWarrior

Well, depends. I only bring it up if they bring it up. Or when I feel it's on topic.

Furry_Kai

I brought it up durring Halloween costume dicussion and while half of the people there thought it was cool or ok from the rest i got the thats weird and it snowballed down hill from there... Its just a fun hobby/activity so I dont see it as an issue to talk about it or see any need to hide it...

not sure how i feel about bringing it up...
With friends and my family its easy cause while my mom is kinda on the fence about it being ok, my dad thinks its cool and most of my friends are a little awkward like me so they think its cool or atleast they dont lecture me lol:)

IAN

If the conversation leads to it, then yes. Otherwise no because it's really annoying and it makes you look like a complete aspie in the process.

Like, if we're talking about a specific event that happened at a specific time or location of a furry con I attended, I'd say something like "Oh there, I was actually at a furry con a while back" or something. Other instances are when people see my PC or phone background and ask who the character is, which I explain is my own and naturally end up describing the fandom and it's workings.

Most of the time people don't know what furries are which in that case I just explain the basic aspects of it, others who have the bad-taste from media are easy too because I can just be like "yeah, it's a common target for satire" and explain the stereotypes and what-not. Which most intelligent people who've seen enough on TV understand that satire is a thing.

Negative reactions I almost never get, only once have I encountered the stereotypical furry-hater, a lonesome miserable 15yo with obvious autism who lived on 4Chan and Reddit that everyone I knew hated, who went on-and-on with the generic, overused bestiality and fursuit-sex stereotypes and threatened to kick my ass if I ever came near his dog. xD

If the conversation leads to it, then yes. Otherwise no because it's really annoying and it makes you look like a complete aspie in the process.

Like, if we're talking about a specific event that happened at a specific time or location of a furry con I attended, I'd say something like "Oh there, I was actually at a furry con a while back" or something. Other instances are when people see my PC or phone background and ask who the character is, which I explain is my own and naturally end up describing the fandom and it's workings.

Most of the time people don't know what furries are which in that case I just explain the basic aspects of it, others who have the bad-taste from media are easy too because I can just be like "yeah, it's a common target for satire" and explain the stereotypes and what-not. Which most intelligent people who've seen enough on TV understand that satire is a thing.

Negative reactions I almost never get, only once have I encountered the stereotypical furry-hater, a lonesome miserable 15yo with obvious autism who lived on 4Chan and Reddit that everyone I knew hated, who went on-and-on with the generic, overused bestiality and fursuit-sex stereotypes and threatened to kick my ass if I ever came near his dog. xD

Err, is that using a serious illness as a derogatory term? Maybe I just don't get around the net enough to see much of that.

Last edited: