• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Would you get offended...

Phoenixwildfire

Resident pervy rainbow unicorn
by jewelry using real animal bones?

Not gaudy horrible looking things, but Native American sold hand-reared animals who died humanely. Made to be a testament to the animal spirit that the species represents.

I'm currently talking about a small fox jaw, with small feathers and leather wrapping as a testament to the fox god Aguara aka Tunpa of Native American mythology.

LonelyFox

Care to join me for a bit?
i would not be offended, as long as it wasnt killed for the purpose of using the jaw, and that the whole body was used ;)

Phoenixwildfire

i would not be offended, as long as it wasnt killed for the purpose of using the jaw, and that the whole body was used ;)

yep, bought from an ojibwe woman who raises silver fox as pets. When they die, rather than just discard of the body, she sells bones and such to use for her people and for people she knows will not disrespect the animals.

dietrc70

by jewelry using real animal bones?

Not gaudy horrible looking things, but Native American sold hand-reared animals who died humanely. Made to be a testament to the animal spirit that the species represents.

I'm currently talking about a small fox jaw, with small feathers and leather wrapping as a testament to the fox god Aguara aka Tunpa of Native American mythology.

That sounds very interesting. I'd love to see pictures of it!

I have a fox skull that I'm using for drawing practice (need to do more of that), plus three real fox tails of different types, so I'm obviously not adverse to using the "gifts" of an animal.

Though, I'm a little suspicious of the idea of a "hand-reared" fox that "died humanely." Those have got to be in pretty short supply...
Edit: Wow, a pet silver fox breeder? Okay, but I still wonder how she would wind up with so many fox skulls...

Last edited:

RetroCorn

Did someone say waffle?
i feel realy sad whenever i walk into anywhere where they have a stuffed animal, especialy any canines. :(

LonelyFox

Care to join me for a bit?
yep, bought from an ojibwe woman who raises silver fox as pets. When they die, rather than just discard of the body, she sells bones and such to use for her people and for people she knows will not disrespect the animals.

i feel it is OK as long as the animal's bones are treated with repect and honor

Phoenixwildfire

That sounds very interesting. I'd love to see pictures of it!

I have a fox skull that I'm using for drawing practice (need to do more of that), plus three real fox tails of different types, so I'm obviously not adverse to using the "gifts" of an animal.

Though, I'm a little suspicious of the idea of a "hand-reared" fox that "died humanely." Those have got to be in pretty short supply...
Edit: Wow, a pet silver fox breeder? Okay, but I still wonder how she would wind up with so many fox skulls...

She had a fox beside her on a leash. The thing was seriously trained, like a dog... it was totally awesome XD I got to pet it and play with it lol

She has over fifty of them, and yeah they're in pretty short supply, which is why she wants to meet people she sells to before she actually gives them the product. She wants to make sure the people she sells to won't make something that will be disrespectful to the fox, since in their culture the fox is the second most sacred animal. The coyote is first. She does NOT mess with coyotes. In fact, she feeds them lol

RetroCorn

Did someone say waffle?
as long as it's not killed for it i guess it's fine...

i can't stand anyone that hunts for sport though. :(

Phoenixwildfire

as long as it's not killed for it i guess it's fine...

i can't stand anyone that hunts for sport though. :(

oh no no no >_< I hate it too, don't worry about that...

this little fox actually had a name, and her own little personality before she died of a bad cold. :( we had a -really- bad winter this year. over 100" of snow. Her name was Crissy.

the jaw actually isn't wrapped yet, (I wanted to ask if people would send me death threats or not) but here's the jaw-

fox-jaw.jpg

ExTo

Under the sea, near heat vents
I see nothing wrong with it. Then again I have little respect for cadavers themselves, even for humans - I think the memory of the lost one needs to be honored, but personally I don't really care much for the body. I know I'll allow my own to be butchered for organs, and if the rest could be useful to science (or as cat food, har har), I'd give it away, too.

dietrc70

That's very interesting.

I've talked to people who have kept foxes as pets and loved them, but they pretty much center their lives around keeping the fox happy. Foxes generally don't work out as pets, since they are incredibly active, very destructive, often don't understand the concept of litter training and want to play for hours at midnight. I'm just a bit puzzled at how she could have 50...all the breeders I've talked to have only a few breeding pairs and hand-raise the young foxes and usually sell all of them in a season.

I don't want to be morbid, but are you sure that she is really getting most of her business from selling LIVE foxes?

Phoenixwildfire

That's very interesting.

I've talked to people who have kept foxes as pets and loved them, but they pretty much center their lives around keeping the fox happy. Foxes generally don't work out as pets, since they are incredibly active, very destructive, often don't understand the concept of litter training and want to play for hours at midnight. I'm just a bit puzzled at how she could have 50...all the breeders I've talked to have only a few breeding pairs and hand-raise the young foxes and usually sell all of them in a season.

I don't want to be morbid, but are you sure that she is really getting most of her business from selling LIVE foxes?

not sure on that note, but she's one of those old cat ladies, except she has fox.

She's very particular about the people she sells to, I know that much. She wanted to know exactly what I wanted to do with this.

I stretched the truth when I said 50 though, I don't know how many in particular, but there were quite a few lol in actual numbers... probably 10? maybe 15. But a lot of fox there. Baby fox too lol very fuzzy.

MauEvig

Celestial Angel Kitty
I...guess it's ok...as long as it's not tortured or maimed or anything in the process.
I'd feel really uncomfortable if it was the skin of a cat or something though, but I guess I'm partial to cats.
Though I am a big meat eater...xx;

Phoenixwildfire

I...guess it's ok...as long as it's not tortured or maimed or anything in the process.
I'd feel really uncomfortable if it was the skin of a cat or something though, but I guess I'm partial to cats.
Though I am a big meat eater...xx;

well those are house pets o_O my goodness if it was a dog... *shiver* but no, these were domesticated fox, silver fox in particular. think of a ram turned into a sheep.

I would not be offended.

If it was from bones they found lying around (dead animal carcasses and the like), I see no problem.

If it's from animal they killed to eat and such, and happened to use the bones for jewelry also, I see no problem.

If they killed the animal just to use its bones and/or flesh for decoration, then I am entirely against it.

[insert sigh here]

Life feeds on life. All animals have a purpose and that is to feed and be fed to each other in order to maintain the system of checks and balances in the various ecosystems of the Earth. In that aspect the only way then to defile the true spirit of animal nature is to kill it without an intended purpose.

If I collect roadkill off the road, which I do, and practice the skill of tanning and cleaning the bodies for use in various projects [artistic and craft] then I am in fact honoring the spirit of the animal in giving its body, which was killed by an unfortunate event of man's doing, a final purpose. Yes? I'm also removing it from the road which keeps other animals from coming to eat -it-, and potentially get hit by cars themselves.

But I could just go out and shoot a fox, I've got plenty of them around me and it would have no lasting effect on my slice of the world. They circle the house all night screaming at each other. They'd eat my cats if they got a hold of them, I've fought foxes before and they don't shy away as easily as you'd think when they're hungry. They also smell bad and are usually covered in mites. But anyway, if I shot that fox on my property- Especially if it was threatening my existence, that is my right as another living being to do so. Same goes for deers, squirrels, any animal really. Predator or Prey.

Humans [all of us using the BBS right now] thrive on a trade system based on skill and money. At the heart of it all we learn skills to trade the fruits of that labor with other humans. In selling a piece of art or jewelery or a fly lure or whatever it is that I have created from the animal's body I am feeding myself, feeding my family with the money that I receive from the labor I have put out. For a human this is no different than a vulture scavenging the rotting corpse off the side of the road and consuming it. Both contain purpose and benefit.

I understand where people want to say they are offended by selling the parts of an animal, but seriously. Think about it. When you draw, you draw on paper. Paper made from Trees. Trees harvested from an animals' habitat, now destroyed. You draw with an ink pen. Made in a factory. The wastes from that factory and the space for the factory itself having its on effect on the Earth and some living being's habitat. You sell that piece of art, which has -no- value whatsoever other than pure aesthetics and this is somehow better than me shooting one singular animal? Every little thing you buy or do or wear or eat has impacted more than just the animal involved. It impacts entire ecosystems, and the world.

You feel offended for the fox because it is a fox and you think foxes look cool or exhibit behaviors you relate to aesthetically or spiritually. Mostly aesthetics. It's pretty sad behavior from beings of supposedly higher thought. Seems like all having the ability to contemplate does is drive you further from the truth.

Last edited by a moderator:

Slayn

bang your head.
I have a:

deer skull

fox skull

12 leg bones

5 spinal cords

and a duck bill

all in my room

so no I'm not offended.

Draco_2k

Rawr.
FURRY?!?! OFFENDED!?!?!

Seriously though, no. I'm not sure why would you ask either.

I do think wearing bones (and fur and scales) is creepy though, not to mention unhygienic.