• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Would you live as a pet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tailmon1

Fennec World dominance!
You want to poison people...or help make medicine?

I'm too wild for that. I'd be put down for biting people.

That really depends upon the demeanor of the pet and the master. I've never ever
had a mean pet nor has one ever bit anyone. Yoshiko had a bad past and my former
forster kid must have abused him. After getting rid of the issue I spent time
getting him back to being held and loved by people. He is enjoying his life and
all the nice places to relax in my new home.

Ozriel

Inglorious Bastard
That really depends upon the demeanor of the pet and the master. I've never ever
had a mean pet nor has one ever bit anyone. Yoshiko had a bad past and my former
forster kid must have abused him. After getting rid of the issue I spent time
getting him back to being held and loved by people. He is enjoying his life and
all the nice places to relax in my new home.

I worked with a variety of animals growing up and yes I have to agree with you. Though it depends on the animal. Wolf-dogs are difficult to raise if you cannot assert yourself as the alpha since they need that social pack stricture. Same goes for Breeds like Huskies, malamutes, and other northern sled-dogs.

There are also animals that have calm dispositions bred into them. At the Zoo I volunteered at, the tigers were like big kittens that wanted attention from people and loved being around them. Being licked by them, as cute as it was, was like being licked with steel wool.

But if I had to be one, I'd be a ferret or a Tamaskian Dog.

Tailmon1

Fennec World dominance!
I've had my fair share of pets over the years. Perhaps more than most people. My mother raised Grand Champion Afghan hounds. She also ended up running the Humane society in town and I worked there. I've had two pet Raccoons and both were fantastic pets. Believe me that a Raccoon is much like a young child and can open your cabinet doors and remove all the dishes like any young child can. I've handled cats. dogs, Snakes, turtles and had a 5 ft green iguana that hung around for 22 years. I'm a real softy for abandoned pets. Not one of my cats came from friends or other people they just showed up as kittens on my doorstep.

My sister's husbands sister had a Ferret and they are unusual pets and are in my opinion dangerous pets. Ferrets can and do get out of their cages and into lots of trouble and they kill other pets. Sister woke up one night because her husband was thrashing in his sleep. She pulled the covers and found the bed covered with blood and the Ferret hanging on to her husband over the left breast with its jaws clamped closed and he was bleeding rather profusely. Lets just say that the ferret was gone the next day.

Raspberry

Potatoes.
If I was a dog I'd have no chose. I'd hope I'd be lucky enough to be someones pet. I believe all domestic animals should be with humans. It's sad that feral animals are a thing but it happens..

Now, if my fursona was a domestic animal? Same thing. I'm not fond of stuff like Warrior Cats or Ginga Legend Weed where all the animals are feral pets going on adventures.

My sister's husbands sister had a Ferret and they are unusual pets and are in my opinion dangerous pets. Ferrets can and do get out of their cages and into lots of trouble and they kill other pets.

Ferrets are no more dangerous than a dog or a cat. If anything, those animals are more dangerous than a ferret actually. Ferrets are predator animals so of course they're gonna hunt prey animals like hamsters, rabbits, or just anything smaller than them in general.

Last edited:

Phyllostachys

Feigning intelligence
Well, being a domesticated animal surely has its merits; as they are generally better nourished, sheltered from elements, and medicated for parasites and diseases, they have longer life expectancy compared to their wild counterpart(of course, exceptions always exist).

However, the problem is that all domesticated organisms, including pets, are more of a mean to provide various forms of benefits to their domesticators. So if that organism possesses traits deemed undesirable for that purpose, we modify them; in case of pets, we breed them to get desirable forms, spay or neuter them, and train them to prohibit certain behaviors(not that these things we do are wrong). And as pets and other organisms do not have the ability to understand why what we do to them are required and agree with it(or disagree and counter argue), they just have to accept what they receive. I wouldn’t want to be in situation like that.

Still, wilderness is a harsh place to live in…. So if I become an animal, I think I would like to be an animal in a zoo focused more on preservation then entertainment.

But then to think of it again, if I really become an animal, it probably won’t matter whether I become a pet or something else; as I won’t understand most of the things anyway and would be happy as long as my needs are filled at the moment. In that view, perhaps a pet’s life may not be as bad as I think, but still I wouldn’t want to become one. I love my sentience and cognitive ability too much.

Ozriel

Inglorious Bastard
Ferrets are no more dangerous than a dog or a cat. If anything, those animals are more dangerous than a ferret actually. Ferrets are predator animals so of course they're gonna hunt prey animals like hamsters, rabbits, or just anything smaller than them in general.

You can break them out of the nipping habit with proper training. They continue to do that if you do not provide boundaries and socialize with them.

Jabberwocky

bitch where
You can break them out of the nipping habit with proper training. They continue to do that if you do not provide boundaries and socialize with them.

exactly. I raised a ferret for four years and you definitely can train them not to bite. Ferrets are not prone to violence unless exposed to it or provoked, just like with any domesticated animal, they are really just little clowns of joy that want to play and want your love. They really are cute and loving pets.
Talimoon, there is no reason to fear a ferret.
If you ask me, it looks like your strange case of the "ferret hanging from the nipple" (I laughed too hard oh god) is a bad case of mistreatment on the owner's part.

Last edited:

Tailmon1

Fennec World dominance!
exactly. I raised a ferret for four years and you definitely can train them not to bite. Ferrets are not prone to violence unless exposed to it, just like with any domesticated animal, they are really just little clowns of joy that want to play and want your love. They really are cute and loving pets.

I never said I fear a ferret. Just that they can be dangerous. They bite and do not let go.
All pets have a danger to them. Her ferret killed my new kitten when it got out of its cage.
I fear no pets or raging animal I am cautious and careful. As My mother said "Every Dog
Has his Bite." and I take care because it is true.

Jabberwocky

bitch where
I never said I fear a ferret. Just that they can be dangerous. They bite and do not let go.
All pets have a danger to them. Her ferret killed my new kitten when it got out of its cage.
I fear no pets or raging animal I am cautious and careful. As My mother said "Every Dog
Has his Bite." and I take care because it is true.

Bite and do not let go? What? I have owned a few ferrets in my life and they have NEVER EVER done that. Nipping, yeah of course, but that always can be taken away with training. Ferrets killing other animals like that? I am just gonna go on a hunch and still go with the impression that your sister's husband really mistreats the ferrets he owns, because for a small creature like that to go batshit and start killing after so much domestication is really something serious and rare.

Ozriel

Inglorious Bastard
exactly. I raised a ferret for four years and you definitely can train them not to bite. Ferrets are not prone to violence unless exposed to it or provoked, just like with any domesticated animal, they are really just little clowns of joy that want to play and want your love. They really are cute and loving pets.
If you ask me, it looks like your strange case of the "ferret hanging from the nipple" (I laughed too hard oh god) is a bad case of mistreatment on the owner's part.

I lurve ferrets. I just don't have the money and space to own a couple of them. When I do, I want to make a Ferret playland!

Batty Krueger

DJ Nailbunny
My friend used to have 3 ferrets and I swear one was retarded. Always running into walls and doing weird shit I've never seen other ferrets do. I got nipped by one of them but he was just really hyper at the time. You goats keep their cages nice and clean always or they can stink something fierce.

As for being a pet, naw. I would want to be wild and free like a sweet honey bee.

You had it right the first guess.

Let's go with Blue-Ringed Octopus.

We've had a few of those come through my work, special orders for crazy reef nuts. I love reef building as much as the next guy, but fuck no to blue rings.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ozriel

Inglorious Bastard
We've had a few of those come through my work, special orders for crazy reef nuts. I love reef building as much as the next guy, but fuck no to blue rings.

What about the Lionfish some reef builders like to have in their tanks? Those things can cause cardiac arrest if you get stung by one?

And in some rare cases, some keep jellies in tanks for looks and stuff. Too bad you can't keep anything else in the tanks with them.

Batty Krueger

DJ Nailbunny
What about the Lionfish some reef builders like to have in their tanks? Those things can cause cardiac arrest if you get stung by one?

And in some rare cases, some keep jellies in tanks for looks and stuff. Too bad you can't keep anything else in the tanks with them.
I've been poked by one of my lion fish before and it felt like my arm was in a chemical fire for 6 hours, that's about it. I guess people with heart problems might get cardiac arrest, but I havnt heard about any fatalities involving a lion fish sting.

DrDingo

Moved to phoenix.corvidae.org with the others
Of course I'd prefer to be given free food, enrichment, and accommodation for lying on my arse all day. Who wouldn't? Regardless, given the choice I would rather be human. Always.

Ikrit

I'm fired up!
im into petplay and stuff...the situation that you speak of is my fantasy

i wanna be a puppy :c

Raspberry

Potatoes.
Her ferret killed my new kitten when it got out of its cage.

How old was the kitten? Most ferrets are pretty shabby hunters actually - they can barely hunt mice - so I assume the kitten was pretty small and young. You shouldn't expect pets to interact well when they're new; even a dog or cat can harm a new pet.

No. This is just a silly hypothetical question and should be treated as such.

I doubt there's not at least one person here that's actually being serious.

The fact that there are a couple people using the same "pets have it easy" justification is starting to worry me. If this were all a joke people wouldn't be saying something like that.

Ikrit

I'm fired up!

The fact that there are a couple people using the same "pets have it easy" justification is starting to worry me. If this were all a joke people wouldn't be saying something like that.
they are generally referring to pets that belong to responsible owners

Willow

FAF's #1 Terrorist
The fuck does that have to do with anything?

What?
Don't you think you're the one taking this thread seriously?

What Ikrit's referring to is pets with good owners usually have it easy.

Don't you think you're the one taking this thread seriously?

What Ikrit's referring to is pets with good owners usually have it easy.

Yes but that had nothing to do with what I was saying at all. At no point did I mention or even imply that pets didn't have it easy.

Ikrit

I'm fired up!
Yes but that had nothing to do with what I was saying at all. At no point did I mention or even imply that pets didn't have it easy.
i misread your post, i thought you meant that pets don't have it easy, not that the members should be making crazy statements or the like. I think?

sorry

Wither

Is honestly confused by life.

....who cares?
I don't care, do you care? You shouldn't care.

Status
Not open for further replies.