• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.
So, I was flipping through the internet, and found this video reflecting internet memes and pop culture from around 2010-2013
I was quite suprised! I had almost forgotten about so many of these things! How time has changed!
Pop culture has changed,
New technology has been invented,
People seem to be doing dumber and dumber dares/trends,
Humor is getting stranger,
Spongebob memes are still a constant,
And so much more,
It may not be over yet, but what do you think this decade will be remembered for? What will we remember in 10 years?
Maybe some user 10 years from now will necro this thread, who knows? :p
Let this serve as a time capsule!

It is amazing how subtle changes are able to add up to make a prior point in life completely unrecognizable.
Sure is, I still can’t tell how we went from this
B69E1BA8-B615-440A-A040-1A27F1989BCF.jpeg
To this:
B63C341D-149D-4C26-9930-63C1EE2A6793.jpeg

MadKiyo

Imma bat in yer rafters
Sure is, I still can’t tell how we went from this
To this:
mmmm, I would argue the really surreal ones don't appear that often, and there has been some really surreal art done in human history, but I see what you mean. The "E" meme would be a better example, as it has become the textbook example of a meaningless, surreal meme that's popularized.

Jackpot Raccuki

Fucking Racon
Spongebob memes are like canned foods, they don't expire for a stupidly long time.
Then you have the typical 2 week expiration date memes.
And then you have "normie" memes that are forbidden online.

mmmm, I would argue the really surreal ones don't appear that often, and there has been some really surreal art done in human history, but I see what you mean. The "E" meme would be a better example, as it has become the textbook example of a meaningless, surreal meme that's popularized.
Yeah, the Markiplier E meme just shows how much our memes "evolved" and how we'll find mostly anything funny. I don't know if that's really a good thing or a bad thing to be honest.

Nihles

Pet foxxo
Homestarrunner and random, but generally meaningless viral videos turn to a stupendous amount of homemade 'hot take' shorts. I'm super grateful for meme makers and such though.

I think the proliferation of social media and ubiquity of smart phones has given loud and obnoxious people the ability to be noticed in ways they never could have 15 years ago. just as sites like Facebook and apps like telegram help fairies find and interact with each other, so to do these sorts of things help people with extreme ideas or interests find each other too.

D

Deleted member 82554

I don't know what this decade will be remember for, but I know the next one will have something to complain about.

Yakamaru

Autumn wolf
People evolve. Humor evolve. Social interaction evolve. Tools evolve.

Everything evolves over time, and with the help of the internet we are evolving faster than ever before.

Simo

Professional Watermelon Farmer
Odd, I have not seen the "E" meme. But I am pretty much woefully and willingly ignorant of most memes.

I

Infrarednexus

I never understood deep fried memes to be honest. The only thing that should be deep fried is food :3

Yakamaru

Autumn wolf

Yakamaru

Autumn wolf

Alondight

always fluffy
I think the reason why memes nowadays are so weird and surreal is because the old memes from ten years ago have become too mainstream. They were once as well considered weird and obscure by 'normal' people and only the internet savvy crowd understood them. So now we have stuff like this..
d3d.jpg

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
@Alondight I think most normal people would understand the joke of a funny photo of a proud baby, with a caption about not spilling spaghetti sauce
You could find that caption funny if you'd never used the internet before.

So those jokes probably always had mainstream appeal?

N

Nyro46

I don't really follow memes, nor do I find most of them very funny. It seems that memes have evolved more into just being inside jokes or trying to be as random/nonsensical as possible. Ironically though I have a really weird sense of humour and tend to find things funny that most other people wouldn't.

Also never heard of the "E" meme, but definitely seen the "B" meme, which is an example of something either being an inside joke or just being random. Personally I don't find the "B" meme funny but to each their own I guess.

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
And on a related note, I'm still having a hard time believing that this decade is nearly over now. I remember the Gulf Oil Spill, the Haiti Earthquake, and voting in the 2010 midterm almost like it was just yesterday.

The past eight years have been barely more than a blur to me...

Shit I didn't even realise that.

Ramjet

Seizing the memes of production
I miss the 90's:(

And on a related note, I'm still having a hard time believing that this decade is nearly over now. I remember the Gulf Oil Spill, the Haiti Earthquake, and voting in the 2010 midterm almost like it was just yesterday.

The past eight years have been barely more than a blur to me...

I relate to this so much.
Yup, where did it go?

giphy.webp

AppleButt

I miss the 90's:(

Those were the days I’d go to my grandpa’s house every weekend and eat his bombass sausage he’d make.

He died in ‘98. I remember being there when he was about to have a heart attack (he was a doctor so he saw it coming) and watching my parents rush him to the hospital.

So when I think of the 90s, I think of my grandpa, haha. Dammit I wish he hadn’t died when I was young.

On another topic. As far as cultures of the decades go, I was honestly kind of out of the loop on all that. I never really had internet until high school, and was very outdoorsy. I didn’t keep up with all the fads.

So sometimes when people are like “You remember this song? Or this trend from the early 2000s or whatever.” And I’m like “Uh, no”. :p