• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Writing software

AniwayasSong

I've tried, but I'm not a tech-savvy Bitc,,, uh, Wolf of the female persuasion, so keep getting sidetracked and lost in my own attempts to 'Search' this topic and find meaningful answers.
Here's my question, and I sincerely appreciate anyone that can answer in a 3rd Grade manner my limited cranium can grasp?
I write. I write, a LOT.
Pencil or pen, and paper, mostly. (you shush! I've graduated from the clay tablets and cuneiform!)
I have untold stories on old 'Floppy discs', written in Ye Ole 'Word' format. Mostly unreadable/openable to me now that times have changed, and I've gone through a few PC's since the early days.
I have a LOT of stuff on 'Word', which seems to have graduated to 'Apache'.
Yet, I see/hear a lot of Authors talk about other formats ('.pdf'?), and such, that these modern sites use, and are far easier to copy/paste/transfer?
Help?
What's the best way to jump on this modern day pixel publishing, and share with others stuff that's literally disappearing into the swirling ether of ancient past, and doomed to be lost?

Thank You.

Well, I don't know how or where you could find a place that can extract the data from your floppy discs, but I use Open Office for my writing, which I believe can open .docx (how Microsoft Word saves text) files and allows converting them into both .odt (how Open Office saves text) and .pdf files, so I think all you really need to do is google "Download Open Office", install it, and save your previous works as whatever format is needed.

There are plenty of tutorials on how to use Open Office on the internet as well in case you ever get stuck. Hope this was helpful to you.

AniwayasSong

Well, I don't know how or where you could find a place that can extract the data from your floppy discs, but I use Open Office for my writing, which I believe can open .docx (how Microsoft Word saves text) files and allows converting them into both .odt (how Open Office saves text) and .pdf files, so I think all you really need to do is google "Download Open Office", install it, and save your previous works as whatever format is needed.

There are plenty of tutorials on how to use Open Office on the internet as well in case you ever get stuck. Hope this was helpful to you.
Thankies, and I shall now endeavor (to not lose whatever is left o' mah mind), to educate mahself on this!
(I gotta buy another bottle of pain reliever)
Kee-riste, how did simple 'Writing' become so complex! (Egyptians... Ah'm blamin' them!)

ben909

TFTGed beevee... that did not go as planed
something to point out, you can probably still get your data from the disks, there are external floppy dives