• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Wtf is the deal with Therians?

Parabellum3

I'm not a furry if I have feathers.
For the most part they are harmless. Unless, they are the soul bonders from the infamous Final Fantasy House.....
This reminds me of an encounter that I had with one actually. I was once friends with this person who seemingly kept changing their variety at least everyday.

So one time I decided to ask what they look like in real life. They show me a picture of honey badger (which they claimed to be at that time). And I’m like: “Ok, but what do you look like as a human?”

To which their response was: “NO! I AM A HONEY BADGER! IT SEEMS THAT YOU NEVER CARED ABOUT ME AT ALL!”

Then they blocked me afterwards.

StolenMadWolf

resident Lab Wolf
Well, I can draw similarities between myself and an animal... but that is only really for the sake for a little bit of fun at the end of the day, and not because I actually believe that I'm that animal spiritally, which to clarify, I'm not theian/otherkin.

To be perfectly honest, it's all pretty harmless to me (well, save for those who honest to hell have actual issues that need checking up on) and unlike say, the Final Fantasy example, there is a proper historical basis for this kind of thing.

So as long as someone doesn't start making such a big deal about it and forcing ideas into people's heads, hey, let people believe what they want and explore themselves.

Baalf

Will accept free hugs and tummy rubs.
Personally, I am not entirely sure that I get therians. I don't blame them for whining to be a different species, but do people actually believe they are?

Then again, some days I wish I were literally any creature besides human.

Raever

Chaotic Neutral Wreckage
Personally, I am not entirely sure that I get therians. I don't blame them for whining to be a different species, but do people actually believe they are?

Then again, some days I wish I were literally any creature besides human.

Short answer is, no: They don't believe they're a different species physically. Not "now" anyway. It's the other stuff that gets blurry.

Raever

Chaotic Neutral Wreckage

Sam Akuchin Wamm

okay i quite clearly don't know what context you are using the word therian in here because it's quite clearly not the one it was intended for.

Raever

Chaotic Neutral Wreckage
okay i quite clearly don't know what context you are using the word therian in here because it's quite clearly not the one it was intended for.

Therian:

A therianthrope (or therian) is someone who experiences animalistic traits. There are some therianthropes who identify as something animalistic which may not have existed on earth. Theriomythics (mythical beasts such as dragons) are among these and it is an individual choice if they consider themselves to be therianthropes or otherkin.

There are many theories as to why therianthropy is experienced. Some believe their therianthropy to be caused through reincarnation or misplaced souls, while others attribute it to scientific or psychological reasons such as imprinting, an innate predisposition, abnormalities in neurological wiring, or any of a number of various other theories.

(
source)

Xitheon

The cat's mother.
I never I.D.'d myself as 'Therian' and know next to nothing about the given definition of that word/group/ideology. Just putting that up front in all honesty.
I do believe in reincarnation and 'Animism', as defined by most Native People's theologies (and others, not trying to be prejudiced, either).
As such, I'm as certain as I can be I've lived at least three lives prior to this human one. One avian. One canid. One I'm not sharing here.
As for mythological critters? Here's my thoughts on it after I burned through a few thousand brain cells considering it-
Single biggest counter I hear folks present to this is- "How can you have lived or been something that isn't real?" Good point!
Now, I'm also not a theoretical physicist, though what little I can grasp fascinates me. What about alternate realities or multi-verse theories that have (I believe) been proven as mathematically possible? Who can say what will or will not work in such environments? If Souls aren't limited to the real world, perhaps they can slip in-between realities/universes? It makes me ponder.
As for most Therians claiming to be 'Popular Species'? Another good point, and my last take on it-
Ever wonder why we like/dislike certain things? Foods we adore, others we detest? Types of music, art, hobbies, etc.? Who's to say people 'Remember' past lives they most closely relate to for whatever reason? Perhaps prejudice does play a role in this? I wouldn't want to recall what living a life as a banana slug was like, as an example.
So, things to ponder.
Ain't life grand?
;-)

I'm on the fence about the idea of souls. I've been taught to be cynical about such things. I was brought up as an atheist and I don't have spiritual beliefs as such, although my romantic love of stories and the devine drags me in the other direction.

The idea of "daemons", as in Philip Pullman's epic His Dark Materials, is particularly attractive to me. An animal that represents the soul. Part of me is drawn in by this concept to the extent that I lose my grip on reality. I've literally been searching for my daemon since I read the books in my teens.

I'm conflicted. Sometimes the idea of spirits and souls overwhelms me so I fall back on solid reality. Cynicism is safe and solid.

Raever

Chaotic Neutral Wreckage
I'm on the fence about the idea of souls. I've been taught to be cynical about such things. I was brought up as an atheist and I don't have spiritual beliefs as such, although my romantic love of stories and the devine drags me in the other direction.

The idea of "daemons", as in Philip Pullman's epic His Dark Materials, is particularly attractive to me. An animal that represents the soul. Part of me is drawn in by this concept to the extent that I lose my grip on reality. I've literally been searching for my daemon since I read the books in my teens.

I'm conflicted. Sometimes the idea of spirits and souls overwhelms me so I fall back on solid reality. Cynicism is safe and solid.

Not everyone needs to believe in a soul to have a spiritual path. Agnosticism and Eclectic Witchcraft exist for these reasons.

Xitheon

The cat's mother.
Not everyone needs to believe in a soul to have a spiritual path. Agnosticism and Eclectic Witchcraft exist for these reasons.
I find spirituality in general frightening.

For instance, when something bad happens to me, I hate the feeling that I deserve it and that I'm being punished by some force or other for a past transgression. It makes me feel helpless and scared.

Raever

Chaotic Neutral Wreckage
when something bad happens to me, I hate the feeling that I deserve it and that I'm being punished by some force or other for a past transgression. It makes me feel helpless and scared.

The cool thing about Eclectic spirituality is that it is what you perceive it as. You take what makes sense to you, and disregard what doesn't fit in your path.
Spirituality is far more than just being shamed by a religious group. I highly recommend looking into figuring out what Spirituality as a whole can mean.
The concept of being "punished" isn't a regular thing, but something that usually only exists in specific religious sects.

Sam Akuchin Wamm

Therian:

A therianthrope (or therian) is someone who experiences animalistic traits. There are some therianthropes who identify as something animalistic which may not have existed on earth. Theriomythics (mythical beasts such as dragons) are among these and it is an individual choice if they consider themselves to be therianthropes or otherkin.

There are many theories as to why therianthropy is experienced. Some believe their therianthropy to be caused through reincarnation or misplaced souls, while others attribute it to scientific or psychological reasons such as imprinting, an innate predisposition, abnormalities in neurological wiring, or any of a number of various other theories.

(
source)
oh you mean a therianthrope, not a therian. i know what a therianthrope is.

well i'm not that but yeah i'm a goat-like thing from the moon.

funny, i imagined i'd need a better human disguise, but your species is so damn.. well.. the word we use basically translates as "human" anyway, that no matter how weird an unexplainable we appear to you as you STILL think it's just totally normal and something from your own planet you totally understand in some way.

the irony of that being that even your own planet is full of things you can't even begin to explain with your current very narrow-minded idea of science that simply don't believe because it happens in a location geographically distance from where the most scientifically developed areas are.

your xenophobia knows no bounds and it's the source of endless enjoyment for us.

how can an "intelligent" species like yourself be so proud of yourselves that you automatically assume you're right in all situations.

no wonder your planet is under quarantine. stay the hell away from all the other heavenly bodies. we don't want you. lol

Xitheon

The cat's mother.
oh you mean a therianthrope, not a therian. i know what a therianthrope is.

well i'm not that but yeah i'm a goat-like thing from the moon.

funny, i imagined i'd need a better human disguise, but your species is so damn.. well.. the word we use basically translates as "human" anyway, that no matter how weird an unexplainable we appear to you as you STILL think it's just totally normal and something from your own planet you totally understand in some way.

the irony of that being that even your own planet is full of things you can't even begin to explain with your current very narrow-minded idea of science that simply don't believe because it happens in a location geographically distance from where the most scientifically developed areas are.

your xenophobia knows no bounds and it's the source of endless enjoyment for us.

how can an "intelligent" species like yourself be so proud of yourselves that you automatically assume you're right in all situations.

no wonder your planet is under quarantine. stay the hell away from all the other heavenly bodies. we don't want you. lol
Go away.

Raever

Chaotic Neutral Wreckage

Sam Akuchin Wamm

humans are funny when they are human like this aw

AniwayasSong

This falls under what I call (and others have alluded to, too), what someone has by way of 'Faith'. I can't prove one way or another that souls exist. Given my own limited experiences and some (sometimes terrifying),,, let's call them 'Revelations'? I have no choice but to believe I have a soul, and by default so would everyone (everything living? still pondering that one) else.
If you took all the various religions or theological Paths and balled them up? I look for the commonalities they may/may not have. What is apparent in the vast majority of them is the concept of spirituality, good/evil, some form of Heaven/Hell, and a 'Soul/Spirit' that each person has. Good or bad behavior was often attributed to the influences of angels/demons for instance. Possession and the like. Folks back then did not have (and I'm going to state flat-out many in today's modern medical world are still included in this) a good clear understanding of how our minds work, so if they saw someone behaving strangely they'd say they were addled at best, or under some nefarious control of 'X' at worse.
Believing in Souls or having a particular theological 'Path' in itself isn't a bad thing, IMHO. Life is hard, often painful, and we're all doomed to die in one way or another. That's reality and it's something you ignore at your own peril. A way of soothing all of the trials and tribulations (and what I will also call 'Spiritual Candy' often used to lure/entice folks), is to believe in some form of Afterlife, a way of finding surcease for yourself if you lived a good life, or pay for your 'Sins' in some form of Hell if you did not.
I don't immediately hold it against anyone who believes in whatever. My own experiences with the Xtian Faith were to be blunt, utter horseshit, and I immediately began calling out at lies and hypocrisies as soon as I began hearing/reading them. To say I was defiant would be putting it lightly. That doesn't mean I disagree with everything about the Xtian Path!
I like the phrase 'To each their own!'
Respect me/mine and I'm happy to show others the same courtesy! (frankly, I've had more amazing conversations with folks who do not see/believe in things the way I do, and by having a conversation I think all parties came away smarter/wiser!)

Sam Akuchin Wamm

This falls under what I call (and others have alluded to, too), what someone has by way of 'Faith'. I can't prove one way or another that souls exist. Given my own limited experiences and some (sometimes terrifying),,, let's call them 'Revelations'? I have no choice but to believe I have a soul, and by default so would everyone (everything living? still pondering that one) else.
If you took all the various religions or theological Paths and balled them up? I look for the commonalities they may/may not have. What is apparent in the vast majority of them is the concept of spirituality, good/evil, some form of Heaven/Hell, and a 'Soul/Spirit' that each person has. Good or bad behavior was often attributed to the influences of angels/demons for instance. Possession and the like. Folks back then did not have (and I'm going to state flat-out many in today's modern medical world are still included in this) a good clear understanding of how our minds work, so if they saw someone behaving strangely they'd say they were addled at best, or under some nefarious control of 'X' at worse.
Believing in Souls or having a particular theological 'Path' in itself isn't a bad thing, IMHO. Life is hard, often painful, and we're all doomed to die in one way or another. That's reality and it's something you ignore at your own peril. A way of soothing all of the trials and tribulations (and what I will also call 'Spiritual Candy' often used to lure/entice folks), is to believe in some form of Afterlife, a way of finding surcease for yourself if you lived a good life, or pay for your 'Sins' in some form of Hell if you did not.
I don't immediately hold it against anyone who believes in whatever. My own experiences with the Xtian Faith were to be blunt, utter horseshit, and I immediately began calling out at lies and hypocrisies as soon as I began hearing/reading them. To say I was defiant would be putting it lightly. That doesn't mean I disagree with everything about the Xtian Path!
I like the phrase 'To each their own!'
Respect me/mine and I'm happy to show others the same courtesy! (frankly, I've had more amazing conversations with folks who do not see/believe in things the way I do, and by having a conversation I think all parties came away smarter/wiser!)
you'd be amazed how much mythology and what we think of as religion is actually the direct product of simple mistranslation.

if you went back into ancient times you'd be disappointed because a lot of the concepts they consider to be revolutionary are just common thought today.

the concept of a spirit doesn't mean one's self but rather their emotions.

the idea of your emotional structure returning again disassociative of experience is actually the product of probability.

i.e. there will be another like yourself in personality even if they are not you yourself.

this concept often gets misconstrued as #7711, your conscious sense of identity, being transposed to a new life and a new #7766, you see.

but essentially you will not again but there will be you again by chance even if it's not you. you understand?

i think that scene in 8th Day where the villain's clone is talking to his dying real self is very powerful in understanding that concept.

AniwayasSong

you'd be amazed how much mythology and what we think of as religion is actually the direct product of simple mistranslation.

if you went back into ancient times you'd be disappointed because a lot of the concepts they consider to be revolutionary are just common thought today.

the concept of a spirit doesn't mean one's self but rather their emotions.

the idea of your emotional structure returning again disassociative of experience is actually the product of probability.

i.e. there will be another like yourself in personality even if they are not you yourself.

this concept often gets misconstrued as #7711, your conscious sense of identity, being transposed to a new life and a new #7766, you see.

but essentially you will not again but there will be you again by chance even if it's not you. you understand?

i think that scene in 8th Day where the villain's clone is talking to his dying real self is very powerful in understanding that concept.
I now have all the confusion.
;-P