• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Xbox 720 to require always online drm and block out used games?

Kosdu

What is the problem here, exactly? PC games are already like this, and they have been for a long, long time. Thanks to Steam, nobody cares, because:

• The games are cheaper (generally - ActiBlizzard and EA still suck for pricing most days, but Far Cry 3 for example launched at $49 and went down to $29 for a while - Entire publisher catalogues are often available during holiday sales for the price of a single new release)
  • It's easy to use
  • Games generally go on sale or otherwise get "used-game" pricing anyway
  • You get to keep all the games you buy
  • No trip to the store
  • You don't get shafted by a $5 trade-in credit on a game that gets resold at $30 by companies whose sole reason to exist is to sell used games at 400% profit margins or higher
  • Less e-waste
  • Downloads are absurdly fast - As fast as your internet can nom, the games are nommed
  • Log into your account on another computer, download the game, and play at a friend's house - No discs, no "product key already registered"

That's not to say that Microsoft and/or Sony will get it right. But frankly, people are overreacting. Seriously. It's not that bad. Plus, all the money you used to spend on used games that are now going to lower-priced new games? Straight to the developers. Unlike a used game, which is purchased once at retail, the developer gets a single cut, and then the game gets passed around and used and abused a dozen or so times. Like it or not, that hurts developers, and that's the number one reason why this kind of thing will happen if it does. On the PC, it was piracy. Quite frankly, since Steam, I can't remember the last time I pirated a game, and I've since purchased pretty much all of the games I've ever pirated.

Then again, Steam is a part of the PC master race, and it has to be awesome. Who knows what the MSFT and Sony equivalents would look like... Current digital download services seem to favour full retail pricing. Let's hope that trend doesn't continue.

PC/Steam is nothing like what they are talking about.

You only have to be online to download the games, and in alot of cases games can be purchased inna physical copy and installed many times.

Also, wtf happened to the "This" button? That was nice.

Kalmor

Banned
Banned
What is the problem here, exactly? PC games are already like this, and they have been for a long, long time. Thanks to Steam, nobody cares, because:

• The games are cheaper (generally - ActiBlizzard and EA still suck for pricing most days, but Far Cry 3 for example launched at $49 and went down to $29 for a while - Entire publisher catalogues are often available during holiday sales for the price of a single new release)
  • It's easy to use
  • Games generally go on sale or otherwise get "used-game" pricing anyway
  • You get to keep all the games you buy
  • No trip to the store
  • You don't get shafted by a $5 trade-in credit on a game that gets resold at $30 by companies whose sole reason to exist is to sell used games at 400% profit margins or higher
  • Less e-waste
  • Downloads are absurdly fast - As fast as your internet can nom, the games are nommed
  • Log into your account on another computer, download the game, and play at a friend's house - No discs, no "product key already registered"

That's not to say that Microsoft and/or Sony will get it right. But frankly, people are overreacting. Seriously. It's not that bad. Plus, all the money you used to spend on used games that are now going to lower-priced new games? Straight to the developers. Unlike a used game, which is purchased once at retail, the developer gets a single cut, and then the game gets passed around and used and abused a dozen or so times. Like it or not, that hurts developers, and that's the number one reason why this kind of thing will happen if it does. On the PC, it was piracy. Quite frankly, since Steam, I can't remember the last time I pirated a game, and I've since purchased pretty much all of the games I've ever pirated.

Then again, Steam is a part of the PC master race, and it has to be awesome. Who knows what the MSFT and Sony equivalents would look like... Current digital download services seem to favour full retail pricing. Let's hope that trend doesn't continue.
Steam lets you play your games you bought through it offline too. We're talking about a console that may not allow us such a freedom.

Judge Spear

Steam lets you play your games you bought through it offline too.

For some reason, I can't play certain Steam games when I'm not connected even in offline modeand most of my library is strictly single player. I'm not really ever away from a connection, but the inconvenience has occurred multiple times with Steam.

Ozriel

Inglorious Bastard
I'll wait until they unveil it before I make a decision whether to buy the new console or just stick with upgrading my PC.

Kosdu

For some reason, I can't play certain Steam games when I'm not connected even in offline modeand most of my library is strictly single player. I'm not really ever away from a connection, but the inconvenience has occurred multiple times with Steam.

Are they multiplayer based games or something? There might be something about this on the steam forums.

@Oz

I'd say just buy old games on steam for 1/5-1/10 their price on steam, but that's just me.

Me with a 3(.6 I think)ghz hex core processor and 16gb of RAM, and then a great vid card.....

=P

Last edited:

Harbinger

The Last of Us.
I think i might switch to the PS4 next generation, next xbox sounds just like one big fuck you to consumers. TBH we gamers are fucking pushovers, the sheer mass of people giving in is what lead us to the gaming industry as it is today, day one DLC, disk locked content, rushed annual releases, online passes, all that bullshit.

Ozriel

Inglorious Bastard
@Oz

I'd say just buy old games on steam for 1/5-1/10 their price on steam, but that's just me.

Me with a 3(.6 I think)ghz hex core processor and 16gb of RAM, and then a great vid card.....

=P

I do when they are available. I recently nabbed Arkham Asylum and city when it was on sale, as well as Morrowind. Other games that I have disks for I found at Target for dirt cheap. KoToR 1 and 2 were 10 bucks each and I nabbed them before someone else could.

The last "new" game I bought was Skyrim and its DLCs. I am still contemplating on buying Tomb Raider, but I may get it for my Ecksbawks tree-sitty. That and Kingdom under Fire 2.
My Video Card has a good 2 years plus before I have to upgrade it, but it plays new and some older games fine.

Last edited:

Aden

Play from your ****ing HEART

• Though you forgot the big one with Steam as it applies to this thread: it has an offline mode

Last edited:

lupinealchemist

Hamburger time.
That's it. I'm upgrading my PC. New motherboard, new processor, new RAM; these will go great with my new Graphics card.

Runefox

Kitsune of the PC Master Race
Though you forgot the big one with Steam as it applies to this thread: it has an offline mode
I have to wonder how many people they will alienate in areas without access to broadband. Then again, there's no money to be made via online services from those people, since MSFT will be giving the hardware away at basically cost again, and the developers take most of the share of a game sale.

No offline mode = no sale. Steam does it right - Run the game once online, verify your purchase, then boom, offline mode available. Your internet goes out, hey, your game still works (assuming it's not an Ubisoft or EA game).

Kosdu

I do when they are available. I recently nabbed Arkham Asylum and city when it was on sale, as well as Morrowind. Other games that I have disks for I found at Target for dirt cheap. KoToR 1 and 2 were 10 bucks each and I nabbed them before someone else could.

The last "new" game I bought was Skyrim and its DLCs. I am still contemplating on buying Tomb Raider, but I may get it for my Ecksbawks tree-sitty. That and Kingdom under Fire 2.
My Video Card has a good 2 years plus before I have to upgrade it, but it plays new and some older games fine.

Genius.

I'd try Thief, see if you like those games.

I think I got Far Cry 2 and all it's DLCs for like 5$ on there.

Just bought Natural Selection 2 Deluxe Edition for 20$ today, worth it.

Steam for the win.

Last edited:

Day Coydog

Cute, Pink Eyesore
If the 720 does happen like this, I don't know if I will even get it, I don't care, I'll just play halo 4 and minecraft for the rest of my days.

Ozriel

Inglorious Bastard
Genius.

I'd try Thief, see if you like those games.

I think I got Far Cry 2 and all it's DLCs for like 5$ on there.

Just bought Natural Selection 2 Deluxe Edition for 20$ today, worth it.

Steam for the win.

I have thief on a disk somewhere in my apartment, but I haven't installed it on my PC yet. I may give it a shot.

veeno

See ya latter ****ers.
Fuck this shit im playing my super nintendo.

On a different note,what about people who cant go over a certain limit with there internet? There fucked.

Last edited:

Hinalle K.

Banned
Banned
The whole point of console gaming to me is not needing an internet connection to play them.

It would be seriously stupid if they went with the working internet requirement.
I'd be fucked, my connection is unstable as hell.

*turns PC on* "Oh look, my internet connection is down yet again. Time to play some Elder Scrolls VI.
Oh wait. COCKBLOCKED"

Last edited:

CannonFodder

Resistance is futile! If 0 ohm
On a different note,what about people who cant go over a certain limit with there internet? There fucked.
Yeah, it's going to fuck over a ton of people.

Symlus

Sophisticated Snake
I have internet... but 90% of the time, it sucks too much for much of anything, so I typically just play single player games.

CannonFodder

Resistance is futile! If 0 ohm