• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

XenForo.

Kaira

http://xenforo.com/

Can we have this please? It's way better than vB 4.d'oh, and if you wanna spare me writing a paragraph long explanation, this is essentially what to Rock Band as vB is to Guitar Hero, development wise. New owners screw everything up, old developers make a spiritual successor.

CerbrusNL

I am legion, for we are many.
If you seriously want FAF to be changed to a completely different system, I suggest you try to do a better job at convincing us. "Use <X> because it's better" is not convincing.

[Edit]
Ok, here are a few suggestions that would help you convince us:

-What it it, XenForo has, that vBulleting doesn't have? (And the other way around?).
-How easily customizable is it?
-What does it cost?
-How easy would it be to transfer our current system to that system? (Users, settings, administration, old threads, plugins, etc etc etc)
-Why is it I've never heard of XenForo, whilst vBulleting is one of the best known types of forum software?
-Why doesn't XenForo have any page at all on it's site, that has an extensive list of features, or perhaps even some high resolution screenshots, instead of this:
screenshot.jpg

Not only did you not manage to convince me (yet?), Neither did the XenForo site...

I'll poke the administrators to take a look at it, tho.

Last edited:

Xenke

Hey, that site is like 50% me! (in name only of course)

I don't mind vBulletin though. It works and I can find threads.

CerbrusNL

I am legion, for we are many.
The first public beta release of XenForo was released in October 2010.
It seems like XenForo is still -very- young... Not exactly a pré.

Irreverent

http://xenforo.com/

Can we have this please? It's way better than vB 4.d'oh, and if you wanna spare me writing a paragraph long explanation, this is essentially what to Rock Band as vB is to Guitar Hero, development wise. New owners screw everything up, old developers make a spiritual successor.

Interesting first post... 'Bot's don't typically fill out the species tag though. They do however, tend to make more convincing and intelligent arguments than "Commodore Sucks, Ataris rock."

Carenath

Cynical Dragon
The long-short of Xenforo is this:

vBulletin's main developers wanted to rewrite the aging, PHP4 optimised codebase completely, to produce v4.0. (More or less following what IPS did with IP.Board).
Internet Brands, which own vBulletin, rejected their request with a 'we know best' attitude, and insisted on 'agile development'.
The vBulletin devs stepped down and formed their own company, producing XenForo.

XenForo is more-or-less what vBulletin 4.0 should be, though it remains to be seen how that software would perform and scale to a site as active as ours. I can safely say, I have no intention of switching the forums over to XenForo at this point in time.

Kaira

The long-short of Xenforo is this:

vBulletin's main developers wanted to rewrite the aging, PHP4 optimised codebase completely, to produce v4.0. (More or less following what IPS did with IP.Board).
Internet Brands, which own vBulletin, rejected their request with a 'we know best' attitude, and insisted on 'agile development'.
The vBulletin devs stepped down and formed their own company, producing XenForo.

Yeah, that's pretty much the tale. From what I have been hearing, despite the fact that its still in beta, I've seen a pretty positive response on many sites. And, yeah, I kinda noticed their site is a little bare, but looking at their actual support forum paints a better picture. The system looks pretty swift, even on a forum as large as theirs (it looks they get quite a bit of traffic there).

And yes, they did make a vBulletin converter. According to their site, it costs $140, and it includes a year of free support and updates. In comparison, vB 4 is $190. That's actually not bad, given how much junk the new developers are trying to pile onto it, its only been almost a year since it was first revealed and they're already on 4.1!

And on the not enough documentation front, the devs put a lot of videos on Vimeo detailing features and behind the scenes stuff. The style editor doesn't look like a big steaming pile (and I mean it, I actually ''did'' try out the vB 4 one, its indeed awful.)

Also, that thought of me being a bot is a little hilarious, given that I did post an intro thread awhile back :D

Last edited: