• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

YCH VS. WING IT - Which is preferred and why?

Batty Krueger

DJ Nailbunny
I'd guess YCH because you get to see what pose your sona is in and or doing before bidding or whatever.

Taralack

Hit 'em right between the eyes
I've never done wing-its, I don't think I'm popufur enough for it to actually be a viable way of selling art. Might try it next month though. But YCHs have gone down very well for me.

Sammacha

The one and only
I've always done "wing it's", and standard commissions (tell me exactly what you like).
I started that way and I feel opposite to Taralack.
I think that not popular enough to do YCH D:
I realize that they go on the front page but the vanish so quickly they don't seem to get noticed. I've tried several and only sold one, but my regular commission sales aren't too shabby.

I enjoy doing both, but it depends on your buyers.
Some people have idea's of what they want done with their character and others have blank minds when it comes to creating a pose.
I think it really depends on who your audience is, and what they like. One is not better then the other imo, but its always what you enjoy.

Just wanted to add, that I am fairly new to these things, but I've sold 2 of 10 YCH's, and sold 4 regular commissions in the same time frame. They just don't seem to work well for me at this time.

Zenia

For creating... I would rather make YCHs. There is almost no way the customer would be unhappy with the final product since they know what pose it is going into the deal. I would rather have a happy customer than have someone unhappy with the end result.

For purchasing... I like them both. With some artists, I like their styles so much that it doesn't matter what pose it is that they come up with. I will just say something like, "Maybe include a slice of watermelon!" and I will get something awesome like this: http://www.furaffinity.net/view/13771399/ ... I haven't been disappointed yet. :D I also like YCHs because if I see the pose on the front page (or in my inbox) it will make me want to see my character in that situation.

A

Abbi Normal

I'm assuming YCH's are more popular, since this is the first I've heard of a wing-it?

Valery91Thunder

Slasher Movies & Devil's Music
Care to explain exactly what a "wing-it" is? o.o It's the first time I'm hearing of them, is it pheraps a commission in which the artist has full artistic freedom on the subject? If so, isn't a "pay-what-you-want" commission basically the same thing? >.>

Terror-Run

Care to explain exactly what a "wing-it" is? o.o It's the first time I'm hearing of them, is it pheraps a commission in which the artist has full artistic freedom on the subject? If so, isn't a "pay-what-you-want" commission basically the same thing? >.>

Wing it is basically artistic freedom yes, but they also usually have a set price. I've seen a lot of "wing it" commissions when an artist want to try out new stuff. so a $x can get you some experimental poses, a new shading/painting technique, maybe a re-design of your character (though with the re-design it's usually stated that is what you'll get, since it's a pretty drastic change) So maybe like a reverse pay what you want? if that makes sense, there is a set price, but not a set product. (a lot of fun though)

Personally I prefer wing-its, or artistic freedom, as I don't mind any changes, and prefer non-scripted settings. I've only bought a few YCH and then it's a "wow! gotta have this" reaction. (I prefer YCH with mature themed work, as I'm more picky there). I get mostly wing-it commissions, only having sold a single YCH, but honestly the YCH here is a lot easier for me to do^^; (even when modifying the body type, adding wings and what'not, since the basic shape is already there)