• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

"You lose SAN."

Mega Wolf

Ok, another little questionnaire. This one is a little broad but stay with me here.

First of all, let me explain the title. There is a little game out their called 'Call of Cthulhu' (based on H.P. Lovecraft's books) and in this game you have SAN points, or sanity points. Whenever you see something REALLY MESSED UP, you lose SAN points. Lose enough, and you go utterly stark crazy.

Now, time to apply this to real life. Is there anything you guys have ever seen that you would consider so shocking, uncalled for, unsettling, unnerving, scary, or just plane "WTF!?!' that you would, in essence, lose SAN because of it?

Bokracroc

Bokra, come out to pla-ay
No, Movies and Video Games have desenitized me.

uncia2000

Mega Wolf said:
There is a little game out their called 'Call of Cthulhu' (based on H.P. Lovecraft's books) and in this game you have SAN points, or sanity points. Whenever you see something REALLY MESSED UP, you lose SAN points. Lose enough, and you go utterly stark crazy.

Temporary SAN loss vs. permanent SAN loss & rider re. amount lost in short period vs. total.
Not that I'm gonna go dig out the books... ;)
(*CoC first suggested by Steve Marsh under "American Gothic" title, but SAN concept existed previously in various RPG house rules...).

Hmm... temporary SAN loss is easy enough hanging around here for 60 hours at a time: sleep deprivation reduces tolerance threshold on that.

However, those partial decapitations some idiot thought to spam the fora with do take some beating... :? Lil' bit o' kitty died on those, too, I think.
(And no; don't anyone try again, 'coz that's instant, permanent ban territory... :()

d.

=

*Cthulhu takes 2d10 SAN loss from ginormous kitty and hand in the sky*

cth-qadesh.jpg

Myoti

That sounds oddly like "Eternal Darkness." =0

Maybe seeing that clip from the Silent Hill movie where Pyramid Head rips off someone's skin could cause me to lose a few points (though it wasn't real life... I hope).

as a young child I recall watching the news once and they were showing photage taken in some middle eastern country where tanks were rolling over people. Not with the belly of the tank but with the treds. Now this is what I saw and registered, I can only hope that what actually happened was far different.

iller

*Agrees with Uncia* ....seeing real Terrorist video of steel cutting through innocent people's necks cost me a few points...

I think what really did it for me though was the 2000 Election, it was the Perfect S#%t Storm of everything about the World that makes me want to buy a high powered Winston and start cleansing from downtown.

Kiniel

I believe I have reached the point where it has become nigh-impossible for anything to deduct very many sanity points from me...

I'm yet to determine whether or not that's a good thing...

Kiniel said:
I believe I have reached the point where it has become nigh-impossible for anything to deduct very many sanity points from me...

I'm yet to determine whether or not that's a good thing...

how is desensitation not a good thing? it makes your harder, better, faster, and stronger

I saw this 50-something old lady break into some kinda kung-fu stance and BEAT THE CRAP out of this guy who tried to snatch her purse. The loser really deserved it. Who still snatches purses in this day and age?

Mega Wolf

Seto Ashura said:
I saw this 50-something old lady break into some kinda kung-fu stance and BEAT THE CRAP out of this guy who tried to snatch her purse. The loser really deserved it. Who still snatches purses in this day and age?

Well, where I live there are not a lot of purse snatchings, just muggings. They are like purse snatchings but usualy the thief makes it a point to beat the lady with a pipe before he leaves... man I gotta move the hell outta here. -.-

Mega Wolf said:
Seto Ashura said:

Well, where I live there are not a lot of purse snatchings, just muggings. They are like purse snatchings but usualy the thief makes it a point to beat the lady with a pipe before he leaves... man I gotta move the hell outta here. -.-
Oh, I used to live in that kinda area as well-- I'da loved to see some muggers run up against Kung-fu Granny, though.

E

Epsereth

The new episode of Family Guy that Cartoon Network ran the Sunday before last.

Among many many other things:

Quagmire: Wow. *scratches* How'd all this skin get on my arm? *rrrrrriiiiipp!*

WHUUUUUUUUUUUT?!@

Vgm22

Furry/Scalie Of Mystery
9/11 would be an event that SANNED me. Plus any of the Silent Hill games.