• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

You try to say something positive to the media about Furry...

JoeStrike

WAY older than Mr. Black
Furry Nation, my book about the fandom's history was published last week. ( www.furrynation.com ) The publisher's publicist arranged an interview with the NY Post to promote the book. I made sure to downplay the "kink" angle the media like to focus on, repeatedly told him Furry was primarily art-bsed...and this is what we wind up with:

http://nypost.com/2017/10/14/inside-the-weird-world-of-the-furry-fetish/

I figured they'd mention the "F"-word at some point, just wasn't expecting the article to focus on it. (Foolish me.) I Em'd the writer and told him how disappointed I was in the article's slant. I briefly thought about posting his Em addy so furs could complain to him, but decided that would be unfair. I have no problem with people trying to reach him on their own, however.

L

-..Legacy..-

I believe that went decently well, considering. Congrats on getting a major paper to do the interview as well.

They had their obviously biased opinion, seeing as how they began the article with a big negative publicity lead irrelevant to your book release. That being said, they did show you respect on your actual interaction.

As a thought, instead of creating negativity with that particular reporter, invite him to an event that is relatively free of the "darker" side so he doesn't have ammo. Control his environment.

Yakamaru

Autumn wolf
NyPo. 'nough said.

Open_Mind

Sad. Unsurprising.

For what it's worth, you've got a happy customer here... copy just arrived today :D
Thumbs Up.jpg

JoeStrike

WAY older than Mr. Black
I believe that went decently well, considering. Congrats on getting a major paper to do the interview as well.

They had their obviously biased opinion, seeing as how they began the article with a big negative publicity lead irrelevant to your book release. That being said, they did show you respect on your actual interaction.

As a thought, instead of creating negativity with that particular reporter, invite him to an event that is relatively free of the "darker" side so he doesn't have ammo. Control his environment.

Good idea - but he probably wouldn't be interested in travelling to Furpocalypse (or writing about Furry again) He did let me speak my piece - but quoting me as saying "Strike insists" is almost the same as "Strike denies." ("Strike explains" would've been a lot nicer.)

Yakamaru

Autumn wolf
Whatever you do, don't send them to the next Rainfurrest..

L

-..Legacy..-

Good idea - but he probably wouldn't be interested in travelling to Furpocalypse (or writing about Furry again) He did let me speak my piece - but quoting me as saying "Strike insists" is almost the same as "Strike denies." ("Strike explains" would've been a lot nicer.)

I think he used the term in regards to the question in your favor, personally. Keep in mind that most people on this planet couldn't explain the difference between those words anyways lol.

You've done well with this, keep it up

*Golf Clap*

D

Deleted member 82554

Pretty sure the New York Post is known for sensationalizing news. Heck, they make Fox News look good.

Anywho, can't you file a dispute for slander or something? I'm fairly sure there is something you can nail them with.

L

-..Legacy..-

Pretty sure the New York Post is known for sensationalizing news. Heck, they make Fox News look good.

Anywho, can't you file a dispute for slander or something? I'm fairly sure there is something you can nail them with.

Not going to get too in depth with this, but no. Slander is spoken, Libel is published, and the writer didn't partake in any defamation in general.

Troj

Your Friendly Neighborhood Dino Therapist
Dr. Gerbasi was amused that the article misidentified her as a Canadian, too.

The article is shit. I've seen worse, but that's not saying much. It's strictly mediocre.

Looking forward to reading your book, though, Joe, and the fursuit is awesome!

Saga

absolutely disgusting
Haha, like clockwork.
The truth is that sex sells. Writing "these people like costuming as cartoon characters" doesn't captivate readers as much as "these people have sex in animals costumes". What he did in writing that article was formulate it in such a way that it discounts what you said about the fandom's basis in art and try and emphasize the sex side of it instead. It has that gray tone to it that pretends to be sincere while subtly implying fetishism.
Hell, maybe it's not so bad if it gets books off the shelves.

JoeStrike

WAY older than Mr. Black
Haha, like clockwork.
The truth is that sex sells. Writing "these people like costuming as cartoon characters" doesn't captivate readers as much as "these people have sex in animals costumes". What he did in writing that article was formulate it in such a way that it discounts what you said about the fandom's basis in art and try and emphasize the sex side of it instead. It has that gray tone to it that pretends to be sincere while subtly implying fetishism.
Hell, maybe it's not so bad if it gets books off the shelves.

"subtly"? The goddamn tag at the bottom specifies "fetishes" along with "sex" and oh yeah, "costumes"

JoeStrike

WAY older than Mr. Black
Th
Dr. Gerbasi was amused that the article misidentified her as a Canadian, too.

The article is shit. I've seen worse, but that's not saying much. It's strictly mediocre.

Looking forward to reading your book, though, Joe, and the fursuit is awesome!

Thank you - Artslave deserves all the credit for the suit though - Userpage of ArtSlave -- Fur Affinity [dot] net

Troj

Your Friendly Neighborhood Dino Therapist
It's pathetic how much vanilla mundanes are fascinated by things like having sex in a different outfit.

Telnac

Fundamentalist Heretic
In truth, I think it's probably the most fair article on the subject of the furry fandom yet written in the mainstream media. I've seen much, much, much worse!

connortheskunk

definitely did not look at yiff last night.
In truth, I think it's probably the most fair article on the subject of the furry fandom yet written in the mainstream media. I've seen much, much, much worse!
I agree. Based on the OP I was expecting a lot, LOT worse when reading the article. It turned out to be not that bad--or maybe I just had my expectations too low.

Simo

Professional Watermelon Farmer
Well, didn't seem too bad to me. And after all, it was The New York Post...more or less a gussied up, cheap Tabloid, that thrives on sensationalism. I'd be curious to see what more serious papers had to say: The New York Times, Washington Post, &c.

Open_Mind

I'd be curious to see what more serious papers had to say: The New York Times, Washington Post, etc.
I'd volunteer for an interview in a hot second. I may be new but in my short time I've seen good, caring people who are passionate and highly imaginative (and yes, occationally snarky!) :)

One day I'll go to a con, and probably wear a big furry tail while having a blast with a couple thousand other people. I came into this open minded and am pretty sure I'm hooked at this point, LOL. Maybe the fact that I am, shall we say, a bit of a late bloomer might help the interview steer clear of the sensationalist elements...?

At any rate -- ignore the haters and enjoy the skin you're in (no matter what color fur, scales or feathers you have!)

Fuzzylumkin

The token panda
Ugh I have to be honest... I hate that they have to use the word 'Fetish' and 'kink' in it... I mean.. yea.. it is that.. but its not the main aspect of the fandom and it makes it super hard to explain to normies.. btw.. sent you a PM