• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

"Your account has been hijacked/disabled."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Armaetus

Nazis, Communists and Antifa don't belong on FA
What, did they mention you by name?

Cry more.

Yes, his name is in the table net-cat posted. He deserves the redicule because of his lax password.

Shiakarn

Okay, firstly I admit I haven't read the entire thread, but based on the first 3 pages or so I'm not sure I want to.

Let me introduce FurAffinity to a concept called privacy law.

Privacy law means that when someone makes an account on a site, the contract is not only the terms of use the user agrees to when they make that account, but also the implied contract that the service provider is also responsible for preventing the data from falling into the wrong hands.

Privacy laws are in force in most US States, US federal law, International law, the UK, EU, etc.

The law does not recognise the user's responsibility to change their password, this is merely an informal recommendation.

The law recognises that allowing databases with personal information to fall into the public hands is a breach of privacy laws.

The law recognises that the FurAffinity staff merely posting a link to this database is a breach of privacy law.

The law recognises that FurAffinity is legally liable to anyone who's password was disclosed to the public, and are now liable to people in multiple jurisdictions.

Be glad you're not an actual for-profit business, I assure you, you'd already be in a class-action lawsuit by now.

Toaster

I don't even know why this thread is still open, the issue is being/has been fixed right? good. not get over it.

Aurali

Banned
Banned
Okay, firstly I admit I haven't read the entire thread, but based on the first 3 pages or so I'm not sure I want to.

Privacy law means that when someone makes an account on a site, the contract is not only the terms of use the user agrees to when they make that account, but also the implied contract that the service provider is also responsible for preventing the data from falling into the wrong hands.

Privacy laws are in force in most US States, US federal law, International law, the UK, EU, etc.

The law does not recognise the user's responsibility to change their password, this is merely an informal recommendation.

The law recognises that allowing databases with personal information to fall into the public hands is a breach of privacy laws.

The law recognises that the FurAffinity staff merely posting a link to this database is a breach of privacy law.

The law recognises that FurAffinity is legally liable to anyone who's password was disclosed to the public, and are now liable to people in multiple jurisdictions.

Be glad you're not an actual for-profit business, I assure you, you'd already be in a class-action lawsuit by now.

shut up and go back to yiffstar.. no one disclosed any password on their own.

yak

Site Developer
Administrator

Let me introduce you to the concept of reading.

Niros

The administration should not be taunting users who keep their old passwords when it was the administration who had designed such a retardedly insecure database to begin with. Arn't the admins supposed to know what they are doing?

Oh wait... this is FA.

yak

Site Developer
Administrator
The administration should not be taunting users who keep their old passwords when it was the administration who had designed such a retardedly insecure database to begin with. Arn't the admins supposed to know what they are doing?

Oh wait... this is FA.

The citizens should not be displeased with their government seeing it blowing out billions of tax dollars out of their asses on useless retarded shit when it were the citizens that chose that government in the first place. Isn't the government supposed to represent the needs and the opinion of it's citizens?

Oh wait... this is the United States of America.

Listen buddy, why didn't you blame Adam for the first sin?
Why stop on ancient history? Let's go to prehistoric!

Shiakarn

Surely that's an exercise in futility, I assume he's passed third grade by now. If he didn't learn it then he's not gonna learn it now.

Touche.

Posting the user list of insecure accounts still falls foul of most privacy laws in nearly all Western jurisdictions.

And Yak, pointing out the shortcomings of others isn't a good way to point the finger away from your own.

Niros

We can elect our government. I don't see Dragoneer's position. Or yours Mr Yak, being up for debate.

WarMocK

I like to nuke ^^
And Yak, pointing out the shortcomings of others isn't a good way to point the finger away from your own.
An interesting statement from someone who lives in a country that practically declared encryption illegal (either tell them the password or get busted for 5 years), covered the country with surveillance cameras in the name of "war against terrorism" (and now uses them to go after people who spit out their chewing gum onto the streets), and whose government frequently "loses" usb sticks and CDs cramped with the sensitive data from their citizens. ^^

tsawolf

Well, this thread is going nowhere fast.

Chill out or it'll get locked. Stop being bratty imbeciles, and act your age.

Toaster

the list only shows names, and theses have had their password resetted, so now they must pick a new one. Also dosn't the tos say fa isn't liable for such things?

Last edited:

verix

some dragon

Oh wait... this is FA.

if you really think they're taunting you perhaps you may be projecting just a teeny bit

Xaerun

"toxic and negative"
the list only shows names, and theses have had their password resetted, so now they must pick a new one. Also dosn't the tos say fa isn't liable for such things?
We have a winner.

We can elect our government. I don't see Dragoneer's position. Or yours Mr Yak, being up for debate.
Who needs a position when he has a BIG ASS MOTHERFUCKING BANHAMMER, amirite? XP

Basically, quitcha whining, go somewhere else, Niros.

I do however find it damn near laughable that the FA staff in trying to protect quite a large number of users' privacy/accounts are copping a lot of flak for it. You people need to realise when you're at fault, and when you're being helped. It's ridiculous.

Eevee

Banned
Banned
if you really think they're taunting you perhaps you may be projecting just a teeny bit
eh I think it was a dick move too

especially given that FA has no password policy (it allowed 'yiff' in the first place), violated user trust when it allowed the list to be compromised in the first place, the notice was placed in public in a place where people are not particularly likely to look, and there was no warning so people would have time to perhaps update their emails or just change their passwords on their own

especially considering it immediately followed accidentally admining a miscreant and getting a good chunk of a very popular artist's gallery deleted

"oh, fuck. hey guys look over there at these morons! -->"

I was wary of saying anything publicly but the responses here are getting a bit obnoxious

You people need to realise when you're at fault, and when you're being helped. It's ridiculous.

I'm not included in that list at all, and haven't even been here that long. I'm complaining that they're putting time and resources into helping those people.

If people just plain don't give a damn whether their account is secure - let them. The only problem that can come from this is if a hacker is accidentally made an admin. Users should not be held responsible for such things, nor should they have to pay in any fashion for such mistakes.

As for people who do care, but don't take proper measures... So? There's a damn good chance that these are the same people who have gotten through every other part of their lives by having other people think for them. I'm sick of watching it happen. "Oh, you don't feel like learning to do it yourself? That's okay, we'll do it for you!" It is a horrible waste of time and effort. What have they accomplished to deserve such babying and hand-holding?

yoshi000

I want to ask something. Why did FA didn't told us about this for three years, made this list about the users, going on a "We are doing the best thing for the users" shit? It just seem odd they hide it for this long. I don't get it that FA is actting like kings about something that they did wrong. I think FA team it to put this on, not the users.

I want to ask something. Why did FA didn't told us about this for three years, made this list about the users, going on a "We are doing the best thing for the users" shit? It just seem odd they hide it for this long. I don't get it that FA is actting like kings about something that they did wrong. I think FA team it to put this on, not the users.
No matter what point you're trying make, you could use an itsy bitsy teeny weeny little touch up on your grammar.

Last edited:

Niran

I'm not included in that list at all, and haven't even been here that long. I'm complaining that they're putting time and resources into helping those people.

If people just plain don't give a damn whether their account is secure - let them. The only problem that can come from this is if a hacker is accidentally made an admin. Users should not be held responsible for such things, nor should they have to pay in any fashion for such mistakes.

As for people who do care, but don't take proper measures... So? There's a damn good chance that these are the same people who have gotten through every other part of their lives by having other people think for them. I'm sick of watching it happen. "Oh, you don't feel like learning to do it yourself? That's okay, we'll do it for you!" It is a horrible waste of time and effort. What have they accomplished to deserve such babying and hand-holding?

Sorry my head is going in multiple directions with this so bear with me if my thoughts and personalities seem to contradict each other:

[Optimism/Understanding] Well, the thing is, your argument only takes into account the people who don't care about their security. What about those people who just don't know? I mean, not everyone is computer savvy and has intelligence in this matter. Knowledgeable people in this field who are denouncing this cause need to take this into account.Not everyone who goes online knows how to use it or is particularly knowing of the insecurities present in password systems. To them, these systems are completely secure since the only thing going through their minds is "how is anyone going to figure out my password unless I tell them myself?". Obviously they are completely unaware of the nature and hostility of exploitation. Even if their account was hacked back then doesn't mean that they'll understand; they don't know what a dictionary attack is or brute force attacks or anything of the sort. The only thing they are concerned with is getting online to a website, looking at art, reading stories, listening to music, posting, and then leaving. You don't need an extensive knowledge of coding to be a member of this site, or even this forum; it needs to be understood that there are many other reasons out there than just two causes... then the argument would be subject to be an either/or fallacy. And yes, there are people who don't care about their security, (assuming that they are already knowledgeable about computers) but if you think about it, it's only a minor part of the group. And some others don't seem to "care" because they don't know or they are misinformed about the subject. To make a valid argument, all these reasons must be taken into account or you will suffer heavy opposition from a separate party with neither side listening to the other until a third-party breaks both up (i.e. admin closes the forum thread).

[Note of Some Importance] Also, everyone, take note that this event happened three years ago. Three years is a long time you know, and over this period of one-thousand-nintey-five days (and counting), Fur Affinity has rapidly evolved from this insecure state. The site is not as nearly insecure now as it was back then... though people still don't make it a priority to read before they respond, causing a lot of grievance.

[Pessimism/Futility] Why are you all even complaining about this? Can't you see that it's futile to be arguing with the admins? Especially the coders? Your opinions can bother them, they can snap at you, and you can repeatedly snap at them back, but they don't need to change anything they're doing; demonstrated by the principle: If one refuses to listen, another cannot force him to listen (unless cornered that is). But these people are by no means in a position where they would be cornered by your comments. They have the power to do things, they will use them, no matter what you say or do. They are a higher power than you and are obviously less easily swayed than your peers, of whom you are probably used to talking to. But in the end, it really is your choice: You can keep wasting your energy denouncing them and throwing mental rocks at their Windows*, but know that if you don't have a valid argument and you are not calm and collected (e.g. prone to being a douche), they will not listen and only continue upon their business and wave off all your comments.

[Mockery] It's funny. I really enjoy browsing through this thread to read how people bicker and complain about things and laugh at their inability to make a valid, serious argument (i.e. all their fallacies). I wonder if people even go back to read their own posts to check it, see how they sound... a inquiry that applies to users and admins alike. In reality, I personally don't go into this post for the information they have; I am not a user on the list nor do I know anyone on it... But the drama that is attainable in this environment is priceless, only fueled more by the random, highly-opinionated people who find it fit to stumble upon this thread, not read its full contents, and post a debilitating comment against the administration or to a particular user/group of users... resulting in more near hilarious fighting.

#####

* That was supposed to be a joke, assuming that they run on Windows.

#####

Recommending I change my password via public callout?
Dick move, Fur Affinity and net-cat.
Dick move.

I don't believe anyone thinks any less of you (besides, I wouldn't even have known that you were one of them on the list until you commented in public about how you need to change your password... [you made yourself known by your own complaint]). This thread was made to be purely informal, not to denounce anyone for any sort, although it apparently is happening anyway. Besides, if we were to laugh at everyone or anyone who is on that list, we would be lower than...

I fail at insults, so use your imagination on the end of that last sentence there.

Last edited:
Here's a phrase that covers my thoughts: "Learn or Burn." If these people do care about security, then they should be forced to learn for themselves. Do you tie your own shoes? Do you know how to add 3 and 5 without a calculator? For that matter, do you know how to use a calculator? I bet you do, without aid (giant graphing calculators excluded). Same applies to driving, if you're of that age. You wanted and/or needed it done, so you had to learn to do it yourself. You were taught, and now you do it on your own. This is the year 2009 - there is no excuse for continued ignorance on this subject, period. We can not afford to be understanding. If we do not stop progressively lowering our standards and utilizing a small group of higher-ups (the admins, coders, and machines at their disposal in this case) to take over thought process for the general populace, mankind is going to keep getting even dumber.

You are right. Not everyone is as intelligent as myself. And I'm pretty sure that everyone, especially those who think I'm not very intelligent to begin with, can agree than that needs to change.

CyberLeo

If the site decides to implement password strength enforcement, it would be a very good idea to actually list the ruleset used to check the password strength, so that users don't have to endlessly guess what obscure and esoteric combination might bypass the enchantment, whenever a password is entered; including the account login page.

Many times have I reset my password because I could not remember what limitations a given website required, and thus the password I had conjured to fulfill those requirements.

...One of those costs is an annual renewal from a certificate authority...
What is it with this pervasive assumption that security must be expensive?

Status
Not open for further replies.