• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Ashwolves5

Miss Fluffy Bottom
Don’t lie about your age and do not use others art without permission. I see it may too much, most times it goes hand and hand.
Just let yourself grow into the fandom, don’t rush it this way.

MaelstromEyre

Slippery When Wet
Ask more experienced people for advice when you need it, but don’t feel obligated to follow that advice slavishly if something about it feels off. Trust your gut in that regard - it’s better to miss out on a couple of benign things that felt like they might be sinister, than to tell yourself you’re just being paranoid and possibly get into a bad situation. If someone warns you against something, more research is warranted before disregarding their advice, however.

Furries may be ostracized in a few small communities (think individual gaming forums and similar), but by and large if you don’t treat it like a big deal, people around you won’t, either, unless they have it in for you for other reasons. People finding out that you’re into furry crap won’t generally be the end of the world any more than them finding out you play D&D or collect model trains.

Popularity is 99% just numbers. It doesn’t matter how many followers someone has or whatever; if they’re a dick, they’re a dick. That said, it’s also good to be aware that starting shit with an influential individual comes with a greater risk of abuse than if you have a tiff with someone less well-known. The important point here is that the number of followers someone has doesn’t make them right about any given issue.

Don’t lie about your age and don’t start drama if you run afoul of a site or server’s rules. Learn from the experience and don’t repeat the problem behavior, instead. I know it can be tempting to misrepresent your age in order to get access to content and areas you otherwise wouldn’t, but you open everyone else using that service up to liability, which is seriously Not Cool.

Don’t enter master/pet relationships through fandom, and don’t treat furry art and writing as a substitute for sex ed. There’s both ignorant people and bad actors in the former (which is likely to end up to your detriment either way - I know this from experience), and outright dangerous or impossible acts portrayed in the latter.

Don’t be a dick to other people. Not even if you think they deserve it.

Remember that not everyone will be telling you the truth.

Don’t listen to people who try to tell you that you don’t belong. Furry is not some exclusive club.

I don’t think all animal-formulated products are created equal in that regard, tbh. I’ve used my semilonghair cats’ leave-in conditioner to help untangle really matted/tangled hair in the past, because it can make hair silky/slippery without needing to get it wet. It’s something to be approached with a hefty helping of judgment, however, and I suppose as such not a great idea for everyday use. There’s also some milk bones (IIRC, it’s some kind of dog treat cracker thing anyway - check the ingredients) that are fine for human consumption.

Mane n’ Tail is fine, too.

All of this, yes.

Including the part about Mane n' Tail. Cowboy Magic is also a good one, made for horses' manes and tails but it works nicely on human hair, too.

As far as other advice - don't intentionally start drama. Just because we're all in the fandom doesn't mean we're always going to get along with everyone else, or agree on everything, and there are some in the fandom who thrive on saying and doing things to get people upset. Don't be one of those.

Don't criticize other people's art or fursonas or fursuits. It may not be a style or species you like, but it's their creation.

Don't copy other people's art or fursonas, or use another person's character without permission in art or writing or anything else. Even if you "just found it on Google" that doesn't make it yours to claim. Imitation is not always the sincerest form of flattery - speaking as someone who has had her character copied and used without her permission - it is NOT flattering. It is creepy and invasive.

This is mostly just advice to my younger self but....

Chill out. No one is perfect, no one has to make the fandom "look good", no one really cares about stuff like fandom vs fandom. Just enjoy yourself and if anyone harasses you for it, block them for your own sanity lol. Don't bother engaging with people who just want to cause trouble.

PercyD

Lover of Beasty Baes
Ask more experienced people for advice when you need it, but don’t feel obligated to follow that advice slavishly if something about it feels off. Trust your gut in that regard - it’s better to miss out on a couple of benign things that felt like they might be sinister, than to tell yourself you’re just being paranoid and possibly get into a bad situation. If someone warns you against something, more research is warranted before disregarding their advice, however.

Furries may be ostracized in a few small communities (think individual gaming forums and similar), but by and large if you don’t treat it like a big deal, people around you won’t, either, unless they have it in for you for other reasons. People finding out that you’re into furry crap won’t generally be the end of the world any more than them finding out you play D&D or collect model trains.

Popularity is 99% just numbers. It doesn’t matter how many followers someone has or whatever; if they’re a dick, they’re a dick. That said, it’s also good to be aware that starting shit with an influential individual comes with a greater risk of abuse than if you have a tiff with someone less well-known. The important point here is that the number of followers someone has doesn’t make them right about any given issue.

Don’t lie about your age and don’t start drama if you run afoul of a site or server’s rules. Learn from the experience and don’t repeat the problem behavior, instead. I know it can be tempting to misrepresent your age in order to get access to content and areas you otherwise wouldn’t, but you open everyone else using that service up to liability, which is seriously Not Cool.

Don’t enter master/pet relationships through fandom, and don’t treat furry art and writing as a substitute for sex ed. There’s both ignorant people and bad actors in the former (which is likely to end up to your detriment either way - I know this from experience), and outright dangerous or impossible acts portrayed in the latter.

Don’t be a dick to other people. Not even if you think they deserve it.

Remember that not everyone will be telling you the truth.

Don’t listen to people who try to tell you that you don’t belong. Furry is not some exclusive club.

I don’t think all animal-formulated products are created equal in that regard, tbh. I’ve used my semilonghair cats’ leave-in conditioner to help untangle really matted/tangled hair in the past, because it can make hair silky/slippery without needing to get it wet. It’s something to be approached with a hefty helping of judgment, however, and I suppose as such not a great idea for everyday use. There’s also some milk bones (IIRC, it’s some kind of dog treat cracker thing anyway - check the ingredients) that are fine for human consumption.

My mom was swearing by Mane n' Tail before I knew what a furry was-

D

Deleted member 82554

My fursona is a fox but I'm not out chasing and eating field mice from daylight till dark even though the majority of them are probably far healthier than half the artificial crap that most people buy off the shelf. If you use and consume animal products solely based on your involvement in the fandom that doesn't come across as very healthy behaviour to me.

Lyrule

Warrior of the Sun
Mind the adults you talk to.

If you're underage, they know this and still proceed to talk about NSFW topics with you, run. It is not okay for adults to talk about 18+ topics with minors.

Last edited:

quoting_mungo

My fursona is a fox but I'm not out chasing and eating field mice from daylight till dark even though the majority of them are probably far healthier than half the artificial crap that most people buy off the shelf. If you use and consume animal products solely based on your involvement in the fandom that doesn't come across as very healthy behaviour to me.
Moderation (and judgement) in all things. You and I both know that your field mouse example is outlandish enough to basically be a strawman.

If you find that a specific type of animal-formulated product is safe for human consumption (which raw field mice aren’t - most small rodents will be hella full of parasites), using/occasionally eating it as a gimmick because you’re furry frankly is little different from any other thing you might do just because you’re into $hobby. As in the example I already gave, picking your shampoo brand based on being furry isn’t going to harm you any more than picking it based on some other arbitrary criterion.

The important thing is doing your research.

Minerva_Minx

CDC predicts zombies...
There are no girls on the internet. None. The scouts I sent out last week haven't returned so I just assume it's all a lie, we're in a Matrix simulation, the Fallen are everywhere, and Master Chief/Ellen Ripley/Neo are our only hope.

Credit cards get you in trouble fast as that's what they're designed to do.

When using a plunger, watch out for splashing.

Take a CPR and First Aid course. Little knowledge is awesome.

Don't visit sites of disease outbreaks.

Xitheon

I may be mad but I'm perfectly good at it.
Don't get angry if people criticise your artwork. If they're giving an honest critique, take it with grace and try to improve. If they're just being rude and mean, don't rise to their bait. Ignore the rude haters and do what you want to do.

Minerva_Minx

CDC predicts zombies...
Just because you stayed at a Hoiday Inn Express doesn't mean you're smart.

15 minutes or more may save you 15% and reduce coverage.

Always credit the artist who does work for you. You may become famous and they need exposure. If they become famous, you can always say I told you so or I knew them before they were famous.

MaelstromEyre

Slippery When Wet
Mind the adults you talk to.

If you're underage, they know this and still proceed to talk about NSFW topics with you, run. It is not okay for adults to talk about 18+ topics with minors.
YES, this!

There ARE creepy people out there.

Along the same lines, if you ARE underage, don't LIE about it and say you are older just to get adults to talk to you about NSFW topics.

And if you tell the truth about being a minor, don't try to get adults to talk to you about NSFW topics.

Adults can get in SERIOUS trouble for that kind of thing, no matter how mature you think you are.

S

SLB-Portu24

Be aware that even though you should be yourself in here and not someone who's actively looking to come out as appealing to the general audiences as possible by adopting specific behaviours, interests and/or materials, you might not achieve anything particularly meaningful from a social standpoint unless in fact, you do own a few of those more highly regarded traits. People in this, as well as other large fandoms out there are often moved by self interest so don't be fooled to think someone's your friend just because they were nice to you a couple times, there will be plenty of opportunists around who are simply looking for a roleplaying partner to satisfy their personal kinks, an artist to do regular free commissions for them or something even more fishy and these people won't care in the slightest about your real humanitarian self, only the things providing them with intricate personal gratification, nothing else matters.

If like me, you have no fursona, are not a fan of anime or an avid gamer, don't frequently shitpost amongst other common things to see, then its certainly going to be way harder to have anyone bother with you and if one individual by some lucky strike does, make sure to keep them around under natural precautions when facing complete strangers because they will most likely be very good natured people who truly give meaning to being accepting and open minded, can confidently claim this from personal experience.

Be thoughtful in relation to what you share about yourself as its been mentioned numerous times already, try to stay away from the popularity craving bandwagon as its a pretty emotionally draining endeavour that's not healthy for the mind in the long run and holds little to no interpersonal value, instead look for real potential friendships which can last longer than a few conversations on a random video game, movie, art piece and whatnot and remember that no one is going to share the exact same interests as you do so you should be permeable to learning about realities you're not particularly familiar with, don't be excessively selfish and expected others to constantly feed your ego by having each mutual conversation revolving around you and your likings, I've seen that a lot actually and it turns unsatisfactory rather quickly.

Also be respectful please, don't go about making edgy jokes and acting arrogantly like you own the place towards people who don't know you in the slightest, that's not a pleasing character introduction many people would be eager to witness, understand that not everyone is in a goofing mood most of the time so ponder each of your interventions well according to the presented situation in order to avoid unwanted conflicts, stay polite, there's absolutely nothing to lose from doing that. And finally but also importantly, don't immediately antagonize someone just because they got angry and lashed out for some reason you can't fully comprehend as every person on the planet has bad days, sometimes it won't be any particular individual's fault, and there will be instances in which the pain we hold inside can't be kept surpressed under a combination of unfortunate rapidly overlapping circumstances that eventually lead one to a breaking point, one of those circumstances may be a snide comment or an uncalled for joke, so be sensible and try getting to know someone properly before making derogatory assumptions about them or create theories to why they act in a certain manner. There would be a measly fraction of the drama we see floating upon the virtual cosmos if people weren't so harshly judgemental and didn't firmly elaborated about what they aren't remotely certain about. As much as its said "not to judge a book by its cover", this is still constantly happening today.

VX666

The Foxy Goddess
Avoid Twitter, that great, dark abyss where genuine human contact and meaningful interaction go to die.

Exactly, both twitter and facebook are the worst in my opinion.

They've been basically overrun by creeps and bullies who want to pick a fight or spread libel and drag everyone through the mud not to, mention corrupt staff there always sides with the instigator or criminal

HSkunk

First off, I think it's important for younger people in general to explore their interests and sexual preferences so they can determine who they are and what they're into to be more prepared for adulthood. And by exploring sexual preferences, I mean trying to figure out what sexuality you would fall under or discovering any fetishes you might have. Don't do anything illegal!

Secondly, whether or not Furryism is a sexuality is up for yourself to decide. Although it's true that Furryism isn't technically a sexuality, for a lot of people, they still only find themselves really attracted to non-human characters, so it can also be argued for some people that it is a sexuality. Once again though, that's for you to decide. If you like anthros and want to embrace it, then say your sexuality is Furry if you want.

Lastly, be careful what info you put online about yourself. You can say your age, just don't lie about it, and don't do 18+ things if you're under 18. I also wouldn't recommend putting photos of yourself on sites like Fur Affinity until you're 18, because I know how the internet is, and if you put pictures on there, you'll probably have a line of people wanting to know your relationship status.

I hope this helps!

Last edited:
S

SLB-Portu24

Avoid Twitter, that great, dark abyss where genuine human contact and meaningful interaction go to die.
Indeed but unfortunately though, this tendency has spread well beyond Twitter's borders by now and is slowly becoming the norm for online interactions these days. Virtual social spaces are being cluttered with increasing manifestations of human cynicism and egotistical principles, turning into a twisted playground where the most basic human values are often neglected for the sake of achieving a greater sense of self importance and validation through any means possible.

Social media is anything but legitimately social.

spectrum36

just a sea dragon who's just vibing
My main advice is to not be afraid of being themselves. This community is the most accepting place that I've seen, so if anywhere is safe it's here.

Develop your own art skills rather than trying to pass others off as your own and, to piggyback off of that, art isn't about becoming popular, it's about making something that you want to see.

Bxb777

YES, this!

There ARE creepy people out there.

Along the same lines, if you ARE underage, don't LIE about it and say you are older just to get adults to talk to you about NSFW topics.

And if you tell the truth about being a minor, don't try to get adults to talk to you about NSFW topics.

Adults can get in SERIOUS trouble for that kind of thing, no matter how mature you think you are.

It's only really recently that I started being more comfortable talking to adults. When i was 14-16 I usually tried to stay away from being close to them because i knew being friends around people my age are 1000% better. Also it's much better because people are around your age when your a young teenager are much more relatable than a depressing life as an average adult.

MaelstromEyre

Slippery When Wet
It's only really recently that I started being more comfortable talking to adults. When i was 14-16 I usually tried to stay away from being close to them because i knew being friends around people my age are 1000% better. Also it's much better because people are around your age when your a young teenager are much more relatable than a depressing life as an average adult.

Agreed, As you get older, you will probably find that age matters a bit less, you can have friends of many ages and still have things in common to talk about. But as a kid, especially a younger teen, it's probably best to keep friends within a couple of years of your own age.

There are benefits to having a wide range of friends when you get older. You can learn from each other. Older friends have had experiences you may not have had yet, just in life in general, so they can be a great go-to for help or advice. Younger friends may be more familiar with newer technology, pop culture, etc. Respect the differences. . .don't go down the road of "okay boomer" or "lazy millennials" with your mindset just because of age differences.

S

SLB-Portu24

Personally, I lean more towards older people, mainly those old enough to not have grown up and matured during the age of large scale internet communication and general consumption since this has spawn certain widespread traits on the younger generations which I'm not particularly fond of but in the grand scheme of things, what truly matters the most is making sure you don't get along with the wrong kind of people, whatever age group, nationality, ethnicity or background they might belong to. Who those people may be is entirely down to subjectiveness albeit its very important to get this aspect right since those who you hang out with regularly will inevitably shift your own being to some extent, for better or worse.

In Portugal we have a saying which goes by this: "Diz-me com que andas e eu te direi quem és", meaning "Tell me who you hang around with and I'll tell you who you are" which demonstrates just how much of a mentality shifting influence our human companies can induce on us without even begging a lucid realisation. This is especially prevalent when we're quite young still and increasingly permeable to dangerous ideals and practices due to a lack of valuable life experience and intricate understanding of the world.

TheCynicalViet

1) Make a Kiwifarms.net account
2) Go to the "Animal Control" section
2) Read/discuss the threads talking shit about certain furries (KeroTheWolf, Snakething, I<3Beastiality, for example)
3) Don't do anything that those certain furries did.

Basically, keep your nose clean and don't get yourself into drama and you should be fine.

Artifex670

It's like any community, there are good people and bad people. The 1 bad person tends to give the other 500 people a bad name.

It's NOT like being gay or bi or anything so don't feel the need to come OUT as a Furry :rolleyes:

There are some really nice people on here that put most people in 'Real Life' to shame. So start making friends and talking people ! (I'm still trying my hardest at this one) :(

But with all things on the internet be cautious of nasty people and don't give out sensitive info ;)