• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Your Apps Know Where You Were Last Night, and They’re Not Keeping It Secret

Simo

Professional Watermelon Farmer
I found this a really fascinating read. I'll have to say, I don't use many apps on my phone...and seldom enable the location feature. It is creepy, though, just how much data is being collected about people, and how you are more or less being followed around...the world seems a lot more boxed in, than is did, say 20 years ago: cameras, phones, so much tracking of what one does.

www.nytimes.com: Your Apps Know Where You Were Last Night, and They’re Not Keeping It Secret

Pogo

I pounce i bounce.
I found this a really fascinating read. I'll have to say, I don't use many apps on my phone...and seldom enable the location feature. It is creepy, though, just how much data is being collected about people, and how you are more or less being followed around...the world seems a lot more boxed in, than is did, say 20 years ago: cameras, phones, so much tracking of what one does.

www.nytimes.com: Your Apps Know Where You Were Last Night, and They’re Not Keeping It Secret
I was very paranoid about this very thing. For several years i postponed a ton of online interactivity because i was afraid.
But i kinda got over it.
If they want to they could dig up a ton of dirt but i dont think it'll ruin me.
I have no idea what they'll do with all that data besides send ad's.

Yakamaru

Worshiper of Monster
One of the reasons I am for civil liberty and against a surveillance state and surveillance in general. Be it through the government or through corporations. Extended privacy laws is essential if you don't want to be tracked and/or being spied upon.

If a platform is not meant for selling products you are the product, as Facebook clearly shows.
www.nytimes.com: Facebook Security Breach Exposes Accounts of 50 Million Users

Private information is meant to be private. Not meant to be sold off to third parties.

D

Deleted member 111470

If it even prevents the apps from accessing my location, I almost always keep it turned off on my phone.
On one hand it's convenient to have information to nearby services, but on the other its disgusting said nearby services using my data without my knowledge.

Because of shit like this, I deleted my facebook account 4 months ago and I feel better now.

Why does buisness have to try to interfere with my boring life?

I work part-time at a sports store, hope this doesn’t mean I’ll get a bunch of sports-related ads. I know nothing about the stuff!

Simo

Professional Watermelon Farmer
Why does buisness have to try to interfere with my boring life?

I work part-time at a sports store, hope this doesn’t mean I’ll get a bunch of sports-related ads. I know nothing about the stuff!

Or worse yet, you'll get all these ads for deer hunting gear! :p

AppleButt

Am I the only one that isn’t bothered by this?

They’re probably just using it for ad reasons. Like they give a shit about anything else.

What are they gonna do? Come to my house and kill me? Yeah right. I’m a light sleeper, and I have a gun so good luck.

Jackpot Raccuki

Mind your manors
This isn't new...
They've been doing this for awhile and whiles I admit, google coming up and saying "Yo it's 15:00, you heading home now, bro?" and it shows me a good fast direction home is nice.
Well, I never really looked at it, for some reason when listening to sound cloud my advertisements are german... And I know it's german since I learnt it and I can understand some of it.

I don't mind data being used for the purpose of stuff like "Hey, I found this great place you might like" or "Hey, heres a fast way home!" but selling me shit or to third parties is too far.
Good thing I have adblock on my PC anyway, I prob get all kinds of stuff since they listen through your mic and I've been doing some meme characters for a D20 game...

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
If you guys think that's bad wait to see this

archive.is: Facebook fears more secret documents have been leaked

"Among them were emails showing that Facebook tried to strangle its competitors by cutting off their access to its data, as well as emails in which Facebook employees discussed how to read users' mobile phone logs without prompting a dialogue box asking for their consent."

Facebook has also been trying to deflect criticism of its company by exploiting conspiracy theories about George Soros, and trying to drag its competitors into its own controversies:
www.bbc.co.uk: Facebook accused of dark PR tactics

Slytherin Umbreon

Black Lives Matter
I've been weirdly paranoid about mind readers for a few months now, so I started imaging yiff and hentai to protect myself or shock potential mind readers into reacting to it.

I imagine the same thing could protect us, or at least we're punishing the privacy invaders.

C

CrookedCroc

I've been weirdly paranoid about mind readers for a few months now, so I started imaging yiff and hentai to protect myself or shock potential mind readers into reacting to it.

I imagine the same thing could protect us, or at least we're punishing the privacy invaders.

Somewhere in the US there's a FBI/NSA agent going through someone's e621 browsing history. Truly a fate worse than death

Chaosmasterdelta

Rule Breaker
Just leave your phone at home when you dont want anyone to know where your going. That solves the location promblem.

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
Just leave your phone at home when you dont want anyone to know where your going. That solves the location promblem.

Sometimes you need your phone though.

I guess we just have to delete all the apps we don't use, and check the apps we do use aren't being creepy.

Yakamaru

Worshiper of Monster
Somewhere in the US there's a FBI/NSA agent going through someone's e621 browsing history. Truly a fate worse than death
dt131128.gif

Yakamaru

Worshiper of Monster
"You have nothing to fear if you have nothing to hide" ( ͡ಠ ͜ʖ ͡ಠ)
"OwO, what's this? Your browsing hi-

AAAAH OH MY GOD! MY EYES! THEY BURN!"

C

CrookedCroc

Sadly today's society treats you like someone with leprosy if you don't have a phone or social network. People are happy giving away their rights, freedom and privacy in exchange for some comodities

Pipistrele

Smart batto!
Well, duh. Stick with open-source and take permissions seriously, and you'll be alright.

Lexiand

Werewolf
I honestly was not surprised privacies was dead long time ago edit: WTF I thought I was typing it in correcting

Last edited: