• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Your Best Weapon

RedFoxTwo

Sarcastic Lurker
Why is there so much love for battle rifles like the M14? Battle rifles are shite.

In pretty much every game ever they're only half as good as the worst assault rifle.

Sarcastic Coffeecup

Hand. Cannot. Erase.

Fernin

6150 rpm and spinning.
Why is there so much love for battle rifles like the M14? Battle rifles are shite.

In pretty much every game ever they're only half as good as the worst assault rifle.

Superior range, superior accuracy, often vastly superior damage. Why spray when a single high caliber round to the brain pan is enough. ;) There's a reason our soldiers in real life are stressed the importance of accurate single shots (or bursts, depending on the weapon) over full auto fire.

And as for why in most games, refer to my first sentence. Also if said game has a 'hardcore' ruleset available said rifles are often one hit kills even from long range.

RedFoxTwo

Sarcastic Lurker
Superior range, superior accuracy, often vastly superior damage. Why spray when a single high caliber round to the brain pan is enough. ;) There's a reason our soldiers in real life are stressed the importance of accurate single shots (or bursts, depending on the weapon) over full auto fire.
Ah, but that's exactly why I love assault rifles. They do the job of a battle rifle as accurately, but unlike a battle rifle they have huge magazines and you can use them for suppressive fire when necessary. Pretty much the only advantage of something like the M14 is the higher calibre.

I suppose a good middle ground for ARs and BRs is something like the M16 due to its inability to be fired full-auto, thus forcing idiots to use the AR properly.

Fernin

6150 rpm and spinning.
Ah, but that's exactly why I love assault rifles. They do the job of a battle rifle as accurately, but unlike a battle rifle they have huge magazines and you can use them for suppressive fire when necessary. Pretty much the only advantage of something like the M14 is the higher calibre.

I suppose a good middle ground for ARs and BRs is something like the M16 due to its inability to be fired full-auto, thus forcing idiots to use the AR properly.

The M16 is in no way a middle ground, it fires the same 5.56x45 round almost every other assault rifle in common usage fires. Further more an M16 CAN be fired full auto, depending on the variant, much the same with many other assault rifles. You're also incorrect about the issue of accuracy, the shorter barrel of common assault rifles (and particularly carbines) makes them much LESS accurate than a larger caliber semi auto. Not to mention the lighter bullet itself is more prone to drift and more heavily effected by wind. And as for magazine capacity, any rifle that has a detachable box mag (almost all of them) has available the same 25/30 round mags used by smaller caliber assault rifles. Further more the idea that a semi auto can't suppress an enemy is ludicrous. Men will duck and stay down just the same if the shots coming their way are fired 6 a second or 2-3 a second. In fact trying to suppress with an assault rifle is more likely to get you killed once you empty the small magazine in a couple seconds. Squad level automatic weapons exist to fill that role, NOT assault rifles.

In the context of most video games there is almost no scenario in which a battle rifle should loose to an automatic save under 20 meters where panic fire and spray and pray becomes viable. In real life however the reason so called battle rifles are not in wide usage is because the assault rifle offers a lighter, more compact option that will do the same job and most modern combat occurs under 50 meters. However if you can you should watch some of the footage of soldiers in combat from desert storm or any of the more recent conflicts. There's alot out there in particular of fighting in Iraq showing the inaccuracy assault rifles in engaging distant targets. More than 60% of confirmed kills beyond 200 yards have been attributed to high caliber semi automatic rifles, mostly guns like the M39 or HK417.

Fernin

6150 rpm and spinning.
Fair cop, but it begs the question of why sniper rifles aren't more widely used.

Simple, the ranges combat takes place within has confined them to a niche role. A useful one sure, but when the majority of engagements happen within something like a 50-150 meter envelope they're simply not necessary in most situations. It's also worth nothing that a sniper rifle and battle rifle (most commonly referred to as a designated marksman's rifle) are not the same thing. They often share a platform in the case of semi auto ones, but they are often built to different specifications and employ very different optics. Sniper rifles often use high power fixed zoom scopes while battle rifles are often used with iron sights or mid range gun optics like the Acog or similar. A sniper is essentially an installation where as a squad marksman is a mobile soldier like any other, and while the cliches of the two may overlap, their actual roles do not.

RedFoxTwo

Sarcastic Lurker
Simple, the ranges combat takes place within has confined them to a niche role. A useful one sure, but when the majority of engagements happen within something like a 50-150 meter envelope they're simply not necessary in most situations. It's also worth nothing that a sniper rifle and battle rifle (most commonly referred to as a designated marksman's rifle) are not the same thing. They often share a platform in the case of semi auto ones, but they are often built to different specifications and employ very different optics. Sniper rifles often use high power fixed zoom scopes while battle rifles are often used with iron sights or mid range gun optics like the Acog or similar. A sniper is essentially an installation where as a squad marksman is a mobile soldier like any other, and while the cliches of the two may overlap, their actual roles do not.
Well that all makes sense. I suppose what it comes down to is that I'm a notoriously bad shot, and so prefer to pop a lot of rounds off and see where they hit and adjust accordingly. I also find ironsights and reflex scopes useless beyond about 200m.

Fernin

6150 rpm and spinning.
Well that all makes sense. I suppose what it comes down to is that I'm a notoriously bad shot, and so prefer to pop a lot of rounds off and see where they hit and adjust accordingly. I also find ironsights and reflex scopes useless beyond about 200m.

In real life the average shooter should be able to target out to around 300 meters with irons sights easily, and some competition shooters shoot 1000meters with plain old rifle sights. Red dots are even more flexible and on a good rifle should allow hits up 500 meters and beyond depending on skill and rifle. In videogames however it seems like that with only a couple exceptions ironsights and assorted red dots are more or less useless beyond close range. I's kinda of annoying really. -_-

FubidoKlaws

Laser pistol in Fallout 3 was a pretty good pal of mine.
As was Cubone in any Pokemon game; bonemerang.

Jaxinc

Regret nothing:Deny everything
In real life the average shooter should be able to target out to around 300 meters with irons sights easily, and some competition shooters shoot 1000meters with plain old rifle sights. Red dots are even more flexible and on a good rifle should allow hits up 500 meters and beyond depending on skill and rifle. In videogames however it seems like that with only a couple exceptions ironsights and assorted red dots are more or less useless beyond close range. I's kinda of annoying really. -_-

Sadly the accuracy of weapons in games is always disappointing and annoying... when I can shoot a 2-3" thick piece of WOOD with a sniper rifle and the round doesn't go slap through it into the guy behind... there is something wrong. Always bugs me that I can shoot the thinnest obstruction between the bullet and an enemy ingame... and the 1/8" thick plastic tent will completely absorb a .308, 5.56 or .50bmg... Plus that adding a new scope suddenly increased the range of your rifle! -.-

Lets not even get started on high caliber rounds...

BarlettaX

Neo is OP
This trained shooter can't kill a target past 150m with plain iron sights, and what type of rifle? My standard issue m4a1 wasn't very good at long range.

Fernin

6150 rpm and spinning.
This trained shooter can't kill a target past 150m with plain iron sights, and what type of rifle? My standard issue m4a1 wasn't very good at long range.

I really don't mean any offense, but if you can't hit a target past 150m with iron sights, even with a 14 inch barrel... Then you need ALOT more training. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVrp_aum4lU&feature=player_embedded#!

As for the guns specifically we're talking about? Mostly semi autos firing 7.62x51 Nato or 7.62x54R. Think the M39 or SVD.

Fernin

6150 rpm and spinning.

MrSynndicated

Best weapon of all the games I've played.....That's hard. But for epicness I place my vote on "The Mysterious Magnum" In Fallout: New Vegas, the music when you draw and holster makes it all the sweeter.

kaskae

Dude's a straight-up hustler.
mkartpic5.jpg