• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Your Favorite Guitarists

Demensa

Characterless sack of potatoes
Post your favorite guitarists from every and any genre of music. Tell us why you like them. Do they play in a band or solo project? What makes them awesome? Best album?

To start:
Buckethead
[video=youtube;rBZbIa604y0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBZbIa604y0[/video]

One of the most eclectic players I have ever heard of. This guy has released over 40 albums over his career, not even counting 13 albums he released as a single set (Yes. 13 albums of new material.), or his many albums released as Death Cube K, or in his various side projects. His style range includes ambient, rock, metal, pop, avant garde, noise, funk, jazz, classical and more. At the same time however, you can recognize his playing almost instantly. He uses a pattern/riff based structure in his songs usually, which I don't see very often with solo guitarists. Best Album? I couldn't pick one. The Elephant Man's Alarm Clock, Kaleidoscalp and Giant Robot are good places to start, but there's so much more.

Joe Satriani
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMcjXo8ZuqE

This is a no brainer. Everyone's heard of Joe Satriani. I absolutely love the phrasing he uses, especially in "Always With Me, Always With You". That song is a masterpiece of guitar work. He has a very unique and catchy legato style of playing that I really dig. A lot of my favourite guitar solos are from him. Best Album? I'd say Surfing With the Alien easily. Not a single boring song on there.

I'll get this one over with quickly, since I seem to mention him in nearly every music thread I post in:
Tosin Abasi
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihqT1aA4Q88

This guy is a genius. Lead guitarist and writer in Animals as Leaders, T.R.A.M. and used to be in some other metalcore band whose name escapes me. He's really in a league of his own when it comes to the types of chord progressions, time signatures, jazz influenced style he uses as well as his amazing technical skill. Best album? I don't think he's ever written a song I didn't love. Animals As Leaders, Weightless as well as Lingua Franca are amazing.

I'd love to hear who you guys like. Once I get some of the big names out of the way, I'll go into lesser known guitarists...

S

Saylor

I would have to say that my favorite guitarists are as follows:
Kirk Hammet from Metallica
Doyle Wolfgang von Frankenstein from the Misfits
Johnny Ramone from the Ramones
Angus Young from AC/DC
Dimebag Darrel from Pantera
and
Kurt Cobain ​from Nirvana
EDIT- here are a few more names that I forgot to mention:
Tony Iommi from Black Sabbath
Dave Mustaine from Megadeth
Dave Murray from Iron Maiden
and
Randy Rhodes from Ozzy Osbourne
Mike Ness from Social Distortion
Buzz Osbourne from The Melvins

Last edited by a moderator:

Conker

Destroyer of Nazi Teddy Bears
Sully Erna from Godsmack. He's great, but he also wins in that he's the only guitarist I can name off the top of my head :p

Plantar

Soaked In Sin
Uli Jon Roth. He's like. VERY influenced by Jimi Hendrix. And he was so nice when I met him.

Dimebag, Randy Rhoads, Eddie Van Halen, Mike Mushok, Jerry Cantrell, Kirk Hammett, Kurt Cobain, Jimi Hendrix, John Mayer, Slash, Eric Clapton, Newton Faulkner, Pete Townshend, George Harrison, and Brian May. Not in any particular order.

I can't think of any really good female guitarists, though...

Kit H. Ruppell

Exterminieren! Exterminieren!
Steve Vai and Joe Satriani.

Demensa

Steve Vai

Vai is someone who I know I should be listening to with a passion, but I haven't really given him much of a chance yet. Any favorite songs/albums that you would recommend?

Continuing on...
Jakub Zytecki

[video=youtube;vCiCQm9qXW0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCiCQm9qXW0[/video]

Lead guitarist of Disperse and also does solo work. He has amazing technical skill and plays a really neat progressive metal style. His guitar solos are ridiculously good.

Tymon Kruidenier
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qT4aCOwcP14&feature=related
He used to be the lead guitarist of Cynic, around when they were doing Traced In Air. Now he plays in a metal/jazz fusion band called Exivious. He's just so damn creative, which is why I love his guitar work.

Django Reinhardt
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpmOTGungnA

He's one of the greatest figures in jazz guitar, popularizing "gypsy jazz", which is one of my favourite genres of music. His left hand was badly burned in a fire, leaving only two working fingers to do all of the fretwork. But still, he managed to play at an incredible technical skill level.

Aden

Play from your ****ing HEART
Tosin, yeah. Getting an 8-string guitar made for me primarily because of that man

I also look up to
Ron Jarzombek
Greg Massi (maudlin of the well)
Guthrie Govan
Chris Arp (psyopus)
Paul Masvidal / Tymon Kruidenier
Paul Waggoner (btbam)
Michael Keene (the faceless)
Fredrik Thordendal
and many, many others. But you get the gist

Last edited:
I guess based on pure mastery of guitar, which isn't something that really interests me that much, I would say Tommy Emmanuel for his passion and innovation.

Demensa

Tosin, yeah. Getting an 8-string guitar made for me primarily because of that man

I also look up to
Ron Jarzombek
Greg Massi (maudlin of the well)
Guthrie Govan
Chris Arp (psyopus)
Paul Masvidal / Tymon Kruidenier
Paul Waggoner (btbam)
Michael Keene (the faceless)
Fredrik Thordendal
and many, many others. But you get the gist

C-C-C-CUSTOM 8 STRING?! I am so jealous...

I haven't hear of Greg Massi, Guthrie Govan or Chris Arp, so I'm going to go check them out. Also, I'm going to try and get Psyopus' "Ideas of Reference" tonight to listen to.

Also, have you listened to Carbon Based Anatomy By Cynic? If you have, do you like the direction they have been going recently?

Anyways, keep the guitarists coming! I see a lot of good classic rock and metal names in there. I'm a pretty big fan of guys like Kirk Hammett and Dimebag Darrel as well.

Aden

Play from your ****ing HEART
C-C-C-CUSTOM 8 STRING?! I am so jealous...

Just semi-custom; also, don't be jealous of my irresponsibility with my money :v

I haven't hear of Greg Massi, Guthrie Govan or Chris Arp, so I'm going to go check them out. Also, I'm going to try and get Psyopus' "Ideas of Reference" tonight to listen to.

Ideas of Reference is my favorite Psyopus album c:

Also, have you listened to Carbon Based Anatomy By Cynic? If you have, do you like the direction they have been going recently?

Somewhat of a Masvidal/Tymon fanboy, so yeah, definitely heard. I liked Carbon Based Anatomy a good amount (title track and Box Up My Bones are hng), but I also wish they'd go back and incorporate more of the (relative) rawness that made Focus so good. But at least it's different. Good to see bands moving forward, even if I can't let go of nostalgia.

Namba

Stephen Carpenter, Tom Morello, Kurt Cobain, Brent Hinds, Daron Malakian, Billie Joe Armstrong (shut up!), Jake Snider, Dave Knudson, Jimi Hendrix, Matthew McGhee, Brian "Head" Welch, John LaRussa, James Iha, Billy Corgan, Adam Jones, and of course, Buckethead.

Percy

o-o
Hendrix, Van Halen, Tom Morello (the way he uses effects always gets to me), Pete Townsend, Dan Auerbach of The Black Keys, and Alex Lifeson of Rush.
There are quite a few more guitarists that I like, but I don't want to list them all.

Kit H. Ruppell

Exterminieren! Exterminieren!
I forgot Steve Hillage.

aqxsl

Brain Emo
probably these guys

Keiji Haino
Zoot Horn Rollo (from Captain Beefheart's Magic Band)
Fred Frith
Robert Fripp
and Frank Zappa

oh and Steve Howe

ah fuck, Steve Hackett too

Last edited:
S

Saylor

Does anybody know who that one Dead Kennedys guitarist was? He was incredible and would also be one of my favorite guitarists if I could remember his name. He was the best guitarist that they had before Jello Biafra left. Does anybody know who I am talking about?

B

Bulveye

John 5! Former guitarist in Marilyn Manson and currently in Rob Zombie. He has a bunch of solo albums that range from rock to country.
Also if you're looking for more female guitarists and like Halestorm, I would recommend The Pretty Reckless. Sure they're not doing anything revolutionary, but they're still awesome!

Demensa

Ah yes! So many names I haven't heard of before! All have been added to my list. The infinite, never ending list...

Ideas of Reference was awesome as well.
Demented and insane.
But great. XD

For all of you Animals as Leaders fans:
Javier Reyes, another of my favorite guitarists will be releasing a solo EP soon. Exciting stuff!

[video=youtube;DLRVDScCnp0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLRVDScCnp0[/video]

Namba

Does anybody know who that one Dead Kennedys guitarist was? He was incredible and would also be one of my favorite guitarists if I could remember his name. He was the best guitarist that they had before Jello Biafra left. Does anybody know who I am talking about?
Aw, man! East Bay Ray! Yeah, that guy was pretty damn good.