• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Your idols in music

kamunt

Justin Bieber Apologist
I'm a singer and musician, so I get to have lots of idols here! 83

First off, Producers, as in people who make music, with examples:
- Kanye West
- DJ Shadow
- Venetian Snares (Warning: abrasive to the eyes and ears)
- Kaskade (he doesn't use his own vocals in his music, I think)
- Hive (as opposed to The Hives)

Next is Vocalists, which I hope is self-explanatory:
- Kanye West (already linked to the last list)
- Matthew Bellamy (of Muse)
- Kyo (of Dir en Grey) (Warning: shocking, death-ish metal, Japanese)
- Sarah McLachlan
- Dinand Woesthoff (of Dutch band Kane)

And lastly, Composers, 'cause I'm queer like that:
- Eric Whitacre. Let me just stop and talk about how incredible this man is. Or I can let you listen and see for yourself. :wink:
- Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart. Pretty obvious one.
- Whoever that guy was who composed the song "Do Not Go Gentle Into that Good Night," inspired by the poem of the same name. Had to play that in band my senior year of H.S., holy carp was it insane. The song didn't have a key, for one thing. As in, atonal.

Thank you all for listening. |3 I'm just guessing on some of these URLs since me and my roommate are presently having a musical dick-waving contest with our stereos.

T.Y.

Angus Young-Guitarist AC/DC
Brian Johnson-Vocals AC/DC
Malcolm Young-Guitarist AC/DC
Bon Scott (R.I.P 1980)-Singer AC/DC
Chris Slade (Drummer 1988-1994) AC/DC

Keth Richards,
Manic1075
Little richard
Chuck barry

all my musicial idols. I will soon have Brian's Autograph!

Grimfang

Steven Paul Smith.. I love his vocals as well as his guitar. He definitely influences my /aspirations/ as a musician, as well as any lyrics I write.

Ian Metzger with Dear and the Headlights. He's so awesome and sexy.

Matthew Bellamy is fucking amazing.

And pertty much:
I guess you could call Daron Malakian one of my main idols, at least when it gets to guitar playing.
Sure, technically he isn't special, but he wrote a lot of stuff that is fun (and mostly not too hard) to play.

And there is Serj Tankian, with his political lyrics, a broad variety of instruments and his poetry.

Did I mention, that I like System of a Down? :V

(-guitar, cus I don't play)

mammagamma

WOBBLEWOBBLEWOBBLE
Guitar-wise: Dave Mustaine (Megadeth), Michael Romeo (Symphony X), Steve Vai (then again, Steve Vai part is really recent, so he might not be that much of an influence on me yet) and 'nother ex-megadeth guitarist: Chris Poland

Drum-wise: Jason Rullo of Symphony X, Dave Lombardo of Slayer

Vocally: Phil Anselmo (Pantera... but more during their Vulgar and Cowboys albums), Russell Allen (symphony X... again >_>) as for clean vocals, Lenny Zakatek and Eric Woolfson (Alan Parsons Project)

yell0w_f0x

~Foxy loves oreo~
ive got a lot but these three are pretty much on the top..

miri ben-ari, nuttin' but stringz, black violins.. followed by a number of hiphop/rnb artists and producers.. X3

I

Ishnuvalok

Dimebag Darrel (RIP) influences me most, and is the reason I keep on going. I want to get better than him (doubt I will though X3).

Dave Mustaine, influences me a lot as well, especially with soloing, for now atleast.

Danny Gill. This guy is my guitar teacher, he's taught by the great Joe Satriani, and he's an excellent teacher.

Marty Friedman: Influences me through his use of harmonic minor scales, an other "exotic" scales that I've recently come to love.

Joe Satriani, I can't not be influenced by him if I'm influenced by Danny. Love his stuff.

Been getting some influence from Kerry King as well, but not as a soloist X3 god no....more for riffs etc.

Torrijos-sama

The Artist Formerly Known as Jesusfish
Morrissey, Bjork, Thom Yorke, Isaac Brock, Richard D. James, the Sandison Brothers(BoC), Harold Budd, and Brian Eno. Frank Zappa is also on the list, because he is full of win, along with John Cage. TISM is also an idol for me... The whole band... simply for the organized trolling of most of life they have managed to pull off...

IWP

*insert something witty here*
Bret Micheals
Tony Kakko (singer from Sonata Arctica)
Rob Halford
KK Dowing (guitarist from Judas Priest)
Glenn Tipton (guitarist from Judas Priest)
Bobby "Blitz" Ellsworth (singer from Overkill, still has an amazing voice)
Jon Bon Jovi
Ville Valo

xiath

Rocket to your face.
Hmm... As an actual influence I would say Tristan Clarridge because he is an amazing fiddle player.

But my favorite musician is Mike Portnoy the drummer of Dream Theater. I have wanted to learn the drums ever since I was very young, and I may buy an electric set this year.

Vore Writer

Dog faced God
Motley Crue got me into music, and Cliff Burton is the one that got me to pick up the bass guitar.

Takun

Wof Wof Wof Wof Wof
Going to throw in Black Francis because I forgot how much that crazy bastard influences me.

enzoakavpn

Smoogo Addict
My favourite musician? Jean Michel Jarre. :)
I simply love electronic music, and his music is really awesome. They help me to relax... Especially when I need to draw one of my furries :)

Ooxman

Frisky Dingo
Most of mine have been mentioned (WEEN, Buckethead, Thom Yorke, Tom Waits, Les Claypool, Venetian Snares...).

I would say at the moment, my main influences are Richard D. James (mostly in AFX and Tuss form) and The Knife. Fucking love The Knife.

Defender

the obvious identity
hey guy my favorite guiter play is guy who play a really fast string like Ingway Melmstaion becase more notes + more fasts = beter music it is smiple math i lenred it in algebra i

Kit H. Ruppell

Exterminieren! Exterminieren!
First of all, Neil Peart is AWESOME! I saw Rush in concert (Vapor Trails tour) and his drum solo was mind-boggling! I don't personally have an "idol", but I do respect one musician in particular: Pandit Ravi Shankar. He's either dead or 80-something now, but he is the sitar player who (through collaborations with George Harrison and violinist Yehudi Menuhin) introduced Indian music to a wider audience in the West. He's a freakin' genius with his instrument, as well as a composer of film soundtracks, former director of All-India Radio, and avid philanthropist. This guy is cool!

Ak-Nolij

Pete Rock (production)
J Dilla (production)
Madlib (production)
Black Milk (not the band, sorry) (production/lyrics)
James Brown (the god father)
old Kanye West (production)
Keith Murray (lyrics)
M.O.P. (production/lyrics)
9th Wonder (production)
DJ Premier (production)
Method Man (lyrics)
Redman (lyrics)

And that's about it.
-Nolij

CAThulu

In FAF CAThulu lies dreaming..
Trent Reznor (Nine Inch Nails - 'nuff said)
Adam Jones (Tool - Guitarist, visual artist)
Maynard James Keenan (Tool, Puscifer, A Perfect Circle -vocalist, a very busy guy)
Brian Eno (musician, producer)
Jeff Martin (The Tea Party - vocals, guitar, sitar, banjo, synthesizer, piano...Canadian)
John Mayer (vocalist, guitarist, songwriter)

J

Jelly

And lastly, Composers, 'cause I'm queer like that:
- Eric Whitacre. Let me just stop and talk about how incredible this man is. Or I can let you listen and see for yourself. :wink:

Whitacre = audiophonic horsebullcrap. I really hate him. Music for blind proletarians buying furniture and making dinner.

I don't know.
Like, Merzbow, because he's a vegan and so am I! :>
Plus, he, like, doesn't know how to fucking stop. The only thing Merzbow can do is an music. I can't imagine him eating. He's probably a vegan because he lets tumbleweeds roll into his mouth while he plays with his pretentiousMacJap.

No, I don't know. I hate music. Probably my friend Matt. Because he picks up instruments, joins musical groups, and despite far surpassing others in technical ability he simply doesn't care, and puts the instruments away forever, only to pick up something else. It's an experiment to him and I appreciate that much more than people who believe it is their job to make a statement or change the world with a sound. Or something. Yeah.

Last edited by a moderator: