• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Your opinion on closed species/species community?

Corrupt-Canine

I know this whole "species" thing is big on DeviantART, but some appeared here on FA.
If you don't know what a closed species/species in general, it's where a person creates a creature and adds traits to them, and BAM, you get a species. A lot of them are based on dogs, like 2/3rds of them. What are some species? To list a few, Sushidogs, Cinnadogs, soulfoxes, foxfans, Nekois (cats looking looking like Vaporeons), and Waterdogs are all species. But what's a closed species (CS)? A CS is when you have to buy the creature to own one, and you're not allowed to make your own. They mostly look like sparkle-dogs and have food based themes. To get one, you have to go to a bid, and they can range over $400 just to get one.

So now you were given a semi-brief summary of it, what's your opinion on species?

Sergei Nóhomo

Spicey Memes
Banned
"Buy"

CLAMLHvUAAApf6T.jpg

And if that's not enough to communicate clearly then please, take these

faces.jpg

I've also never heard of a single one of those things

Last edited:

Rigby

Diaperfurs 4 Lyfe
I'm gonna go bake me up some bootleg Sushidogs and a Mayonnaise Moose or two to sell on the deep webz. Who's stopping me, huh??

Sounds as reasonable as giving money to televangelists or toll jockeys.

Corrupt-Canine

I'm gonna go bake me up some bootleg Sushidogs and a Mayonnaise Moose or two to sell on the deep webz. Who's stopping me, huh??

Sounds as reasonable as giving money to televangelists or toll jockeys.
That's a good and understandable way to put it. Better go sell it next to the drugs, guns, and counterfeits.

Yakamaru

Mr. Villanous charm
Can't cure stupid. Only laugh at it whenever it crosses your path. Which is every day.

Corrupt-Canine

Priceless
That's not even the beginning. Some will even say "This is illegal! I/The creators live off the money sold from these $80+ species that get bought every day, I/they could become poor and starve because of these offbrands."
Most of these species don't even have any copyright seal or legal documents, so no, they can't sue. The court will just laugh it off, no court will ever take such a case seriously. And people buy offbrands all the time, they never thought of starving those companies. Hypocrites.

Corrupt-Canine

Or when the original seller sells the exact same character again, but as a recolor.
Oh, this. If CS owners hate anything more, it's when somebody redesign it, let alone as a recolor. On top of reselling it, more than the original especially. They make people pay to redesign them. Do both to give them a heart attack.

Corrupt-Canine

Wait, so are they like 'adoptables' except they can be sold over and over?
Yes. Except it's an entire group of them like toys on a shelf. Imagine you got a toy but there were arbitrary rules that you could and couldn't do with the toy.

FlannelFox

dem leggies
arbitrary rules that you could and couldn't do with the toy.
Oh boy, I'd sure pay extra for that!
Never understood adoptables, understanding this even less...
You can create absolutely anything you want and have any of the bazillion artists out there draw it up for you and then 'do' whatever you like with it. Why the frick do you pay a premium for a premade picture of a creature? And how do they enforce what you do and don't do with that design you paid $200 for! ?
Not being able to draw is one thing, but how bad does your brain have to atrophy to buy into that?
Grant you though, I'm jealous of the artists...

Corrupt-Canine

People will pay for them because a lot of them have that "cutesy, colorful, bright, buy-me" sort of vibe. The way they "enforce" them, get this:
• Revoke your purchased creature without any refund then resell to someone else (which is actually illegal BTW.)
• Blacklist you so everyone doesn't do business with you.
• Tell other groups about your blacklist and damage your reputation.