• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Your opinion on Therians/Otherkin

Zehlua

Magepunk Fashionisto
I think there's something amiss with therians and otherkin. The ones I've met are usually kids who haven't been smacked by reality yet or are role-playing and experimenting with blurring reality and fiction, or they're delusional adults with mental disorders and/or difficulty coping with loneliness. I have yet to meet a therian or otherkin who was pleasant, sane, and socially competent. My interactions with them have been bizarre and uncomfortable 9 times out of 10.

Zehlua

Magepunk Fashionisto
If that's what you believe then sure. I however believe spiritually I'm a dragon and it's very dear to me. I believe I'm here kinda like how an angel takes on a form of a human. And dragons pop up everywhere in the world almost as common as angels and demons. Believe me it isn't for attention.
I actually believe you, because this is the *first ever time* you've said anything about being an otherkin. You might be the only decent one I've ever met in my life.
I also 100% believe in dragons, like... you can't tell me people didn't AT LEAST get high and see a massive crocodile one time and think it breathed fire. AT LEAST. At most, I'm totally willing to believe in huge lizards who could spit combustible material and fly. It just doesn't seem that far fetched to me. I mean, we have the platypus.

Zehlua

Magepunk Fashionisto
Still. People just as easily call you delusional for not being binary.
Very true. I get called deluded every day for being enby. But like... I don't give a fuck. I'm a human being who doesn't act like a traditional man or woman. That's all it is to me... I tell people that my pronouns are for their benefit. It's to help people adjust their expectations of me..
If they're expecting a woman, with a Coach bag and lipstick and a little black dress, who talks in a certain accent or tone of voice, then that's not me. At all.
If they're expecting a big brawny man in conservative men's clothing who likes sports and cars, that's also not me. At all.
I tell people I'm nonbinary because it helps prepare them mentally for who I really am. I want them to not be shocked or upset when they expect a lady who acts like a lady, or expect a man who's a man's man, and instead my androgynous little ass shows up in a captain's tail coat and a witch hat talking about biology and the history of disco.
I call myself nonbinary because I do not want to be held to standards and expectations of manliness or femininity that are not comfortable for me to stretch for. I just hate how demanding cis gender culture is. I prefer to be myself, be comfortable, and mind my own business.
I don't police other people's genders. I don't say someone isn't being ladylike or someone needs to "man up." I demand that level of respect be given back to me.

Zehlua

Magepunk Fashionisto
I guess I can sort of see where your coming from on the whole Hypocrisy thing if I put myself in your shoes and claim I'm a deer for a second, but the thing about Gender, Expression, and Otherkin is that the first two things are way more complicated, have had scientific research and evidence done on them to back up the people who claim they are that way, and has existed since forever.

People who say they are Otherkin have absolutely no evidence to back up their feelings other than just "I feel like I am a wolf" which sure as hell is not enough to actually prove that you are a wolf. Your identity is not valid because it isn't even something you can identify as. Someone can choose to identify as male or female, because those things are real. Someone can choose to identify as a lesbian or as a bisexual person, because Sexuality is something that we know exists in the human brain, we have already done countless studies and experiments on why people wanna have sex in the first place.

And even if we did do studies on this Otherkin thing, I seriously doubt the results would come back positive and scientists would reveal that dragons and mermaids have existed since forever and have always been real, and that's why Otherkin exist. First of all, for me to even begin to accept you as a dragon, I have to first believe that Dragons are real. Otherkin think people are just hating on them for not accepting their identity right off the bat because its weird, but there's a shit ton of layers to someone saying "I am a cat" or "I am a mermaid".

You tell that to someone and then get mad at them when they don't immediately accept it, without thinking about the actual implications of you being a dragon or a mermaid.
Wait, I'm really interested to know how they proved that male and female are real. You mean real as far as roles and societal constructs? I'm nonbinary and I have questions. This is actually really thought-provoking for me right now.

Zehlua

Magepunk Fashionisto
you aren't a dragon Mentally, Physically, or Spiritually. You are a human being.
Whoa, whoa, whoa. Spirituality is a whole different ballgame. Spiritually, you can do whatever, because it's mostly a nebulous, dreamlike mental scenario. Like... you could be praying about how much you want a pet scorpion, and I'd never know that, because I can't read your mind. You could be having nightmares about fish eating your toenails. Whatever goofy shit. Spirituality can be anything. It's the realm of ideas and creativity.
Which is why it's weird to me that you're gonna die on this hill as well. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's like someone says they believe in angels, and you go, "No you don't!" Like??? You can't tell someone else what they do and do not believe, in private, in their own mind.
You can prove that Ov is not physically a dragon, you can prove that it's delusional to believe one is a dragon, but you can't prove that someone isn't a dragon in their dreams and ideas. That's where I'm lost. Do you have a different interpretation of spirituality that I haven't heard of?

Zehlua

Magepunk Fashionisto
If you willing to read, he literally calling us crazy and in need of help. I mean... do i need to describe how this is an attack against a person?
Or it's a concerned and alarmed party asking folks to seek therapy. How is therapy an attack? I see a therapist, and she's nice!

Zehlua

Magepunk Fashionisto
I'm not hurt. I just realized that you're the kind of person, who in a face to face conversation would start to rise their voice, or even turn physical. So it barely worth the words.

They helped my depression aggression issues and most of my anxiety problems. So i think i stay. Not to mention that they are covered by free healthcare. :p
That's a hell of an accusation!

For the record: I personally don't thrown hands unless I think the other person is out to do serious harm.

Zehlua

Magepunk Fashionisto
I can say trans people have severed my relationship with them in various ways, hurting me in a sense, in the end, adding to the stereotype, but I don't particularly think I have had any issues with otherkin, unless they were trans on top of that, and were keeping the otherkin part a secret. But, maybe Ovi and Thistle are both right about each other though, which led to this very discussion about beliefs that may not be true, and ended up hurting each other as a result of their "disorders", if I may call them that?
If you want to meet some nice trans folks, talk to me and I'll put you in touch. Two of my best friends are trans. One is a gentle soul who helps run a petting zoo and educational D&D campaigns for local children, and the other has been my twin brother from another mother since we were six years old.

Zehlua

Magepunk Fashionisto
I don't really believe therians and otherkin(and I don't really understand non binary people either),but I've realised there isn't much point in arguing about it.It won't change anything,and starting arguments will just make stuff worse.
We just have to agree to disagree,I guess.
Would you like to understand nonbinary people a little bit better?

Zehlua

Magepunk Fashionisto
Can you give an example of people hurting themselves with that belief? I can think of only like one example and I can't tell if it's just a shitpost or not.
Well, there's always going to be the example of kids I grew up with. One kid went a little too far with his everyday dinosaur roleplay and bit another child, resulting in a reactionary smack to the face that made both parties cry. It's silly when you're a little kid, but when you grow up, and you haven't let go of the idea that you're really a dinosaur stuck in a human vessel, then it starts to become worrisome. It's not cute any more when Jimmy is refusing to wear clothes and is roaring at other students and biting people and refusing to use real words and bashes doors in at school to escape classes and go on T-Rex rampages.

My mother has multiple personality disorder, manic depression, schizophrenia, and a few other issues. She doesn't believe she's an animal, but sometimes she believes she's an angel. It's really scary when she's off her meds and slides into this heavenly host mindset, because she truly believes she's invincible. We have had to chase her across streets and fields and briars, which she for some reason skipped merrily around in buckass nekkid. We have also had to pick her up from various houses in the neighborhood, because she gets a sheet and lays in the lawns of strangers "waiting for God to take [her]" like a body at the morgue.
She also has voices in her head, and I guess they sometimes berate her or tell her jokes, because sometimes she'll look really sad or answer a question no one asked, and she'll chuckle when no one said or did anything funny. But I digress.

Zehlua

Magepunk Fashionisto
I think the real problems are factkin that identify as another real human being. Like someone could claim to be Adele and tell everyone that's who they are. Basically they impersonate someone.
My mom used to believe she was Madonna! She would rent limousines and go downtown dressed as her (this was in the 80s) and some people actually believed my mom was Madonna, or a STELLAR impersonator, because I guess my mom was that spot-on. But it wasn't an act... she was having a mental breakdown.

Liseran Thistle

They/Them
Wait, I'm really interested to know how they proved that male and female are real. You mean real as far as roles and societal constructs? I'm nonbinary and I have questions. This is actually really thought-provoking for me right now.

Well, this was written a long time ago IDK why people are still replying to this thread, but anyway, in recent years scientists agree that there really is no such thing as "biologically" female or male. People aren't and never will be 100% of one or the other because that's just not how chromosomes work. You can be more female than you are male, be more male than you are female, have an equal amount of both attributes, the list goes on and on. People tend to think there's only one or the other because of the parts that dangle between everyone's legs, but the truth is that gender just doesn't work that way. We are all a hodgepodge of chromosomes and hormones just trying to make it through life.

I remember when I first came across this thread I was absolutely offended that someone would want to try to equate Otherkin with gender expression just because they "feel" like they're an animal (or even a fictional character in some cases) because many Agender people like myself have to constantly deal with people saying my identity isn't real or that I can't just not be a man or a woman, I have to be either-or. And having Otherkin try to use the language I use to explain a very real issue with my gender so they can use it to explain why they're really a 1000-year-old dragon god, or why they're actually Zuko from Avatar, is insulting and does nothing but make setbacks for the progress Nonbinary people have been doing for years.

We're at a point in time where other people are putting their pronouns in their bio to make others feel comfortable with their gender identity, and we certainly didn't get to that point with the Otherkin/Therian community. You can roleplay and pretend to be an animal on the internet all you want, but the minute you try to appropriate the language of actual pressed people for your own weird hyper fixation is when it becomes problematic. And that's what this Otherkin thing really is, a hyper fixation. There's nothing wrong with that, I hyper fixate on things as well, but I certainly never let it get to a point where I try to wiggle my way into a community I don't actually belong in.

Liseran Thistle

They/Them
And one other thing, while it's true people in the trans community and the Nonbinary community have used phrases like "I just feel like-" to explain why they want to transition or why they don't identify as something or nothing, most people in the community don't use phrasing like that anymore simply because there is more research to explain their identity to other people. Gender Dysphoria is real and is something most of these people experience. And they have gotten better at using and explaining this dysphoria better to other people. The only reason they even used those phrases in the first place was to appeal to cis-gendered people who they knew wouldn't accept them if they just told them "I am__ and you have to get used to it." because we hadn't reached that point yet where a person could claim what their pronouns were and a large number of people would respect them. Trying to use this whole defense of "Well the Trans/Nonbinary community used language like this before to explain their identity in the past so why can't I?" is yet just another example of how Otherkin and Therians use dated and old terminology from this community and draw setbacks for this community.

You can be an Otherkin, again, but the moment you decide you want to try and "explain" away your Otherkin-ness as anything other than a Hyperfixation or coping mechanism, that is the moment you cause issues. The moment you try to claim your Otherkin-ness as your identity, is the moment everyone who made those "Attack helicopter" jokes wins, and I'm just not about to let that happen, that's for certain.

ConorHyena

nazi hunter
My mom used to believe she was Madonna! She would rent limousines and go downtown dressed as her (this was in the 80s) and some people actually believed my mom was Madonna, or a STELLAR impersonator, because I guess my mom was that spot-on. But it wasn't an act... she was having a mental breakdown.

There's also the three christs of ypsilanti experiment, which kinda debunks the fact that one can 'snap' people who have a medical condition like that out of it by confronting them ruthlessly wiht reality.

Mambi

Fun loving kitty cat
I think there's something amiss with therians and otherkin. The ones I've met are usually kids who haven't been smacked by reality yet or are role-playing and experimenting with blurring reality and fiction, or they're delusional adults with mental disorders and/or difficulty coping with loneliness. I have yet to meet a therian or otherkin who was pleasant, sane, and socially competent. My interactions with them have been bizarre and uncomfortable 9 times out of 10.

I have 2 kids, I've lives several decades, I am very happy with my life, and I know exactly what I am inside and out, thank you very much! <smiles and sticks toungue out at you while waving his claws> I won't claim to be sane, but this cat is far from what you describe as typical for a "other-than-human" soul. If you go in expecting something bizzare and uncomfortable, odds are you'll get it simply because by definition, they are bizzare to you and odds are make you uncomfortable. That's just self-fuffiling prophecy! <giggle>

Glossolalia

just happy to be here
The whole therian/otherkin thing has always struck me as being in a similar vein to religion in general. Some people use it as a tool to better understand their world and live their lives in a way that feels meaningful to them, while still acknowledging that their view of reality is at best paradoxical. And then there are people who believe they literally hear God's voice speaking directly to them, telling them to do hateful things. I think that depending on someone's mental health and degree of self-awareness, it can be a useful thing or a bad thing.

Night.Claw

Or it's a concerned and alarmed party asking folks to seek therapy. How is therapy an attack? I see a therapist, and she's nice!
That's a hell of an accusation!

For the record: I personally don't thrown hands unless I think the other person is out to do serious harm.
I have no interest in getting back into this chat, since it was a wasted cause by the beginning and also, i have no idea why was i pinged when it happened almost a year ago.
But this is the first time i see you here, so i might as well take a bit of time and answer.

So after this message, i should just poof for another few months as usually. These conversations doesn't worth the time anymore, since they are almost always pointles back and forth chatfights with 0 to no outcome towards any understanding over the other persons side.

But seems like you took things as i was saying that to you, while it was pointed at and told to someone, who was just simply being a bum.

That "concerned and alarmed party" as you called it was literally, calling otherkins crazy and full of bullshit. Those otherkins could have been trans people easily. So i would rather not call it neighter concerned, nor alarmed. More like as i said, just being a bum. Next time that person might go after you, calling your choices of being non-binary a crazy bullshit, and tell you to go get theraphy for it and "get cured". Hopefully, that won't happen, but try to imagine yourself in that place, and rethink your message a bit.

Also, that was indeed an accusation i made against that person. An accusation based on the aggressive, pushy, rejecting and ignorant attitude they were showing and giving people in repeated occurances.

Zehlua

Magepunk Fashionisto
I have 2 kids, I've lives several decades, I am very happy with my life, and I know exactly what I am inside and out, thank you very much! <smiles and sticks toungue out at you while waving his claws> I won't claim to be sane, but this cat is far from what you describe as typical for a "other-than-human" soul. If you go in expecting something bizzare and uncomfortable, odds are you'll get it simply because by definition, they are bizzare to you and odds are make you uncomfortable. That's just self-fuffiling prophecy! <giggle>
Tbh I get a little weirded out by folks who use RP actions in every text or post... the blurred lines between reality and fiction are unsettling
I'm glad you're happy, I just don't vibe with you, and that's okay. Not everybody has to be bosom buddies with everybody. I got boundaries.

Mambi

Fun loving kitty cat
The moment you try to claim your Otherkin-ness as your identity, is the moment everyone who made those "Attack helicopter" jokes wins, and I'm just not about to let that happen, that's for certain.

Awww, but I LOVE the "attack helicopter" argument, because it's so easy to disprove! <giggle>

Simply ask them to tell me how an attack helicopter feels. It's inanimate so it feels nothing, only the pilot feels anything. Therefore the helicopter has no spirit for them to relate to and they are wrong. OR they are projecting the pilot's emotions onto the inanimate object.

Since neither of these 2 situations apply to otherkin, they are simply wrong and the 2 situations are not the same by definition. Easy!

Mambi

Fun loving kitty cat
Tbh I get a little weirded out by folks who use RP actions in every text or post... the blurred lines between reality and fiction are unsettling
I'm glad you're happy, I just don't vibe with you, and that's okay. Not everybody has to be bosom buddies with everybody. I got boundaries.

S'cool, you can be as weirded out as you wish, this place is very forgiving on weird, and we don't have to vibe at all! <giggle> Won't change anything in how I write because as you said, it IS fun and I am happy. Just showing you that your image of a typical otherkin is waaaay off. Never hurts to grow after all, and imagination can be a great thing...never let it go! <he tosses a scented jingleball in the air with a wink and a smile, diving after it playfully as you ignore him and move on...>