• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Your PC

Caecus

My goals have no limits!
PC
I5 3570K
gtx 660
Samsung evo 850 128gb
Caviar black 1tb
Caviar blue 1tb
Nexus 500W psu

Operating system: arch linux

Accessories
Blackstorm mouse
Logitech waterproof keyboard
Razer charcaisis
Huion H610

Monitors
Philips 4K 60hz 40"
Fujitsu 22"
Asus 22"

Liam The Red

"Dad" Fox
PC:
Asus motherboard
i5-4460
32G ram
Samsung 850 evo 480GB SSD
Dual Nvidia GTX 950
3- samsung 27" monitors ands one 42" (for watching movies while I game)

Server:
Dell poweredge T610
dual xeon CPU
128 GB ram
22 TB storage for Media (video/audio/etc)

(I have numerous and multiple other piles of crap laying around as well. Did I mention I'm a professional nerd?)

GreenZone

Banned
Banned
a bit cluttered right now but here's my current build its about a decade old now when i move back home i'll have more freedom to get a gucci "office" set up it still runs everything under the sun on max for the most part but its just getting worn out now

CPU: i7 930
GPU: GTX 660
Memory: 12 gig DDR3 triple channel (yes its that old)
HDD: 1.5 TB (barra)
Mobo: Gigabyte ultra durable

and this is part of my new build i'm keeping it at my family's place in my old bedroom

CPU: i7 7700k
GPU: MSI GTX 1070 8gb
Memory: 16 gig DDR4
HDD: 3tb barracuda
SSD: samsung 960 Evo 250gig
Mobo: MSI Z270 gaming M5

GreenZone

Banned
Banned
Not gonna hold out for one of the new i9's coming out soon? I'm drooling and thinking about the POWER!

Intel Core i9-7980XE 18-Core Monster CPU Reportedly Scheduled For Later This Year | HotHardware

i was gutted when i heard that cause i already got my motherboard but nah i wont

Linus did a good talk about it

its another server level CPU that the average consumer wont have a need for my new build is supposed to be future proof so it may sound like the i9 would be a good choice but im still running a i7 930.... and it runs everything fine (ish) after 10 years so i figure the 7700k will be the same

Saiko

GTWT Survivor
my new build is supposed to be future proof so it may sound like the i9 would be a good choice but im still running a i7 930....
Your stipulation about your 930 is correct. Having a brand new flagship processor is currently not necessary for a future-proof machine because desktop CPU tech makes very little progress in computational power these days. This means the maximum CPU overhead of consumer-grade software isn't able to increase very fast, and it's often limited by more stringent mobile constraints anyway. The bigger concern in future-proofing your desktop is in the GPU where performance is still following Moore's law, allowing exponentially more GPU overhead for games and the like. Unless they're running a large scale cloud service, multiple virtual machines, or highly parallelized and intensive computations, a consumer won't benefit from one of these i9's for an incredibly long time.

Liam The Red

"Dad" Fox
Your stipulation about your 930 is correct. Having a brand new flagship processor is currently not necessary for a future-proof machine because desktop CPU tech makes very little progress in computational power these days. This means the maximum CPU overhead of consumer-grade software isn't able to increase very fast, and it's often limited by more stringent mobile constraints anyway. The bigger concern in future-proofing your desktop is in the GPU where performance is still following Moore's law, allowing exponentially more GPU overhead for games and the like. Unless they're running a large scale cloud service, multiple virtual machines, or highly parallelized and intensive computations, a consumer won't benefit from one of these i9's for an incredibly long time.

Very true. Besides, what application have you heard of that's optimized for 18 physical cores/36 threads? There are barely even now any that are optimized for using the 4 physical cores that are common now.

A

ACaracalFromWork

Ughh, what's wrong with you poeple I had to clean my desk to show your my picture

That small box on the floor is the computer, I need to get a stand for it.
I7-7700k
16 gigs ram
Graphics card MSI 1050 TI
Samsung SDD 500 gigs for main
Toshiba HDD 2T for games
Mouse Evega Toro x10
Corsair Gaming keyboard K55 RGB
motherboard ASRock Z270M-ITX/ac LGA 1151
LG blue ray drive

I wanted a small ITX computer with Bluetooth and wifi enabled so I could easily bring the computer everywhere I wanted.
I highly recommend if you want to build your own ITX is make sure the case has a handle but it's eh you know.

Saiko

GTWT Survivor
Very true. Besides, what application have you heard of that's optimized for 18 physical cores/36 threads? There are barely even now any that are optimized for using the 4 physical cores that are common now.
Exactly, consumer grade software is typically too simple for that much parallelism. It'd have to be purpose-built software on a purpose-built machine.

I'm of the opinion that the true purpose of these devices is to demonstrate tangible, marketable progress in CPU design to investors and software devs rather than be used in actual machines. There's probably an element of "because it's cool" from the engineers buried in there too lol.

Liam The Red

"Dad" Fox
Exactly, consumer grade software is typically too simple for that much parallelism. It'd have to be purpose-built software on a purpose-built machine.

I'm of the opinion that the true purpose of these devices is to demonstrate tangible, marketable progress in CPU design to investors and software devs rather than be used in actual machines. There's probably an element of "because it's cool" from the engineers buried in there too lol.

Actually, we DO use them in virtualized server environments. It's awfully nice to be able to spin up another virtual machine whenever you want and have it powerful enough to do what you need without having to worry.

GreenZone

Banned
Banned
yeah but my PC is a decade old its literally worn out i need to upgrade

Liam The Red

"Dad" Fox
yeah but my PC is a decade old its literally worn out i need to upgrade

It sounds like you're off to a good start though. Should give you another several years of use.

Saiko

GTWT Survivor
Wait, that fan/radiator configuration is weird. Usually the radiator blows out the back or top, and the front is the intake. You have the radiator blowing out the front and either no intake, an obstructed front intake, or the top as the intake. Which direction are those top fans blowing?

GreenZone

Banned
Banned
Wait, that fan/radiator configuration is weird. Usually the radiator blows out the back or top, and the front is the intake. You have the radiator blowing out the front and either no intake, an obstructed front intake, or the top as the intake. Which direction are those top fans blowing?

the front has two vents on ontop one at the bottom so it actually is taking in air it looks obstructed but it has a rather big empty chamber on the front so it works same as if you took the front pannel off (ive tested this)

i may change the two radiator fans though cause i got 3 fans for the front originally but then i found out that Kaby Lake CPUs are known to overheat so i opted for watercooling but the 3 original fans are better than the 2 radiator fans they have a higher RPM and they have more airflow

the two fans at the top and the one at the back are exhaust

the CPU water cool fan is a unique design because instead of just cooling the CPU it blows cool air on the mobo and the reduces the case's overall temp

here's a video with more in depth

Last edited:

GigaBit

A hyperactive computer lovin' nerd.
Thought I'd post my builds.
I sadly don't have any pictures.

Main Computer
Base: Dell Optiplex 380
CPU: Core 2 Quad Q9400 @ 2.66GHz
RAM: 4GB DD3 @ 531Mhz
Graphics: Radeon R7 240 w/ 2GB GDDR3
Storage: Samsung EVO 850 250GB & WD3200AAJS 300GB

I originally got this computer as a trade from a friend and I've slowly upgraded it from then.
It plays low end games fairly well, but I don't use it for gaming much.
It gets the job done.

Secondary/Emulating Computer
Base: Custom built
CPU: AMD x64 Dual Core
RAM: 3GB DD2
Graphics: Radeon x800xt power color
Storage: Some WD HDD w/ 250GBs

I would have gone into better detail here but this computer is a pain to pull out and it was very late at night while I was writing this.
Anywho... I use this computer to emulate NES/SNES/Gensis games on my TV.
I had some issues with screen tearing for a while until I found out it was running my TV at 29hz Interlaced. I then set it up to 60hz and it runs fine now.
btw TV is an old Magnavox CRT (I have no idea what model).
It took me THIS freakin' long to finally get off my lazy butt and take pictures!
Anyhoo...
Main PC: [Upgraded] Dell Optiplex 380

Here's my main battle station. 2 Monitors, really awesome Bose speakers (My neighbor gave me them for free along with the Samsung monitor in the picture!), Dell Keyboard, Blackweb Mouse, and "Gary" the fox plushie.

The computer isn't really anything special, just an average office computer from 2010 with some upgrades.

The computer came with no HDD when I got it. So I found one: a 250gb HDD. I later put in a SSD which you can see "hanging around" in the bottom 5.25 in. drive bay.
Secondary PC: [Upgraded] Dell Dimension E521

I know what your're thinking: He's using a CRT monitor when there's a perfectly good LCD behind it!
There's a story behind that CRT. Not a very good one, but a story.
I recently picked up that monitor at a thrift store for $2. It's a pretty good monitor for $2. So I brought it home and decided to test it. When I started to test it, I fell in love with the crisp image the monitor provides. So that reason PLUS me being lazy, I've kept it there. (The other CRT I use for my wii.)

Here's the PC itself. Nothing much, just a Dell dimension E521 (Thank God that's a "5" not a "6".) with a few tweaks, like: New PSU, 6GBs of RAM, and Windows 7.

Here's the insides. Nothing much to marvel at, except that "sexy" cable work. Heh... heh...
Emulating PC: Custom Built

Here it is in all it's glory! The fabled "Emulating PC". I don't have any pictures of the insides, mostly due to how much of a pain the computer is to pull out. I did get a picture of it running Super Mario World though!

The computer was built with some spare parts I had lying around, most of them being from a custom built somebody gave me.

The moment of truth! The computer handles emulation very well, even though the fans are as loud as "HECK" sometimes.
It also plays this when it boots up:
https://soundcloud.com/id%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Fsoundcloud.com%252Fuser-502184835%252Fmm2stagestartgen%252Fs-BbHed%3Bsecret_token%3Ds-BbHed%3Btrack_id%3D336110297

GreenZone

Banned
Banned
It took me THIS freakin' long to finally get off my lazy butt and take pictures!
Anyhoo...
Main PC: [Upgraded] Dell Optiplex 380

Here's my main battle station. 2 Monitors, really awesome Bose speakers (My neighbor gave me them for free along with the Samsung monitor in the picture!), Dell Keyboard, Blackweb Mouse, and "Gary" the fox plushie.

The computer isn't really anything special, just an average office computer from 2010 with some upgrades.

The computer came with no HDD when I got it. So I found one: a 250gb HDD. I later put in a SSD which you can see "hanging around" in the bottom 5.25 in. drive bay.
Secondary PC: [Upgraded] Dell Dimension E521

I know what your're thinking: He's using a CRT monitor when there's a perfectly good LCD behind it!
There's a story behind that CRT. Not a very good one, but a story.
I recently picked up that monitor at a thrift store for $2. It's a pretty good monitor for $2. So I brought it home and decided to test it. When I started to test it, I fell in love with the crisp image the monitor provides. So that reason PLUS me being lazy, I've kept it there. (The other CRT I use for my wii.)

Here's the PC itself. Nothing much, just a Dell dimension E521 (Thank God that's a "5" not a "6".) with a few tweaks, like: New PSU, 6GBs of RAM, and Windows 7.

Here's the insides. Nothing much to marvel at, except that "sexy" cable work. Heh... heh...
Emulating PC: Custom Built

Here it is in all it's glory! The fabled "Emulating PC". I don't have any pictures of the insides, mostly due to how much of a pain the computer is to pull out. I did get a picture of it running Super Mario World though!

The computer was built with some spare parts I had lying around, most of them being from a custom built somebody gave me.

The moment of truth! The computer handles emulation very well, even though the fans are as loud as "HECK" sometimes.
It also plays this when it boots up:
https://soundcloud.com/id%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Fsoundcloud.com%252Fuser-502184835%252Fmm2stagestartgen%252Fs-BbHed%3Bsecret_token%3Ds-BbHed%3Btrack_id%3D336110297

are they work PCs or are they just everyday PCs?

GigaBit

A hyperactive computer lovin' nerd.
are they work PCs or are they just everyday PCs?
Everyday PCs.
Although the Emulating machine has no connection to the internet at all. It's job is strictly playing retro games.

GreenZone

Banned
Banned
I spent the weekend building a new desk:

where did the enclosures come from?

ive got the best desk back home in my old bedroom its one of those L shaped desks but its corporate so its big for starters has that hole to put cables through and its got a ton of shelf space and even a CD rack which isn't really needed these days but probably the most handy thing is that the PC enclosure is modular so there's a big one and a small one so if you use one and not the other you can turn the other into roll out shelves

I assume you mean those three white thingies i used as a base, i bought them at a thrift store many years ago and dunno what they are and wat their original use was.