• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Your preferred type of headphones?

DrDingo

Moved to phoenix.corvidae.org with the others
We all know that there are different types of headphones- there are the apple style bud ones, the rubber ones that you push into your ears, and those large ones that go over your head. Which type do you use and why?

Personally, I like the rubber ones that you push into your ears because I find them easy to put in and they don't fall out.

Taralack

Hit 'em right between the eyes
There are actually two sub categories of over the head headphones - circumaural and supra-aural. I've had both types over the years and I definitely prefer the circumaural type, but they're usually more expensive and can get a bit heavy on the head after extended use. Some types of supra-aural headphones are comfortable enough for me to stand with them pressing on my ear lobes for hours, but some I can't even stand for more than an hour. It really depends on the make and padding.

I currently rock a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-WS55s for outdoor use and AKG K44s for indoor use. I also have a pair of wireless Astro A50s for gaming and voice chat purposes.

/audiophile

PastryOfApathy

Anything that goes over my head and is comfortable, with decent bass. Clip-on headphones are atrocious and buds are only decent if you're at the Gym or something.

T

TheMetalVelocity

Over the ear big ones, but they can get uncomfortable, however they are probably the most secure and best sounding.

Hateful Bitch

Hang up your coat
Am I the only one who differentiates between earphones and headphones? Like earphones being the ones that going your ears, and headphones being when you have a big block that you press against your ear rather than putting it really inside. Whether or not the big block is connected by an arched piece of plastic or not. Sometimes you get them with a piece of plastic that hangs around the back of your ear. I guess what everyone things of as earbuds, I think of as earphones, and headphones being all the other sorts of speakers that you point directly into your skull.

Anyway, I prefer using in-ear earphones when I'm outside, and over-head headphones when inside. The latter are better, but I don't like wearing them in public. When you're done with them, they just hang uncomfortably around your neck, and you can't really put them anywhere. Not mine at least, since they don't store very neatly anywhere. You can easily just stuff earphones into your pocket once you're not using them, and put them out of sight.

Generally I don't like listening to music outside anyway. I like to think to myself while I'm out and about, and being more aware of my surroundings. The world generally doesn't sound that bad anyway, and it's okay to listen to.

Over-head heaphones are way better though for sound quality. Usually always wear them if I want to get engrossed in something. Generally they go unused though, since I just use the speakers.

Username3

I personally don't use earphones because oh my god earwax. So, yeah, headphones that don't go around your ears.

Last edited:

Taralack

Hit 'em right between the eyes
The world generally doesn't sound that bad anyway, and it's okay to listen to.
Not if you're stuck in a train carriage crowded full of yammering teenage girls.

I personally don't use earphones because oh my god earwax. So, yeah, headphones that don't go around your ears.
How dirty are your ears that you'll get earwax on them if you stick them in? o_O

BouncyOtter

I used to love my Bose around the ears headphones for my swim meets (many moons ago). They always worked wonderfully for me. When I was doing lab work, I wanted some in ear headphones that were comfortable because most of the ear buds I had used before ended up hurting my ears (especially those apple ones). I ended up getting Bose again, and I love them.

Kalmor

Banned
Banned
Am I the only one who differentiates between earphones and headphones? Like earphones being the ones that going your ears, and headphones being when you have a big block that you press against your ear rather than putting it really inside. Whether or not the big block is connected by an arched piece of plastic or not. Sometimes you get them with a piece of plastic that hangs around the back of your ear. I guess what everyone things of as earbuds, I think of as earphones, and headphones being all the other sorts of speakers that you point directly into your skull.
I do too, but I adapt to the American's way of differentiating while on the internet...

Hateful Bitch

Hang up your coat
Not if you're stuck in a train carriage crowded full of yammering teenage girls.

Trains are different. I mean stuff like walking through town or on a bus. Places you're not going to be staying in one place for long. When on a train you can kind of set yourself up for extended periods of time. I'm okay wearing over-head headphones in situations like that.

DrDingo

Moved to phoenix.corvidae.org with the others
Lots of people seem to be saying that the over-the-head ones sound great and are comfortable. Maybe I should get some, perhaps with a mic so I can do Skype while gaming.

Conker

Destroyer of Nazi Teddy Bears
The Apple earbud style for me. I don't like the extra long rubbery ones that go way in your ears as I find them uncomfortable. And ugly.

I need some new headphones though. My Apple ones are starting to show wear, and I'm sure they aren't the best in quality when you get right down to it.

TigerBeacon

Internet Hate Machine
I do love those big headphones with padding that cover my ears. I'm picky with my music-listening quality- I -really- want to listen to every subtle nuance in a song and be completely engrossed in the music.

I only wish I can find a way to listen to music in mono rather than stereo because I can't hear out of my right ear, and often there are parts of the music I'd never hear through headphones that I'm surprised are there when I listen over speakers.

Kosdu

Klipsch earphones with silicon inserts.

You can hear everything perfectly loud and clear at super high quality with very low volume no matter where you are. It is perfect for preserving your hearing, as you will never have to listen at anything near loud volume to hear only good, crisp music. I highly recommend these for flying.

Now compare these to those crappy ass apple earphones you have to deafen yourself with just to hear the music.

I think I have these and strongly recommend them if you don't break things easily:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002EL3P5U/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1367775837&sr=8-36&pi=SL75

Just don't fuck up the wire as it enters the earbud like I did once, and clean it with paper towels or napkins (or jeans) when they get dirty. Rolled up material if they get clogged.

There is an 8$ version of these with the same nifty (and comfy) silicon heads that looks nearly the same, but probably sounds worse.

If I am at home, I always prefer good quality speakers to headphones.

Last edited:

Grimfang999

I use Beyerdynamics DT250, headphones, and have been for nearly a year now. Excellent quallity with optimum comfort, and are able to be used for extensive periods of time before causing any sort of discomfort. Main issue is the bass, which for some songs and devices may require a headphone amp with a bass modification option. If anybody is looking for a pair of headphones of excellent quallity and under $200, I would check them out.

I dont mind Earphones, but its now pretty hard to find good quallity ones, while I cant stand earbuds, feels like Im having nsfw things stuck in my ears.

However, even though I love my headphones, while indoors I prefer speakers, though cant listen to music much because my housemate downstairs always complains if the bass goes beyond low volume >_>

T

TheMetalVelocity

I am currently using my Ultrasone HFI-450 surround sound headphones.

Percy

o-o
I like my over-the-head headphones. They generally have the highest quality sound to begin with. Plus, mine are pretty comfortable, which I can't really say the same regarding earbuds.

Jaseface

Bark! Bark!!
I like to use the in the ear kind when I'm out and about. When I'm DJ'ing without a fursuit head on I use the over the ear headphones. DJ'ing with a fursuit head on it depends on where my speakers are and such cause if I use the over the ear I have to turn them up even more to hear them well through the fur. If I can't have my main speakers loud enough to where you cant hear my OTE headphones. I will use the in the ear kind either running the cord down my neck or out of the heads mouth if I want to look funny.