• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Your saddest video game moment

Rap Daniel

Clever dino wizard boi
Banned
It had been months since No Man's Sky's Beyond update released, and I hadn't seen hide nor tail of a rare Exotic starship, excluding other players' ones. Not one! I would visit Trade Stations, keep reloading my autosave to refresh the swarm of NPCs that land there, and I never saw an Exotic.
Then, yesterday, I'm in my base, and I go outside and find an Exotic wanting to land on my one pad. I moved my ship off the pad. The Exotic doesn't land. I built 8 more pads nearby, and it didn't land. I took off in my starship, desperately hoping the Exotic would land, and the Exotic vanished. I felt betrayed. I felt like the game had taunted me with my greatest, most desperate desire, then cruelly burned it away in front of me.
Edit: I saw the same one yesterday at a Trade Station and bought it!

Last edited:

HistoricalyIncorrect

Shekel collector
I had those moments when I told someone through vc "See you tomorrow"

Last time online: 2 years ago...

volkinaxe

i am now on https://www.anthrodex.com
if you know the name sup matto then you way I have not played borderlands 1 2 or 3 in long time now

Mambi

Fun loving kitty cat
It had been months since No Man's Sky's Beyond update released, and I hadn't seen hide nor tail of a rare Exotic starship, excluding other players' ones. Not one! I would visit Trade Stations, keep reloading my autosave to refresh the swarm of NPCs that land there, and I never saw an Exotic.
Then, yesterday, I'm in my base, and I go outside and find an Exotic wanting to land on my one pad. I moved my ship off the pad. The Exotic doesn't land. I built 8 more pads nearby, and it didn't land. I took off in my starship, desperately hoping the Exotic would land, and the Exotic vanished. I felt betrayed. I felt like the game had taunted me with my greatest, most desperate desire, then cruelly burned it away in front of me.

I had a time when I bought Half Life 2 second-hand and was pretty excited about playing it. So I went online, did the usual login/register key, and it was already in use so I couldn't play the game. No biggie, I called the tech number and told them the situation and asked them to release the key. They asked me to prove I owned the game so I sent them a flat-scanner pic of the box with the key showing, my receipt, and a clock with the current date, and the physical disk. She laughed and agreed that I definitely owned the game. SO far so good, the system works, right?

So she types and types and then tells me my new key that she just generated for me and tells me to log in and try again. I thank her and hang up to do so right away. (I forgot...at the time this was DIAL-UP internet, so I could talk to her OR test the game but not both at the same time). SO I entered the key she just gave me...and was told it was ALREADY LOCKED OUT. (???) I called her back and sure enough in between me hanging up and dialing again, someone in the world using a cracker generator or something actually went in and used that key...maybe 50 seconds tops! The girl was flabbergasted but the proof of fraud was obvious (the user registered from Europe and I was obviously not in Europe) so she entered yet another key after killing off the one she just made, and told me to try again.

SAME RESULT!!! It took 5 tries before I finally slipped into the game first to register my own key! Success, yay! I played for a while, then hung up and called her back to let her know it succeeded and to thank her.

AS I called her, she started to apologize and I was confused. She told me she "knew why I was calling" and with a sigh started entering a new key. I started to tell her that it DID work, but apparently the key was locked out due to excessive attempts to use it WHILE I WAS PLAYING!

I told her to not bother, took the disk, and immediately downloaded a cracked version because this was getting ridiculous!!! Days later I got a message informing me that I was using a cracked version and when I explained why I was using one it was no excuse to them so I was locked out AGAIN!!!

At that point, I took the disk, threw it against the wall to watch it shatter, and realized that NO game is worth this kind of BS!!!

One thing I can think of as of now at least is from Penumbra black plague. I guess this would fall into an intentional narrative sad moment that took me by surprise. The game is one out of many horror games released from the same studio that made the more well known Amnesia games. But getting to the point I added a spoiler tag since I warmly recommend that game.

There's this longer section in the game where you get information/somewhat interact with one of the few last living scientists in the big underground bunker and labs that most of the game takes place. Most of the game is really you and the "monsters", but over the time spent you develop a little of a bond with them even if you only really get to hear their voice through an intercom from time to time, as a break from the crazy parts where you are being chased down hallways.

From the start your goal kinda becomes to reach them and help them from being locked in, you've been through quite a lot in the game when you finally manage to reach their location and in your mind, you may think that you're actually getting somewhere. The game throws two hard curve balls at you however. The first one being that as you enter the specific room you believe them to be in, you get attacked by one of the monsters, forcing you to find a way to dispose of said monster. The 2nd one is that when you finally manage to kill them, for one reason or another people who played this game through before knows about, you actually didn't kill the monster, you killed said scientist you were there for. The game really manage to make it feel like it's your fault and completely pull the rug from under your feet. In many games you get this slow preparation of what might is about happen or that things become a bit too obvious, but never had a game before given me such a hopeless and sad feeling from playing it like Penumbra black plague did at that point in the game.

OffBased

Saddest gaming moment for me comes from Breath of the Wild.

I was just walking through one of the ruined towns. I don't remember quite where it was, but it was so dilapidated that it didn't even have a name on the map. I looked around at all of the rubble and overgrowth and I get this overwhelming sense of melancholy. I could never talk the people that lived there. I could never know what happened in this town. It was all gone before I had to chance to see it.

I think it only hit me so hard because I've felt like that before. Years ago, a new family member died just weeks after being born. I never really felt bad about it at the time because I was so young, but I understood why my whole family mourned him. But as I grew up, I thought about him every now and then and what he could have been like. The fact that a game could make me remember those emotions so vividly without saying anything continues to amaze me.

Tallow_Phoenix

Totally not a vampire
I played Wizardry for the NES for the first time a couple years ago (thinking about replaying it). Basically, the whole game is one dungeon. It's one of those games where you make and name your party members, basically rolling for your stats like in D&D. Once I got an amazing roll - ended up with a rad Dwarven Samurai. I gave everyone nonsense names because character permadeath is a thing, so this rad samurai's name was Chitin.

Chitin was the goddamn best. He carried the team. One-shot goblins, protected the party with his beefy stats. But one day, a group of high-leveled enemies ambushed the party, and Chitin fell. Only the thief survived; he had to flee the dungeon on his own.

Found out later that you can go back into the dungeon and bring back their fallen bodies - there's a resurrection spell with a chance of failure, but it was still a chance to bring him back. I searched everywhere, but the dungeon is a maze, and I never found him. Rest in peace, rad dwarf samurai.

F

FrostHeart

Both ending A and B in GTA5 make me depressed, no clue why. Also the kid in Helgen, (vanilla start to Skyrim) when his dad is killed by Alduin, right in front of him (when you jump to the inn and find Hadvar) because I lost my dad and know his pain.

LeFay

Professional meme inspector
The "In your Sword Still Beats a Heart" scene from Hellblade Senua's sacrifice.

The game has many depressing and disturbing moments. I think the entire game is a beautiful work of art and teaches many lessons about the self, mental illness and bravery.

Theres a part when you enter the gate to the bridge where senua is engulfed in darkness and the voices in her head start telling her about how its her fault for letting Dillion die. She sees a silhoutte of a mangled version of her lover while the voices tell her its her fault and theres this long dialogue about hopelessness and what she has to do to bring him back. The voices change into screeching, angry and violent voices that sound like growls and roars before she starts crying out for help, then darkness takes her and theres an overvoice. I won't link it here as it can possibly be considered mildly graphic as you only see the silhouette but the scene is called "In your sword still beats a heart"

Xitheon

The cat's mother.

Half-life 2 episode 2.

What makes it heartwrenching is Eli's plea to Alyx to look away. He knows he's going to die, in horrible pain, and what he does in his final moments is to tell his daughter that he loves her and begs her to look away, not wanting her to suffer the agony of watching him die.

I'm crying and I am not ashamed.

TR273

Pirate Fox Mom
The endings to Outcast and Dreamfall both hit me hard. Dreamfall especially, I haven't finished that game since my initial playthrough, I was pretty miserable for a week after I'd finished that one.

Stratelier

Beating Okami. I didn't want the adventure to end.
I often feel this way about action/adventure and RPG's in general (apart from the obviously linear ones).

My saddest moment however is the buildup to that final battle in Shadow of the Colossus. Pure heartbreak, no takebacks, you just HAVE to face that final boss before calling it a session. And when you do, instead of a climactic orchestral score for the music you get ... somber, melancholy, tragic piano. And rain. Lots of rain. THEY KNEW.

Compare the "Midna's Lament" moment halfway through Twilight Princess, then multiply it by five. It's simply too sad to spoil.

Arnak

Off the bench
I often feel this way about action/adventure and RPG's in general (apart from the obviously linear ones).

My saddest moment however is the buildup to that final battle in Shadow of the Colossus. Pure heartbreak, no takebacks, you just HAVE to face that final boss before calling it a session. And when you do, instead of a climactic orchestral score for the music you get ... somber, melancholy, tragic piano. And rain. Lots of rain. THEY KNEW.

Compare the "Midna's Lament" moment halfway through Twilight Princess, then multiply it by five. It's simply too sad to spoil.
I wish I could play the sequel (okamiden) but my DS is broken

Ra'ara Su'nai

The golden-voiced fox
It's an older, and somewhat obscure N64 title, Hey You Pikachu. At the end they actually make you reenact the saddest moment from the pokemon anime, when Ash tried to leave his Pikachu with a large group of them thinking it would be happy with them. Yes, they make you say goodbye to the Pikachu that your character has spent so much time forming a friendship with in the effort to let Pikachu return to the wild and be happy there.

Made me cry when I was a kid. I don't get quite so emotionally attached to video game characters anymore, but back then, it was an emotional sniper bullet.

Kinare

RAWR
FF6 had a few of sad stories in it. Despite it making me have the feels, it's still one of my favorite games of all time.

More of a sad+rage thing, but Ark has done some hella depressing things to me. The only way I die in that game anymore is via bug, which almost always means no recovering inventory or any creatures. I've sadragequit the game multiple times for depressing me so much that I can't will myself to continue afterwards. Now I'm the owner of my own server, so if I can see a bug is about to fuck me over I can make myself and a critter I'm riding invincible and if needed we can go through objects, so that removes much of the heartache. There's still some that if they popped up I'd be screwed, but luckily those are rare and you have to almost intentionally set them off.

Spartan-666

"I need a weapon" - John-117
In Donkey Kong 64, I made it to the final room in Hideout Helm, but couldn't get the key because I just couldn't beat the Donkey Kong arcade game for the Nintendo coin, so I glitched out of bounds to get the key without the coin.

GarthTheWereWolf

Captious Lycanthrope of Forum Legend
This is me preeeeeetty much every time I beat Final Fantasy X.